Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fauna Marin Professional Salt

Canadianeh

You could roll it back and forth to try to redistribute the mix.

The salt is inside the factory plastic bag. It is really tight in a 5 gallon bucket. It is possible if I dump the salt directly to the 5 gallon bucket, but I prefer it stays in the plastic bag for more dryness.

Is it really because the salt did not mix well from the factory? It just looks like white salt. I don't see any different mixtures.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ca is calcium

Mag is magnesium

These 2 work with alk. if magnesium is low, often keeping balance between alk and ca is difficult.

This is my Calcium

Calcium Ultra high 1050 ppm (as CAC03) or 61.34 gpg or 58.83 dgh or 420 ppm (as Ca) or 105.00 fh or 73.50 eH

Magnesium effects alk and ca. if its low, those 2 won't balance.

Rolling the bucket is something many do. You can't see the inconsistencies in salt. Its within the mixes of batches.

I always stir or roll the salt prior to use to get an even distribution.

I'm not familar with the test kit you're using so I'm not sure on the accuracy of it.

If your tank is newly started, your levels may be off as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So I made a new batch of saltwater tonight. I mixed up the salt up and down and I am still getting low Alkalanity.

Alk 4.65 dkh or 1.66 mEq/L

Ph 8.0

Calcium 488 ppm

Just.pitch it. What are the water parameters in your tank now?

What does it mean by "just pitch it"? Sorry I am a noob

Water parameters:

8.0 ph

Salinity 1.26

Temp 78

What else you want to know?

You are having problems with this salt mix, so I was suggesting that you stop using it (and get rid of it). Even if the mix was just unevenly distributed, the remaining salt now has the wrong ratios to ever mix properly.

I was asking about calcium and alkalinity (the parameters that have been off in your salt mix). If you have been using this salt, your tank parameters should be off now. I'm interested in knowing by how much.

You are having problems with this salt mix, so I was suggesting that you stop using it (and get rid of it). Even if the mix was just unevenly distributed, the remaining salt now has the wrong ratios to ever mix properly.

I was asking about calcium and alkalinity (the parameters that have been off in your salt mix). If you have been using this salt, your tank parameters should be off now. I'm interested in knowing by how much.

I put the result on Calcium and Alkalinity in my previous post before your post.

They are:

Alk 4.65 dkh or 1.66 mEq/L

Ph 8.0

Calcium 488 ppm

Only the Alkalinity that is soo low. Everything else seems okay. Maybe I should try to get a different test kit just to compare the result? I am using Exact Idip right now.

We need the following results:

results of ca, alk, mag from waterchange mixed water

Display tank results of ca, alk, mag after water change

I'd either contact the company and inform them of the inconsistent results, you can dose, or use a different salt.

I wouldn't start dosing at this stage.

Your ca is pretty high could be causing the low alk. They work together, as one increases, the other drops. Thats why its best to use 2 part dosers when dosing is needed.

Magnesium is really important for the balance of ca and alk. If mag is low, the other 2 will have difficulty balancing.

We need the following results:

results of ca, alk, mag from waterchange mixed water

Display tank results of ca, alk, mag after water change

I'd either contact the company and inform them of the inconsistent results, you can dose, or use a different salt.

I wouldn't start dosing at this stage.

Your ca is pretty high could be causing the low alk. They work together, as one increases, the other drops. Thats why its best to use 2 part dosers when dosing is needed.

Magnesium is really important for the balance of ca and alk. If mag is low, the other 2 will have difficulty balancing.

Why you don't recommend me to start dosing now? I still can use the salt if I dose right? Should I dose kalkwasser?

Someone is giving me one clown fish tomorrow and I will put him into QT tank for few weeeks. Will low Alk and a bit higher Calcium kill the clown?

Why you don't recommend me to start dosing now? I still can use the salt if I dose right? Should I dose kalkwasser?

Someone is giving me one clown fish tomorrow and I will put him into QT tank for few weeeks. Will low Alk and a bit higher Calcium kill the clown?

It looks like you posted the parameters of the newly mixed saltwater, but not of your tank. So it's hard to make a call on the suitability of dosing or adding livestock. Have you already made the water for the QT tank? Do you know the alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels in that tank? You should really get your system stable before adding anything. But like ABC stated, clownfish are pretty forgiving.

In my opinion, dosing should be used to replenish consumed elements, and not to compensate for a bad batch of salt mix. I would just purchase new salt (preferably a different brand), instead of trying to "fix" what you have. Plus, all this testing (and potential dosing) wouldn't be necessary if you got a salt mix you could trust.

