Top Shelf Aquatics

Zoo school is now in session.

jedimaster

matt the fiddler

and that took only 2 mins to do ! :) seriously. though photoshop can be done clean.. and look real. though extreme. some times the lighting does it.. sometimes the corals are just freaking unbelivable- and need to jsut be drop shipped to me for examination....:)

AReeferIsExpensive

Vet- that is exactly what they look like

Unlike most ppl, the reason why i photoshopped them is to make them look like they do in my tank. The pic my 5 year old digital camera makes is BAD

matt the fiddler

nope... it is a browser.....

i agree with ethical photoshoping as stated earlier. if by using photoshop you get a more accurate picture of what the coral looks like. then that is ethical..

if you use it to make your coral look more pimped than jsut the camera does [a good macro makes any lousy coral look awesome]

then that is pushing the barrier.

i know a lot of online retaliers that adjust the color balance because they have blue lights. i am fine with that as well...

Regarding toxic zoos:

I just bought some zoos and decided to reread the Zoanthid chapter in Borneman's book, as well as read some threads (that's how I found this one).

To summarize, the toxic species are Palythoa and Protopalythoa. Zoanthus are not specified as toxic. Morphologically, Palythoa sp. tend to be barrel shaped with short tentacles, and Protopalythoa grow on longer stalks, sometimes singly, with wide flattened oral disks. Both of these species also tend to be have oral disks larger than 0.5 in. Polyps of the Zoanthus genus are smaller and distinguished by a divided sphincter surrounding the oral opening, i.e., they look like they have slitlike mouths.

At first I freaked a bit when I read about the poor dog that died, but further study revealed my specimens to be Zoanthus. However, I will probably stop playing in my tank w/o gloves.

Archived