SaltCritters.com

Snow's Bridge of Flowers

Snow_Phoenix

I am sorry about Luna but glad to hear the other 3 pipes are doing well. It may be that Luna was weakened tremendously while at the pet store being forgotten.

Good luck venturing into more sps.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry about Luna but glad to hear the other 3 pipes are doing well. It may be that Luna was weakened tremendously while at the pet store being forgotten.

Good luck venturing into more sps.

Thank you, Dawn. And yes, I think the prolonged starvation at the store did have an effect on her. Poor girl.

And thanks - if you have any suggestions on which easy-to-keep SPS there are out there, please lmk. :happy:

Thank you, Dawn. And yes, I think the prolonged starvation at the store did have an effect on her. Poor girl.

And thanks - if you have any suggestions on which easy-to-keep SPS there are out there, please lmk. :happy:

I am afraid that I am a dismal failure when it comes to sps. I killed a birdsnest and a green slimer, both of which is suppose to be on the easy side. I do have a monticap that is as brown as can be, (its suppose to be green, ha ha!), and a very nice orange and brown encrusting sps. I wished I knew what that one is called since it is my only success.

I am afraid that I am a dismal failure when it comes to sps. I killed a birdsnest and a green slimer, both of which is suppose to be on the easy side. I do have a monticap that is as brown as can be, (its suppose to be green, ha ha!), and a very nice orange and brown encrusting sps. I wished I knew what that one is called since it is my only success.

Don't be sad - I had a Pocci, a green acro and a green monti quite a long time ago. None of them lasted more than 3 months. (Didn't help that I had a goby and blenny who would constantly nibble on the polyps). I decided to try my luck again because these frags were going at a huge discount, and seemed simple enough to keep. I will monitor them over the next month though, and hopefully they'll grow as quickly as my chalice.

I had wondered if the cool temps of the seahorse tank had an affect on them? I am just not the right kind of reef keeper for sps, because I hate monitoring parameters, ha ha! I would rather control things with a water change but doesn't work very well for growing sps that need alk. and CA to be in balance.

I had wondered if the cool temps of the seahorse tank had an affect on them? I am just not the right kind of reef keeper for sps, because I hate monitoring parameters, ha ha! I would rather control things with a water change but doesn't work very well for growing sps that need alk. and CA to be in balance.

I'm not sure, but the tanks in LFS has cooler water than my own tank. The difference has to be around 2'C to 3'C at the very most. And yes, alk and Ca is a pain to monitor lol. I too prefer using WC as a method of keeping everything in line rather than relying on measured parameters alone lol. I call it lazy reefing. :lol:

I'm not sure, but the tanks in LFS has cooler water than my own tank. The difference has to be around 2'C to 3'C at the very most. And yes, alk and Ca is a pain to monitor lol. I too prefer using WC as a method of keeping everything in line rather than relying on measured parameters alone lol. I call it lazy reefing. :lol:

Yep, thats me all the way, the lazy reefer! LOL

i had some in my 8 g tank but I don't know all that they were. Montipora, birdsnest, something yellow/green (I know, very scientific- eh, I'm not the writer!), acropora or something. Then I think I gave them to friend, I can't remember, or some died.

i had some in my 8 g tank but I don't know all that they were. Montipora, birdsnest, something yellow/green (I know, very scientific- eh, I'm not the writer!), acropora or something. Then I think I gave them to friend, I can't remember, or some died.

Oh, I remember you had that large green monticap once in one of your tanks. It was growing fast and really beautiful. Do you still keep that one, or have you given it away as well?

Oh, I remember you had that large green monticap once in one of your tanks. It was growing fast and really beautiful. Do you still keep that one, or have you given it away as well?

I didn't have a green one, maybe Gena? I just had the red monticap which I moved to the 10 an then had the purple chalice w/ green highlighter eyes opposing it.

I didn't have a green one, maybe Gena? I just had the red monticap which I moved to the 10 an then had the purple chalice w/ green highlighter eyes opposing it.

Ah! I was mistaken then. I just took a peek at the tank - the monti with the green dots has a small patch of white around one of its edges - not a good sign. Will most likely do a WC today evening.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I know it's been a month but I have some good and bad news.

I'll start off with the good news first - I made it to my 28th birthday and managed to celebrate it with a nice little lemon custard cake:

d8ec48bf87a24299bd2c4a47e369bab3.png

I also managed to watch Star Wars: Rogue One on the grand-opening night as a pre-birthday treat from my dad. It was good, and made me feel happy for the first time in the past few weeks.

Now on to the bad news: My health took a turn for the worse. My left arm is very, very weak, and I have developed swellings/abscesses/infected growths under both arms. I will need to go for surgery very soon to remove the lumps - I've tried holding it off but the pain is murder and the wounds aren't healing. Since I can't use both arms properly, I've been unable to take care of any of my animals very well and forced to neglect my tanks. My parents are helping out with the birds and dog, but the fish are suffering the most.