Yes they were a newly mixed saltwater parameters. Having said that, isn't the manufacture specs based on a newly mixed saltwater though?

At the beginning of my cycle I git around 4 dkh of Alk and when I took it to Big Als LFS, they measured 6 Kh. Isn't KH the same as dkh of Alkalinity?

This person is living for a vacation for a while and he is giving his one and only clown fish to me. My plan is to do a 10 gallons WC again tomorrow before I pick up the fish and use the water from the WC for my QT tank and use my old filter floss from day 1 of cycling. This should carry enough bacteria for the QT tank.

I spent $100 on this Fauna Marin professional salt and I just used not even half of it. Is it really bad to use kalkwasser in conjuction with this salt until I finish the batch?

Please let me know. I can't believe that I am getting this problem from a company who makes good products. Do you have any salt brand name and model recommendation?

It looks like you posted the parameters of the newly mixed saltwater, but not of your tank. So it's hard to make a call on the suitability of dosing or adding livestock. Have you already made the water for the QT tank? Do you know the alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels in that tank? You should really get your system stable before adding anything. But like ABC stated, clownfish are pretty forgiving.

In my opinion, dosing should be used to replenish consumed elements, and not to compensate for a bad batch of salt mix. I would just purchase new salt (preferably a different brand), instead of trying to "fix" what you have. Plus, all this testing (and potential dosing) wouldn't be necessary if you got a salt mix you could trust.

I've told you what I'd do, but do what you want.

Alkalinity test kits measure in meq/L, dKH, or ppm. The term dKH means degrees of carbonate hardness (or just KH which means carbonate hardness, and is used interchangeably).

I'm not sure what's wrong with your batch of salt. I'm guessing that the contents settled during shipping or it was exposed to humidity or other moisture. I don't know what choices you have. Instant Ocean isn't the best salt, but it is cheap and it's commonly used.

You could also contact the store or manufacturer about your results. Maybe they would be willing to replace your batch.

I've told you what I'd do, but do what you want.

Alkalinity test kits measure in meq/L, dKH, or ppm. The term dKH means degrees of carbonate hardness (or just KH which means carbonate hardness, and is used interchangeably).

I'm not sure what's wrong with your batch of salt. I'm guessing that the contents settled during shipping or it was exposed to humidity or other moisture. I don't know what choices you have. Instant Ocean isn't the best salt, but it is cheap and it's commonly used.

You could also contact the store or manufacturer about your results. Maybe they would be willing to replace your batch.

ThanKS Seabass. I always value your opinion based on your experience. To waste $100 of salt by not using it is so hard for me to do. I have contacted the store and manufacturer and will go from there. Maybe if I finish this batch I will just go with IO reef crystal.

Alk effects ph. So if alk is low, it can effect the ph. I don't test my ph as long as alk is normal.

The reason we ask for your actual tanks params is because after doing a water change, it can be different than the results of the mixed water. I had this consistently happen with reef crystals.

We aren't advising dosing because most don't dose in the beginning. Most dose for usage of the tank inhabitants.

My waters alk is 9 but within a day its 8.5 so i dose a small amount every day to keep it stable. Thats because my tank is full of sps and lps using up params but I have not dosed to make my newly mixed water reach certain levels.

All salt brands advertise their params, my experience has been, they aren't accurate.

I use esv bionic. I prefer liquid dosers to powder. I always advise using 2 part doser because when you raise alk, ca drops and vice versa. 2 part dosers keep them balanced as you dose equal parts.

As advised, i'd contact the manufacturer and discuss with them the salt issue. There are bad batches with every brand.

I wouldn't advise dosing at this point. Your tank is only in the cycle phase. There is a ton of instability within the next 7 mnths. Getting into dosing at this stage is a bit early.

So here is the intank water parameter folks:

November 20th

Nitrite 0

Nitate 8 ppm

Alk 5.83 dKh or 2.08 meq/L

Calcium 436 ppm

THH 5274 ppm as CaCO3

Magnesium 4184 ppm as CACO3 or 1015.88 Mg +2 (don't know which number that you guys use here)

PH 8.2

Phosphate 0

Here are the acceptable levels (and standard units of measure):
parameters_chart.jpg

My thought is that your magnesium level is low, which is causing alkalinity to fall out of suspension.

Edit: Oops, I already posted that chart in this thread. :blush:

I'm confused by the mag results.

Is it 4184

Or 1015?

If its low, it definitely could be the cause of the alk/ca inbalance

The result gives different measurement units. 4184 ppm as CaCo3 or 1015.88 ppm Mg +2

To be honest I don't know the difference between the two measurement units

Archived