Day #28

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.35 ppm

Nitrate 17 ppm

Ph 8

Alk 5.5 dKh

Calcium 356 ppm

THH 5193 as CaCO3

Magnesium 4303 as CaCO3 / 1044.77 ppm (Mg +2) / 4113.67 ppm (MgCl)

Residual Alk -770 ppm

Is it safe to say that my tank is cycled now?

Looks like you are almost there! I would wait a couple more days, once the Nitrite is down to 0ppm. Then perform a larger water change. That was 2 weeks ago though so I am guessing your tank is cycled now?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you are almost there! I would wait a couple more days, once the Nitrite is down to 0ppm. Then perform a larger water change. That was 2 weeks ago though so I am guessing your tank is cycled now?

yes. I added 3 Margarita snails and 3 trochus snails last night, and I will buy Astrea snails this weekend.

My 2 clowns are in QT tank with Prazipro for one week. Then they will go for another week with paraguard. 3rd week they will go to DT.

I am worried that one of the clown is not eating and like to stay on the bottom and not active. This morning he was tilting to the side.

do not smoke the reef(er)

yes. I added 3 Margarita snails and 3 trochus snails last night, and I will buy Astrea snails this weekend.

My 2 clowns are in QT tank with Prazipro for one week. Then they will go for another week with paraguard. 3rd week they will go to DT.

I am worried that one of the clown is not eating and like to stay on the bottom and not active. This morning he was tilting to the side.

What have you tried feeding the clowns so far?

I have just added my 2nd clown and it was not eating for the first couple days. Was using mysis shrimp and SA hatchery diet. I changed the flow up in the tank and when feeding i turned off the return pump. This helped some it seemed and now the clown is eating the pellets.

Hope the clown makes it!

What have you tried feeding the clowns so far?

I have just added my 2nd clown and it was not eating for the first couple days. Was using mysis shrimp and SA hatchery diet. I changed the flow up in the tank and when feeding i turned off the return pump. This helped some it seemed and now the clown is eating the pellets.

Hope the clown makes it!

PE mysis pellet and another brand pellet both 1mm pellet.

do not smoke the reef(er)

PE mysis pellet and another brand pellet both 1mm pellet.

Keep your fingers crossed. Some clowns can be finicky eaters at first, good thing they are hardy :D I would only really start to get worried if they have not eaten for 3 days or more.

Not sure if it's been said yet, but watch out putting your rocks so close to the glass. You need room to be able to clean the glass. Looks good, though. Patience is key at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...

looks great...I would pull some of those rocks away from the glass now, as I assure you, if you dont now, you will later.

It is due for another FTS. :) Will post another one soon.

I have one of those Kent Marine extendable srubbie and I think they are thin enough to fit between the glass and rock.

burtbollinger

It is due for another FTS. :) Will post another one soon.

I have one of those Kent Marine extendable srubbie and I think they are thin enough to fit between the glass and rock.

your call...was just a mistake I made early on...just trying to help :)

your call...was just a mistake I made early on...just trying to help :)

What am I doing wrong? Sound like you know something I don't know.

Is it not enough that I have a tool that can reach the tight spaces? Let me know.

burtbollinger

In the LONG term, my guess is you will wish that you had more space there, thats all...when the rock is that tight against the glass, there's just nothing to do in that area...any coral you mounted there will be jammed too tight as well.

its basically a case of: "as you plan the rockwork, visualize the space that the corals will take up." the goal isnt a sweet looking rockwork as much as it is a functional rockwork. your rockwork looks nice now, but I think a few of us are seeing where it wont be as functional as you are gonna want it in a few months.

fixing it now will be easier than later :) You dont have to go nuts, the quickest fix is just pull that rock on the far front right, or reposition. as you move, just be careful not scratching your glass.

In the LONG term, my guess is you will wish that you had more space there, thats all...when the rock is that tight against the glass, there's just nothing to do in that area...any coral you mounted there will be jammed too tight as well.

its basically a case of: "as you plan the rockwork, visualize the space that the corals will take up." the goal isnt a sweet looking rockwork as much as it is a functional rockwork. your rockwork looks nice now, but I think a few of us are seeing where it wont be as functional as you are gonna want it in a few months.

fixing it now will be easier than later :) You dont have to go nuts, the quickest fix is just pull that rock on the far front right, or reposition. as you move, just be careful not scratching your glass.

