Pod Your Reef

Zoo school is now in session.

jedimaster

Could anyon shed some light on zoos for me, as far as care and compatibility with Acro's and montiporas. Some info on lighting, flow, temp, feeding.... etc Thanks a million, I may go get some tomorow, just want to prep a little before hand.

My idea is an acropora on one side(top), a monitporaon te other side(top), zoo's along the rockscape, with some shrooms or a redish open brain on the bottom. hopefully the brain. :)

Zoos do not sting although they do grow fast and may crowd out other corals. They are the easiest coral you can keep. Nothing special. Medium flow. No necessary feeding. Important thing is that you post some pics of your zoos!

matt the fiddler

"Zoos do not sting although they do grow fast and may crowd out other corals"

ummmm Foogoo... zoos have a powerfull sting, nothign liek some LPS or aipistia- but zoos will sting the heck out of any sps they touch. keep them from touching any sps and you will be fine..

they are ok in mixed tanks as long as they don't touch.

i would keep zoos together.. they will grow faster if in competition with other zoos. also plan ahead for growth. use spacer rock rubble pieces to keep the zoos on that rather tan getting on your rock [and hard to manage once they take up realestate on your chuncks on liverock]

and i would keep all your sps together..

Originally posted by matt the fiddler

and i would keep all your sps together.. [/b]

How far apart should I put an acro and monti frag away from each other?

matt the fiddler

please not not all zoos carry this toxin. some do.

montis are really peacefull, acros are pretty peacfull near touching with out so should work[ know many many sps vets that do that- depending on the species]. leave a bit of growing room though. there is a chance the monti might recess if they grow into each other..

Originally posted by matt the fiddler

please not not all zoos carry this toxin.   some do.

Sorry. I wouldn't take the risk, and i'd hate to read about someone becoming ill as a result of not knowing the information.

Does anyone know what particular zoo's are toxic? It seems only certain ones are but I can't find a list. Or is it just some zoos carry them and som of the same species do not carry the toxin?

matt the fiddler

it is just the palyothia group[ i got 3 species of them in my tank..]. this group includes the purple people eaters, etc. they contain the palyotoxin, which is a neuro toxin- which won't effect you unless it gets in your blood stream.. IE cuts on hand- handling face after fragging, etc. it pretty much shuts down all neual responce and stops your heart. you can be kept alive on artificial life systems for the 24 hours it takes for the poison to wear off..

basically if you have numbness in your hands when playing with your coral.. .... you are playing with death.. but definatly not all zoos. only probably 10-15% of what people auctually call zoos today have that poison- why it is importnat to get ids and identify...

"Sorry. I wouldn't take the risk, and i'd hate to read about someone becoming ill as a result of not knowing the information."

why it is safe to have them UNLESS YOU FRAG WITH OUT GLOVES!!!

the toxin stays in their system.. and is not leached excpet on cutting. there is small amounts in the mucucs that leaks to the tank, but only some one who drinks gallons of tank water would worry me at that concentration level....

zoos can really bug SPS and they can be a bugger to get off rock once they are established. try to keep the zoos on a seperate rock so they can be moved..

-skeletor-

AReeferIsExpensive

i used to always rip apart two rocks b/c there was only a strand of tissue connecting two zoos that was holding the rocks together, which i used to think was harmless.

Multiple times, i had felt little tingley feelings in my hand and small things like that but considered it kinda cool, cause it was never anything big. But one time when i pulled apart two rocks n ripped the tissue inbetween two zoos, i had a small hang nail on my pinky and within a couple seconds i had really bad "pins and needles" and it traveled up my arm and onto one side of my chest. Within under a minute it was all completely numb and i couldnt really flex my arm....my muscle stayed loose. I felt REALLY dizzy and light headed and started sweating like crazy but when i looked in the mirror my face was much paler than normal. At the peak of the experience i was almost positive i was going to pass out but i never did....i thought about calling 911 or something and then realized how crazy it would have sounded so i waited it out and everything ended up fine. After this scare i took the "zoo warning" a LOT more serious. Now i share my story to warn other ppl~ It was scary!!

matt the fiddler

what species did you have areefer?

i do hear a lot of stories liek that sadly... zoos are kinda like octopus. not all are the blue ring. wearign gloves and not dringkign tank water are the 2 precautions that make sure you will be fine...

oh , and don't let your dog our kid get inro an aclamation bin.... on the floor

AReefer.. I have a rock of zoos and one was hanging off on a little cip of a rock .. so I pulled it off to plave it somehwere else .. and felt it snapped that little chord connecting that you are reffering to. Since doin this .. one section where it was attached does not seem to be doing to well.. ie. they have not opened up much the last couple days.. is this normal ?? Or did I do some real damge ?

AReeferIsExpensive

matt- the ones that gave me the bad experience were the "turqoise solomans"....the ones that look 7x better when they are small =/

yea i read about that guy whos dog died from the zoos...sad :(

king, i dont know for sure b/c im not aware of your tanks condition in detail, but i can tell u that zoos are very hearty and that if you rip the actual polyp in half, they can recover and you will end up w/ two. They are most likely fine~ g.l

Archived