Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Devoted Reefer 250

pelphrey

So far this has kept my kids out of the stand, I am very pleased with these locks!

My daughter is only 15 months so she doesn't yet care too much about getting under the stand, but I know its bound to happen, so the precaution gives me peace of mind.

Your build looks great, and your Youtube channel is growing nicely! Great job, Pelphrey! Following along :)

• Like 1

My daughter is only 15 months so she doesn't yet care too much about getting under the stand, but I know its bound to happen, so the precaution gives me peace of mind.

Your build looks great, and your Youtube channel is growing nicely! Great job, Pelphrey! Following along :)

We're in the same boat, I have a 18 month old and a 3 month old. When I get into the cabinet the 18 month old will try to move me out of the way so she can see in there and get into trouble! When I close the doors she will inspect for a few seconds then move on. I won't lie I did lock the magnet key inside the cabinet a few weeks ago, luckily I have some rare earth magnets I didn't use on another project and I was able to use one of those magnets to get into the cabinet. As soon as I closed the door I knew I had left that key on my ATO container! hahaha

Thank you for the kind words, it's fun documenting this process, sharing with others and more so learning from others. I've always had an interest in creating videos I just never had the content until I fell into reefing. It's been fun so far!

• Like 1

We're in the same boat, I have a 18 month old and a 3 month old. When I get into the cabinet the 18 month old will try to move me out of the way so she can see in there and get into trouble! When I close the doors she will inspect for a few seconds then move on. I won't lie I did lock the magnet key inside the cabinet a few weeks ago, luckily I have some rare earth magnets I didn't use on another project and I was able to use one of those magnets to get into the cabinet. As soon as I closed the door I knew I had left that key on my ATO container! hahaha

Thank you for the kind words, it's fun documenting this process, sharing with others and more so learning from others. I've always had an interest in creating videos I just never had the content until I fell into reefing. It's been fun so far!

Hahaha, yeah, I know I am bound to do the same, but I too have a stash of magnets that I can use in a pinch. Safe than sorry!

• Like 1

how did you remove float switch for the stock red sea float? I can unscrew the top nut a bit then it doenst unscrew any more.

I don't exactly remember, I'd have to look at it when I get home this evening. Mine wasn't difficult to remove.

• Like 1
In an effort to take charge or my equipment I picked up this cabinet from Amazon. I initially had plans to keep all of my equipment inside the stand, since I added the Apex things got out of control quickly.

My overall objective is to keep the inside of the tank stand "wet" and move all of the hardware into this cabinet. Doing this I hope will make cable management a lot easier and when it comes time to remove equipment as needed for cleaning it won't be much of a hassle.

I have a little work to do on this cabinet to make it work for me, I hope to have all equipment moved into this cabinet in the next few weeks!

F66CEE23-EE7E-475F-9728-66207579ED2B_zps

A183540C-0202-41B7-BAE0-FAD6501FA8AB_zps

Got to work on the "Equipment Cabinet" a little over the weekend. I thought this cabinet came with a wooded back, but it was cardboard. So I cut the bottom off to run cables in!

8210A1D3-812B-43D7-9054-60A70577A40D_zps

Added brackets to the stand, this will hold the ply wood going onto the back to screw in equipment as needed -

1018E544-081C-40C8-8360-4B87A3C17E47_zps

Plywood added to the back of the cabinet -

116614E2-5D6D-48E2-86B3-07DA806A6D08_zps

Next up will be reserving some time to get all of my equipment moved over. I figure it will take me about 2 hours to be on the safe side.

• Like 1
Had to paint the side of the plywood white, went ahead and painted the entire back! Going to try to move all of my equipment into here this weekend or next week!

8BBAEA7C-EE61-4FD6-943D-B6B8A54E5DFE_zps

7636B3D9-B242-40BA-B98F-36D8BE49FC10_zps332B1F2E-9CD9-4871-9AF8-C24CEA93E696_zps

• Like 1

Is the stand the same height as the Reefer cabinet?

It is a little shorter. I had a hard time finding one the same height, it was either go a little shorter or taller. Depth wise it is also shorter and works out perfect for me and the space I am putting it in!

Second energy bar mounted inside the cabinet-

67073801-53A3-4894-AF20-151FD785EFFB_zps

Need to clean this mess up!

EF405C9A-3426-427D-B87C-3DF35E634E04_zps

Equipment cabinet in place!

15A89A17-5343-4DB0-9622-E20F169E2E53_zps

I'll get before and after shots under the tank stand soon! I will be going back and cleaning up the cables inside the equipment cabinet soon. I had to take my system completely down to do this move and I wanted to get everything back up and running quickly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wanted to try out the Gyre for awhile, so I picked up the 230. I actually thought about the WAV pumps, there are a couple reasons I didn't go this route. First reason is that my tank is 3' and the WAV pumps are just to much. Second reason.... I do really like the Apex but I don't like relying on it 100%, if my Apex brain went out the WAV pumps would stop working as well. 

I am currently running a MP40wQD on the tank and love this pump, if my rock work was different I probably would have ran another Vortech pump placing them both on the back wall. With my rock work being so tall I didn't think this was my best solution. 

The downside to the Gyre 230 is the noise, I did open a ticket with CoralVue and they said the pump needed to break in and bacteria needed to grow on it. I have the Gyre set to random pluse from 10-40%, after running the pump for a little over a week now the noise has reduced some but it is still the loudest piece of equipment on the tank. 

The controller for the Gyre is pretty simple to use once you know what it does. I am running the Gyre and Mp40 on the tank still, the pumps are on opposite walls. Soon the Mp40 will be pulled and sold, I'll pick up another 230 pump to put in place of the MP40. The fact that the Gyre controller can run two pumps is an awesome feature!

BB6DB5A8-DA50-4FD3-BDF5-A62DF572AF13_zps

D6F8D695-EBC7-47B3-8F8B-69921093A596_zps

11787947-952A-4711-AB52-F74DD46F0CBE_zps

9D18E8EE-38E0-40AD-8FBE-2C49A7DC2A8B_zps
On 2/21/2017 at 8:48 AM, pelphrey said:
The downside to the Gyre 230 is the noise, I did open a ticket with CoralVue and they said the pump needed to break in and bacteria needed to grow on it. I have the Gyre set to random pluse from 10-40%, after running the pump for a little over a week now the noise has reduced some but it is still the loudest piece of equipment on the tank. 

How's the noise on the Gyre? I also had the same issue with my XF250 (annoying creaking, cricket-like sound) and was prepared to send it back, but 4 weeks later and it's finally quiet!

26 minutes ago, lake985 said:

How's the noise on the Gyre? I also had the same issue with my XF250 (annoying creaking, cricket-like sound) and was prepared to send it back, but 4 weeks later and it's finally quiet!

It has been running for a few weeks now, I don't know if I am used to it but I think the noise has reduced. I have high hopes it will be silent soon!

Picked up some supplies I'll need when I redo my manifold - 
IMG_0037_zpsn6pdfqmp.jpg

AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor - XS

AquaMaxx XS Reactor (iPhone 6 for size comparison)- 
IMG_0036_zps3ez5kwss.jpg

I actually got two reactors, not sure if I'll run the both of them or not - 
IMG_0038_zpsipbqute7.jpg

Attemping to design my manifold. Doubt I use the 90 on the end, but I will need an output to run my RAIN2 algae turf scrubber. Using a Wye fitting to split the flow- 
IMG_0067_zpsltvxniri.jpg

Got tired of pulling the tray out to replace filter socks, finally got around to fixing that problem! Drained 5 gallons of water out of the sump, used a dremel to make the cuts. Might not be pretty, but it works! Took about 20 minutes and the mess wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Originally planned to pull the sump out to do this, glad I didn't!

C780AFA0-5FD9-4AA3-820E-F19FBE63CAFD_zps 

8D30DBBA-B0FD-4A5A-A433-7FBCAF6A278E_zps 

541C1BB2-4528-403D-B72E-A2C5F179D65A_zps

Guy who built my ATO container came up with a great idea!! Got tired of the Tunze pump never standing straight, problem solved!

5F6DE0D6-B9FD-435E-95A6-C5FFF0654E93_zps 
ED37C76F-AAF4-4DBD-B849-24DC565084AD_zps 
1F88EAD8-32F5-4932-AFC8-5E89D40BD693_zps
  • Like 1
On 2/27/2017 at 10:33 AM, pelphrey said:

It has been running for a few weeks now, I don't know if I am used to it but I think the noise has reduced. I have high hopes it will be silent soon!

Is it noisier than the vortech?  I'm surprised this could be the case; I thought the pump being fully submerged would surely be quieter than the vortech's external pump. I had a vortech several years back, and that thing was loud.