You mean the liverock at the front right corner?

If that is the one you are talking about, yes I have moved it a bit to the left since the pic was taken. Like I said, it is due for another FTS :)

New addition :)

IMG-20170103-WA0004_zpsbdgntisw.jpeg

My RBTA has moved and now it seems to settled behind the same rock on the sand on this picture.

My question is it has been two days now and he looks the same. What I mean is he has not fully extended his tentacles.

Is this normal? Can I try to feed him now?

RIP Sebastian

How old is your tank? If it is not stable (which it doesn't appear to be-your rocks and sand are a stark white), it could be a nutrient issue. Perhaps it is just adjusting to its new environment. Maybe it's still healing itself- it looks like it may have been cut recently.

Nick

How old is your tank? If it is not stable (which it doesn't appear to be-your rocks and sand are a stark white), it could be a nutrient issue. Perhaps it is just adjusting to its new environment. Maybe it's still healing itself- it looks like it may have been cut recently.

Nick

it is 2 months old. It was attached to a frag rack and it was removed. It is attached to stone last night, and after I turned off the light it perked up and start to move around.

This morning I discovered that it has moved under the breeding box (overhanging) that I use to hide my LPS.

I don't want him to stay there as the reason I hide my LPS is so that he can find his spot and stay.

Can I remove him and put him back on rocks?

RIP Sebastian

it is 2 months old. It was attached to a frag rack and it was removed. It is attached to stone last night, and after I turned off the light it perked up and start to move around.

This morning I discovered that it has moved under the breeding box (overhanging) that I use to hide my LPS.

I don't want him to stay there as the reason I hide my LPS is so that he can find his spot and stay.

Can I remove him and put him back on rocks?

You really shouldn't have a nem in your tank until the tank is 6+ months old. I think it may be a nutrient issie.

You really shouldn't have a nem in your tank until the tank is 6+ months old. I think it may be a nutrient issie.

I couldn't resist :(

It moved the second time now into a second crevices behind the rock hiding. I can't really see him, but he perks up back there.

RIP Sebastian

I couldn't resist :(

It moved the second time now into a second crevices behind the rock hiding. I can't really see him, but he perks up back there.

Just let him go. Resist impulses.

Just let him go. Resist impulses.

Resisting impulse purchases and having patience is a tough lesson we all usually have to learn in this hobby - and they are usually expensive lessons if we try to rush things. Ask me how I know. <_<

Is that last picture your current scape? I like it, but it still looks like you don't have much space between the rocks and the glass. I made that mistake in my 40B and again learned the hard way.

Resisting impulse purchases and having patience is a tough lesson we all usually have to learn in this hobby - and they are usually expensive lessons if we try to rush things. Ask me how I know. <_<

Is that last picture your current scape? I like it, but it still looks like you don't have much space between the rocks and the glass. I made that mistake in my 40B and again learned the hard way.

Care to share what you learned the hard way? What happened? The only area that I am having hard time to get into is the area on the left side on the picture.

Care to share what you learned the hard way? What happened? The only area that I am having hard time to get into is the area on the left side on the picture.

I used to put rocks very close to the glass, and left just enough room to barely get a scraper in there. Each time I pulled rocks out for cleaning, I had be sure they got back in exactly the same spot because I didn't leave myself any wiggle room. I also forgot to take into account getting a siphon in those spots to clean the sand. The last thing you want is to make cleaning the tank a pain - that just inevitably leads to slacking off on maintenance.

And like burtbollinger said before, you are forced to not put any corals in those areas because there isn't any room for them to grow.

I used to put rocks very close to the glass, and left just enough room to barely get a scraper in there. Each time I pulled rocks out for cleaning, I had be sure they got back in exactly the same spot because I didn't leave myself any wiggle room. I also forgot to take into account getting a siphon in those spots to clean the sand. The last thing you want is to make cleaning the tank a pain - that just inevitably leads to slacking off on maintenance.

And like burtbollinger said before, you are forced to not put any corals in those areas because there isn't any room for them to grow.

Thanks for sharing. I am going to look for thinner scraper and smaller siphon. It is not a big tank so every space counts. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived