Coral Vue Hydros

Cyano is kicking my butt- NO LONGER!- Now it is Hair Algae!

uwharrie

Actually I do feed pellets alternating with Mysis and fresh shrimp bits.. ( they get about 3-4 each) had not thought about flake. I hated flake when I had a fresh tank as it was easy to over feed it.

You should feed a variety of foods, alternating from pellets to frozen, even a little flake

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was a great documentation for return on investment regarding manual guiding. If im not mistaken its only one major takedown to get a hold of it like this. some rebound and rework is to be expected but this is a great reduction for a little hand guiding but mainly one big power reset.

This is where correct grazers would stand out, they have less to work on. vibrant is showing strong outcomes positive for your type of invader too, its a legit approach to try.

its great when tanks are set up with the initial pre rinse of all the materials, no dusting allowed. then occasional maintenance runs...nothing will take over again after a new tune is found. it lessens over time as balances are found, I haven't scraped for algae in years on the rocks.

Did my first dose of vibrant this week. Still doing weekly water changes and floss change out. Thinking about trying to set the skimmer up again.

• 2 weeks later...

I got rid of my algae problems (bryopsis, BHA & GHA) by starting a copepod growout system. I have three 5 gallon buckets in the basement, these many allow me harvest every other day. 6 oz of copepod water is roughly 500 pods. So I started dosing the tank with 6oz of copepods every 3 days when lights are out.

Along with the copepods I have also stopped feeding and began a weekly dosing of Dr. Tim's Waste Away & Re-Fresh.

I have noticed my fish are happier, the algae is 90% gone.

Do you have any hermit crabs? Maybe 5 of these dudes will keep things tidy?

• 3 weeks later...

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/uwharrie/IMG_0146.jpg

Well I think I am seeing progress. Have to find photos of the tank at it's worse with the GHA and green cyano. I added a GFO reactor this weekend. Last week added a Sea Hare ( yes she will go back to the LFS when her job is done) and an urchin. I also cut my lights on time by 5 hrs) Also have a CUC of hermits and various snails

• 2 months later...

So I tried the antibiotic treatment and it did not work on the GHA. So today I broke everything down, took out the sandbed. rinsed the heck out of it and put maybe 1/4 back ( less than 1/2 inch now), did at 50/50 peroxide dip on the frags and syringed the rocks with the same.  Did a 95% water change as well.

OUCH!  That's pretty drastic.  I can relate, however.

I have been dealing with some Algae too.  Gained some control with

Lawnmower Blenny, some emerald crabs, trying to control my nitrates better.

LFS suggested that I kept my lights on to long and gave me new settings and times on/off

Went to two LFS ( well not so local) Purchased a couple of Emerald crabs, some snails. A pencil urchin and a brittle star. Hopefully they along with the reset will help me!

Oh and the tank is looking MUCH better today. Time will tell for sure

• 2 weeks later...

So after do the full reset. Brandon's dip protocol I think I have it under control

Question am I now running overkill

Purgen in the media basket chamber one ( with floss changed at least weekly)

Hydor skimmer ( finally have it dialed in)

GFO in chamber 3

3 gal water changes every other week

feed every other day

IMG_0583.JPG

Archived