Ammonia 0.5 ppm

PH 8.2

nitirite 0 ppm

KH 6

Nitrate 0 ppm

Calcium 17 (340 ppm)

Phospate 0 ppm

day #4 test

PH = 7.8 (don't know why there is a big difference between Big Al's and mine. I used Idip and Big als used API test kit)

Ammonia = 0.64 ppm (I added 2 ppm = 1 drop per gallon Dr tims ammonia yesterday and it seems is only 0.64 ppm today. Normal?)

Phosphate = too low to read

Total Alkalinity = 3.5 dkh (not sure why is much lower than Fauna Marin's spec which is should be between 8.0-8.5 Any idea?)

Nitrate = 9 ppm

Day #9

Ammonia LO (too low to detect)

Nitrite 4.78ppm

Nitrate 78 ppm

Ph 7.8

Is this a normal progression? I can see that the Nitrite spiked up from day #6 to day #9, and the Nitrate almost double. I am using dr tims right now and the instruction is to add fish on day #9. However, I am planning to wait for at least 2 weeks before adding any livestock.

Another question: do I need to put more ammonia since there is no other ammonia sources right now?

I wouldn't add livestock until the cycle is over.

As far as adding more ammonia, if I'm reading your posts right, you haven't added any new ammonia in three days? You could add a little more if you want but I'd personally wait a day or two and see how long it takes for nitrites to reach 0. Then I'd add more ammonia and see how long it takes for the tank to take it through nitrite and into nitrate.

I wouldn't add livestock until the cycle is over.

As far as adding more ammonia, if I'm reading your posts right, you haven't added any new ammonia in three days? You could add a little more if you want but I'd personally wait a day or two and see how long it takes for nitrites to reach 0. Then I'd add more ammonia and see how long it takes for the tank to take it through nitrite and into nitrate.

you have nice 30L! I was going to go for 30L, but I chose 40 for more water :)

Going back to the topic. Yes! I have not added new ammonia since 3 days ago. I will follow your advise, and test the nitrite and ammonia again tonight.

So from what I understand, ammonia and nitrite is supposed to be 0 or close to 0, and my tank should be able to eliminate 2ppm ammonia within 24 hours. This is the sign that my tank is ready. Correct?

How about the Nitrate as they will continue to rise? or will it drop to 0 as well?

you have nice 30L! I was going to go for 30L, but I chose 40 for more water :)

Going back to the topic. Yes! I have not added new ammonia since 3 days ago. I will follow your advise, and test the nitrite and ammonia again tonight.

So from what I understand, ammonia and nitrite is supposed to be 0 or close to 0, and my tank should be able to eliminate 2ppm ammonia within 24 hours. This is the sign that my tank is ready. Correct?

How about the Nitrate as they will continue to rise? or will it drop to 0 as well?

Thank you :) I'm actually changing it over to the Fusion 40 because the house we just bought won't accommodate a three foot long tank based on how "we" plan to decorate it lol.

And yes, if you've been cycling it at 2ppm ammonia then the tank should be able to bring that to zero, as well as nitrites zero, and end with x amount of nitrates within a 24hr period. At that point the tank should be 'cycled' and able to process small livestock additions.

And no, your nitrates will not be zero, they should increase as you add the ammonia. The way you bring down the nitrates is a water change (which I would do before adding livestock once it's cycled).

Thank you :) I'm actually changing it over to the Fusion 40 because the house we just bought won't accommodate a three foot long tank based on how "we" plan to decorate it lol.

And yes, if you've been cycling it at 2ppm ammonia then the tank should be able to bring that to zero, as well as nitrites zero, and end with x amount of nitrates within a 24hr period. At that point the tank should be 'cycled' and able to process small livestock additions.

And no, your nitrates will not be zero, they should increase as you add the ammonia. The way you bring down the nitrates is a water change (which I would do before adding livestock once it's cycled).

That is exactly what I am going to do. Water change before adding live stocks.

Can I add CUC snails, hermit, and shrimp let's say two weeks from now?

Day#11

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 4.99 ppm

Nitrate 85 ppm

So it looks like my tank is able to consume 2 ppm ammonia in less than 24 hours? Does it mean after my Nitrite is 0 my tank if fully cycled?

Day #15
The 2 ppm of ammonia that I dosed yesterday has been consumed close to 0 by my tank
Nitrite 1.97 ppm
Nitrate 52 ppm

Tonight I dosed 4 ppm, and will measure it tomorrow night

Day #16

It looks like my tank is able to consume 4 ppm ammonia in less than 24 hours

Ammonia LO (less than 0.09ppm)

Nitrite 3.23 ppm

Nitrate 70 ppm

added 1 ppm ammonia

Day #17

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 1.62 ppm

Nitrate 54 ppm

Day #18

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 0.56 ppm

Nitrate 27 ppm

Ph 80

Why it takes so long for my Nitrite to become to 0? On day 16 the Nitrite was 3.23 ppm and I added 1 ppm of ammonia on the same day. No more ammonia added since day 16.

Also, it looks like my Ammonia also going down? Is it possible that it is being consumed by algae in my tank? I notice that I have dots on my rock.

Day #19

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.07 ppm

Nitrate 19 ppm

Added 2 ppm of ammonia in the morning. Will measure it at night time and then do 15 gallons of water change

Day 19# night time

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.77 ppm

Nitrate 35 ppm

Water changed 15 gallons

Day #20

Ammonia 0 (no ammonia was dosed since day #19 morning

Nitrite 0

Nitate 8 ppm

Alk 5.83 dKh or 2.08 meq/L

Calcium 436 ppm

THH 5274 ppm as CaCO3

Magnesium 4184 ppm as CACO3 or 1015.88 Mg +2 (don't know which number that you guys use here)

PH 8.2

Phosphate 0

Added 2 ppm of Ammonia on Day #26

No new Ammonia added on day #27

Day #28

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.35 ppm

Nitrate 17 ppm

Ph 8

Alk 5.5 dKh

Calcium 356 ppm

THH 5193 as CaCO3

Magnesium 4303 as CaCO3 / 1044.77 ppm (Mg +2) / 4113.67 ppm (MgCl)

Residual Alk -770 ppm

Is it safe to say that my tank is cycled now?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived