Pod Your Reef

Fauna Marin Professional Salt

Canadianeh

CaCo3 is calcium carbonate, so there is some confusion there I'm going to guess the 1015 number is the magnesium which is low, but again I'm confused,what test kit are you using?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CaCo3 is calcium carbonate, so there is some confusion there I'm going to guess the 1015 number is the magnesium which is low, but again I'm confused,what test kit are you using?

I am using Exact Idip 570 photometer. I think I need to leave the water for a few hours before I test it.

This is the reply from Claude from Fauna Marin Germany:

Thanks for your Mail, i did not know if you know that we run the largest saltwater research laboratory in the world so we check also each salt batch several time with 5 different modern laboratory machines, like ICP , IS , IDE and many more.

If you can send the batch nr. then i can send you the production sheets and tests results.

I can guarantee you the salt has the recommended level.

The best way to test is

1. after 2 hours

2. you dilute a higher amount of salt

3. you did not store the test in the fridge

4. Use RO Water and make sure all is diluted

rtds claude

If mag is 1015, its low.

I always test my water 2hrs after mixing.

I'm not sure what they are referring to with refrigeration?

There should be a batch number on the container of the salt. If you send him that, he can give you more info

I am using Exact Idip 570 photometer. I think I need to leave the water for a few hours before I test it.

This is the reply from Claude from Fauna Marin Germany:

Thanks for your Mail, i did not know if you know that we run the largest saltwater research laboratory in the world so we check also each salt batch several time with 5 different modern laboratory machines, like ICP , IS , IDE and many more.

If you can send the batch nr. then i can send you the production sheets and tests results.

I can guarantee you the salt has the recommended level.

The best way to test is

1. after 2 hours

2. you dilute a higher amount of salt

3. you did not store the test in the fridge

4. Use RO Water and make sure all is diluted

rtds claude

1015 is your magnesium then I would have someone else check just to see how close your testing equipment is.
  • 3 weeks later...

Subject of the test is 10 gallons of freshly made seawater with 1.027 salinity using Fauna Marin Professional Salt after 24 hours period mixing.
LFS test results
PH 8.2
Alkalinity 7 dkh
Calcium 360 ppm
No Magnesium test was performed. Not sure why, and I didn't ask
Red Sea Pro test kit results
PH 8.2
Alkalinity 9.1 dkh(not sure why it is much higher. I tested twice and asked second opinion on the color results)
Calcium 445 ppm
Magnesium 1600 ppm (again this is much higher. Performed the test twice with same result)
Exact Idip 570nm test kit results
PH 8.3
Alkalinity 7.12 dkh
Calcium 420 ppm
Magnesium 1131.93 ppm (it says on the screen "1131.93 ppm (as Mg +2). I don't know what "Mg +2" means)

I also test the Fauna Marin reference solution using Idip and Red Sea Pro. Here are the results:
Idip results
Alkalinity 5.5-5.94 dkh (on the bottle of reference solution says 6.6 dkh)
Calcium 296 ppm (on the bottle says 422 mg/l)
Magnesium 1029 ppm as Mg+2 (on the bottle says 1315 mg/l)
Red Sea Pro results
Alkalinity 7 dkh (on the bottle says 6.6 dkh)
Calcium 405 ppm (on the bottle says 422 mg/l)
Magnesium 1440 ppm (the bottle says 1315 mg/l)

Fauna Marin specs:
Chemical composition/Chemische Zusammensetzung
Magnesium: 1.250 - 1.340 mg/l
Calcium: 410 - 440 mg/l
Pottassium / Kalium: 380 - 400 mg/l
Natrium: 10.300 - 10.700 mg/l
Chloride: 19.100 – 19.800 mg/l
Sulphate / Sulfat: 2650 – 2750 mg/l
Alkalinität in dKH: 8,0–8,5°
pH-Wert: 8,0–8,4
Strontium: 7,0–9,0 mg/l

The Idip is picking Calcium and Alk number much closer to the Fauna Marin Professional salt specs. I don't know if this is due to Idip application software upgrade or something else. I don't roll the salt bucket each time I make a new mix. The Alk number is still under the manufacture's specs.

Let me know if you have any question.

Based on the reference sample testing, it looks like the Red Sea Pro test kit is giving the closest results. One of the reasons you are getting higher than normal results, is that you are mixing to 1.027 versus 1.025 specific gravity.

When you mix salt depending on the specific gravity the numbers will change. The higher the sg, the higher the results.

Also depending on the salt mix, there may be specific instructions on method of mixing and duration of mix before it effects the parameters. Does your salt specify on the label any instructions or mixing time?

Red sea coral pro is an example of a salt that has specific instructions. Its not to be mixed for more than 4hrs and no pump or heater is to be used until the salt has been mixed for 2hrs.

Archived