ReefCleaners.org

Nicky J's IM Fusion 25 Lagoon

nickyJ

1 hour ago, colinlevy said:

@nickyJ

You still using the Reef Glass skimmer? 

I am getting ready to throw my IM Ghost Skimmer out the window (literally)

Just trying to look for a replacement

Yes I am. It doesn't produce a ton but what is does pull out is very nasty looking / smelling so I keep it running. I would recommend a very small air pump if you go the Reef Glass route - helps a lot keeping noise down.

1 hour ago, nickyJ said:

Yes I am. It doesn't produce a ton but what is does pull out is very nasty looking / smelling so I keep it running. I would recommend a very small air pump if you go the Reef Glass route - helps a lot keeping noise down.

I am not familiar with Reef Glass skimmers or these types

Any specific pump you are using? I have a few cheap ones from the LFS

Also, do you have your waste output far from your unit? 

19 hours ago, colinlevy said:

I am not familiar with Reef Glass skimmers or these types

Any specific pump you are using? I have a few cheap ones from the LFS

Also, do you have your waste output far from your unit? 

The pump I'm using is called Marina 50 and it's much more quiet than when I had a whisper pump. Whatever you have is likely fine. My waste container is close hiding right behind the tank. Search Mame skimmer if you want to read up on them. My take is they aren't great but better than nothing.

Thanks for the help!

I pulled the trigger on it during cyber Monday. Got the skimmer, an air pump, and some extra tubing for $80 shipped (and will get it tomorrow, so even better) 

Here are some fresh pictures. If anyone knows a nano friendly critter that eats red turf algae I would be open to suggestions. It's starting to take over to the point I'm introducing some gsp and glove polyps in and effort to over grow it.

BLgW3LuYaoO2A_oUKwxaLipsD85YR5x-BUAAOprc

IYX3nKuuJUGGjpU8uOLfJEC81Laewkc7t6FKM59B

iumqjRzfSuGFImc42ZkVWdoL0pDOpblklxsTNhd7

tZ2REZE77IB823DfAWCdN-pj1-bfk-SDU9jq0W8x

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thinking my next two moves for this tank are going to be switching to an Icecap 2k gyre pump and trying out Aquaforest probiotic salt. Any have experience with either of those they feel like sharing? I mostly want the pump to make the tank look more symmetrical and to open up some new aquascape options. As for the salt I'm hoping to see more growth than I've gotten in the past year with ESV but want a salt which mixes quickly without a residue.

I added a Chaetomax fuge light to replace my drop in halogen bulb 6 weeks ago and have gone from hardly being able to keep Chaeto alive to having an overflowing fuge chamber every week when I do my water change. (also went from 24h light to 12 on 12 off) so I would definitely recommend the light to anyone having trouble like I was.

Edited by nickyJ
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it has slowed down the red turf progression - unfortunately it is already everywhere I'm planning to get a tuxedo urchin to go after it next but I am moving in a month and am waiting until after than for any changes. My chaeto growth has also slowed since the first few weeks but I take that as a sign my nutrients are lower overall now.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

quick update - I moved about half a mile up the street on March 24th. Limited casualties with the tank ... lost a porcelain crab and bleached some sps and coraline which is starting to bounce back already. Just added two icecap products I'm happy with so far the 1k gyre pump and 1k nano protein skimmer. Also got a tuxedo urchin in hopes he can help me with me algae issues. (so wish I had room for tang) I gave my rocks a good scrub in the move and am in a better place algae wise. Hoping to get my system running cleaner and see some faster growth than I've had in the past. This tank has been very healthy since the start but growth has been slow across the board. I wonder if ESV salt + limited to no dosing has my levels low ... might be time to break down and finally buy some test kits / Hanna checkers.

Here are some new pics. Fish photobombing all my attempts at coral shots.

New rockscape

IMG_20180415_132320.thumb.jpg.cddeef76dd4705d15918ebf2f4cd249c.jpg

Got this torch in a trade recently since it wasn't doing well in their tank - opening a bit more for me everyday

IMG_20180415_132648.thumb.jpg.73aa04ff39d0d9adb3734e6b7e5654cc.jpgIMG_20180415_132703.thumb.jpg.3ccc6f23f25c6bf400688422682b382c.jpgIMG_20180415_132714.thumb.jpg.1af0d1900fec992d777873a71e30b3ae.jpg

IMG_20180415_132343.thumb.jpg.518dcb244561ca67989fae7b75cb6d4c.jpg

This poor monti didn't handle the move so well

IMG_20180415_132638.thumb.jpg.39fb54c9835c23848eb48cc1fdadd095.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The urchin has finally helped me turned the tide against this algae and I am liking the change to Red Sea coral pro salt. Will try to post some updated pics soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What I've always wanted for this tank has finally begun - my 2 BTAs are now 5 BTAs. Trying to find a new rock layout that suits everyone. Also dealing with some Cyano and melting Zoas. Will post some pics soon.

Also since my last post I've lost the Potter's Angel and replaced him with a sixline wrasse

• 2 months later...

My Radion died on 6/6/19 but is coming back with new G3 LED pucks hopefully tomorrow - some zoas have died but but hoping it would be a major loss