Coral Vue Hydros

Clean White Stage - 70G Mixed Reef

R_MC

Really looking nice! Do you run the LEDs majority of the time and limited T5 schedule?

Thanks Dave - I run the T5's for about 6 hours, 4 of those hours being at 100%. The LEDs run for 10 hours, with 4 of those hours at ~80%. The T5's are about 50W and the LEDs are ~260W. I'd say the effective light is almost completely LED with minor T5 supplementation.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave - I run the T5's for about 6 hours, 4 of those hours being at 100%. The LEDs run for 10 hours, with 4 of those hours at ~80%. The T5's are about 50W and the LEDs are ~260W. I'd say the effective light is almost completely LED with minor T5 supplementation.

Agreed, 260w of LED power is a ton! :D

Any who keep it up!

Bummer alert - My return pump (eheim 1250) just failed. Completely my fault. I was acclimating some new anthias and the return chamber ran low. Seems that the pump overheated and the magnets seized. That's too bad because this pump has been with me for 5 years and had been used for 4+ years by the previous owner. 9+ years isn't bad, and I congratulate Eheim on making such awesome and durable pumps.

Right now I am running a very low power return from the sump to the main tank. I might only be getting 25-30gph. This is no good of course, and I have a Jebao DCP 5000 on the way. I'm excited to try out this DC pump and also to get some more water flowing through my tank (~700-1400gph is offered, which is significantly more than the 350 from the eheim. I'm expecting to run the pump on one of the lowest settings and may even get some power savings out of it.

Thanks!

the-all-new-jecod-jebao-dcp-5000-pump-up

Replaced a broken Eheim 1250 (needed a new impeller for ~$30) with a Jebao dcp-5000 ($85).

The eheim is a work-horse and was in service for ~9 years. I can't fault the eheim in any way, it is one of the best pumps on the market and has a price tag that matches its performance, silence, and durability.

That said - my first impressions of the Jebao are extremely positive. This is a ~40W pump that will throw 1400 gph. Compared to the Eheim at 350 gph. Turned down to ~500 gph (the jebao likely suffers more head loss at lower speeds) the DC pump operates at 9W. The bottom line is that these new DC pumps are incredibly power efficient.

At 1400 GPH the jebao is dead silent.

The pump has a soft start feature which is great for the tube seals / impeller / and avoiding that abrupt splash when the pump first kicks on. Since I put my tank into a feeding mode twice a day where the return pump is shut off, this is a very welcome feature.

The pump also has a seized impeller protection. If the impeller stops turning, the pump will shut off.

The only downside is the barbs which are rather insubstantial for a pump this strong and are not outfitted for the 3/4" tubing that many aquarium use. A quick trip to home depot to purchase: PVC to ABS welding cement, a 1.5" (smallest size fitting for the pump) to 3/4" threaded male, and a threaded female to 3/4" barb fitting solved the problem.

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong. If this pump only lasts me 3 years I will still be impressed.

Thanks Nola!

I couldn't help myself and added an rbta. It's small - maybe 2.5 inches - and hasn't moved from its spot yet (only 24h in).  Wouldn't be a true mixed reef without one ;).

Thanks Dave.

Rearranged again - moved some of the larger paly colonies to the bottom right, opened up some space on the bottom left.  Created two small cove areas on the bottom left and right.

tqlB4TT.jpg

• Like 7