SaltCritters.com

Nuvo 30L Build - (Is my tank magic? Because its making money disappear..)

Michael_Price

Michael_Price

You better update! Keep in mind that five gallons won't really allow for any more fish.

Yeah by more fish, I mainly mean one, ha ha. I want another clown, but honestly... I have not decided yet if i really want to get one as i know it will make one grow a bit larger. So might just get one more small fish. I'll figure it out, no rush! But more water still makes for more stability! And now my water changes are ridiculously easy... you'll see why in the pictures later. 3 Minute Weekly water changes! Now testing water parameters and dosing is the hardest part of my tanks maintenance. And I'm fine with that!

Michael_Price

Updates!

I have gone from this..

IMG_2901.jpg

To this! (Link to build thread below) Ill get some updated FTS after a day or two when my fish and coral are back to normal, they are not happy after the move lol.

IMG_2953.jpg

No more ATO Revisor on the living room floor, and now I have a 5 Gallon Bucket Sump! Which makes for the easiest water changes in the world, swap buckets, and done. I can get y'all more details and pictures/build on my Bucket sump later. Its bedtime for me! But in short, its basically an airtight canister filter. I'll have to go into detail on what I've done to make it water tight and fail proof incase of power outages, etc so it won't over flow (Coming soon, like next week when I'm off work!)IMG_2952.jpg

Think I am going to pick up an auto dose system this week. I think I would see better results over time if my system runs itself more consistently. And I just don't have a lot of time to keep up with dosing sometimes! What do y'all think?

And if you want to see the build on my awesome DIY Stand, check it out on my DIY Thread Here

• Like 1
Michael_Price

Neat idea! Love the stand. Do the other clown. I love watching my pair.

Found out my LFS Sold me a Rather Costly Clown for $20 by mistake when I got my tank, so to buy a matching pair now would be $60 - $80 for another identical clown depending on the store! So after finding that out, I decided to get a 6 Line Wrasse which has been fun so far! I'll try to get some tank update pictures soon. Here over the past few weeks I've been working on the new stand and getting it all moved over.

Very nice. Great craftsmanship.

Thanks! Took longer then expected, but I'm happy with the results :D

Here are some updates on the stand setup, I do have new fish and a few new corals! But no pictures yet. Most my tank is in hiding after the tank transfer recently. And my toadstool has not opened back up after the move :unsure: hopefully he pulls through.

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

During the Stand Swap, had my whole tanks Livestock and Corals in that Tub on the floor!

IMG_2941.jpg

For more pictures of my DIY Tank Stand Build check it out here -

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/379879-made-my-own-modern-sleek-high-style-stand-for-my-30l-for-around-120/#entry5460901

And for my DIY Bucket Sump go here -

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/380011-5-gallon-bucket-sump-diy-yes-a-bucket-sump/?p=5460898

• Like 2
Michael_Price

Nice job on the stand. Very organized. Tank looks good. I hope all the livestock feels right at home soon

Thanks! I went to pick up an Anemone yesterday from a local reefer, he hooked me up with 2 rainbow Anemones for $40 and even tossed in some neon green Birds Nest for me!!! Best $40 I've spent on the tank yet! I'll get some pictures sometime soon. And good news, All my fish are back out and happy, and my leather corals started opening back up yesterday! Just took a few days for it all to settle back in.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice looking setup, I found this from your Magnesium thread.

I would get the salifert Mg test and test once a month to make sure Mg is staying around 1300 to 1400.  I'm horrible about not testing and throwing in Mg crustals into the sump from time to time.  Keeps mine around 1300. 

Michael_Price
11 hours ago, markalot said:

Nice looking setup, I found this from your Magnesium thread.

I would get the salifert Mg test and test once a month to make sure Mg is staying around 1300 to 1400.  I'm horrible about not testing and throwing in Mg crustals into the sump from time to time.  Keeps mine around 1300. 

Thanks! And yeah, I'm still playing the with my Auto Doser. I only have it set to add a few ML once every other week. Id rather take it slow and ramp up the volume slowly to keep it stable, vs over dose :mellow:. That could be an expensive problem :bling:. Slow and steady wins the reef tanks

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Michael_Price said:

Thanks! And yeah, I'm still playing the with my Auto Doser. I only have it set to add a few ML once every other week. Id rather take it slow and ramp up the volume slowly to keep it stable, vs over dose :mellow:. That could be an expensive problem :bling:. Slow and steady wins the reef tanks

I really wouldn't bother adding a doser for Mg.  Mg uptake is so slow it's not really worth it.

• 3 months later...
Michael_Price

Wow! Sorry I have been so inactive for so long everyone. Work has been busy! My tank is doing great, I have a great group of fish now (That don't die on me :lol:) Its crazy for me to see how much some of my stuff has grown. I'll have to get some pictures soon. Some stuff has blown up in size, and sadly some coral didn't make it. I have also rearranged some things as some of my corals started stinging each other :wacko:

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...