My FW tank is mature and stable enough that a 1 month absence of WC didn't dent the system - it's now a blackwater biotope, so the system is balanced pretty well and there have been no losses. I can't say the same for the marine tank - I have lost 90% of my livestock - fish, corals and inverts included. The SPS fell prey to flesh-eating nudis, and the pipes perished one by one. Andromeda was the last survivor - and I was waiting to return her to the store in hopes of getting her rehomed, but she died just hours before the trip. The blenny is a killer.

He killed all my inverts by ripping off their legs and antennae. He even killed my pistol shrimp and ate him. So right now there are only two survivors - the blenny and one porcelain anemone crab. And a few coral pieces - my red mushroom, softie finger, green Indo-Pacific nem, Green Palys made it. The rest are dead or so severely bleached/retracted I doubt they'll make it back.

This is my fault - granted, I didn't predict my health would dwindle to worse than what it was before all of a sudden, but I took on too much too fast (as usual). Will I try pipes in the future? Maybe, but not now. Not until I'm illness-free for the next two years or so (hopefully).

Also, I'm heading back to the marine fish store today - first time in four weeks. I had to break open my artificial rock to rescue my blenny when he was trapped inside, so now the tank is functionless. I figured I will pick up some proper LR, leave the tank to cycle for however long it takes (months or weeks) while I recover from surgery, and slowly move whoever has survived one by one back in. Right now all the survivors are in QT. I'll also be picking up a new fan because my latest one fizzled out again, and I will be deporting my blenny to the store - did I mention he also killed my goby? That fanged sicko.

Sorry if I've disappointed anyone with the downward progress of this tank - it disheartens me, but sometimes life has a nasty habit of throwing curveballs when you least expect it.

I am sending you good vibes ~~~~~~

Thank you so much.

For everyone and anyone, your own health would be first of course.

Sure does sound painful. Do they know what causes the lumps?

It definitely is. And the resultant scarring is pretty bad - my body looks mutilated.

There is a medical condition for it - it's known as Hidradenitis supprativa. It causes deep-rooted abscesses and inflammation to break out over certain areas of the skin - in my case, the underarms, where the sweat glands are most active. The last time I went for surgery for my left arm several years ago, the surgeon removed four cysts in one site. It appears there are more cysts (that have now become infected and enlarged) near the old operation wound, as well as in my previously non-problematic right arm. Surgical intervention is usually a last resort, but the lumps are too large and advanced. I've been using antibiotics and painkillers on and off for a month to no avail.

Also dangerous because I'm still diabetic, so the wounds are healing slower than usual. Granted, my sugar level is well under control now and I can slowly reduce my meds, but these lumps are causing an added complication. I have an uncle who has the similar condition - I suspect there might be a genetic factor, although articles online state it's mostly related to an autoimmune disorder.

O my, I am so sorry to hear of the trial that you are undergoing. You have had more than your share of health challenges to be only 28 years old. I will pray that you get relief soon.

O my, I am so sorry to hear of the trial that you are undergoing. You have had more than your share of health challenges to be only 28 years old. I will pray that you get relief soon.

Sorry to hear it's so painful and destructive. I said a prayer too, it always might help.

Thank you both. I admit I am worried - it is very unusual that the lumps are taking this long to clear. I'm already beefing up on vitamin C supplements to boost my immune system. But my greatest fear is that there is a bigger underlying issue at work (like Hodgkin's lymphoma or the equivalent) so I'm waiting for my mother to come back from her vacation so that she can assist me to the hospital and get it checked out as soon as possible. Cancer is one more added complication that I do not wish to have, thank you.

But there is a bit of light in the darkness - I have been seizure-free since August. Give it another few more months and I can cutback on the anti-epileptics. Since my neurologist passed away from breast cancer early this year, I haven't had the chance to check out the development of my brain lesion. I might need to head out of state to seek another doctor and get another MRI done too. So much $$ needed - I'm cringing.

Quick update on yesterday's excursion to the store:

I managed to get some new coralline-encrusted LR (two nice, porous pieces) full of life (mostly worms and sponges):

e029f1ba8b2f4a57a37c226c65a37973.png

I will slowly try to clean out the tank and replace the sandbed over the next few days to black jewel sand. And then continue cycling the rocks. Most of the worms that were alive in the rocks yesterday are dead today, so I think the die-off is good enough to kick-start the cycle.

I also acquired some chaeto and put it in the QT tank.

But what I want to show you is this:

553ce0977c734987b56f8b5e1d41be29.png

They're both male mother sailfin dragonets. My only regret is not having a large, well-established tank to hold one because they're so rare and precious in aquaria. I should have taken a pic when one of the males flared its dorsal fin - it was gorgeous. Each dragonet was almost 6" in length and incredibly thick like a little sausage. :wub:

Hi. Just dropping by to say I underwent emergency surgery day before yesterday. They ended up operating on six different areas of the body (2 under left arm, 1 under right arm, 1 on chest, 1 on neck and 1 on left shoulder). Four of the six operation sites were stitched up, the remaining 2 were left as gaping open wounds which were excruciating to touch when the nurses tried to change the dressing. I regained use of my hands today, but my upper arms are bent awkwardly.

It will probably take more than 2 months to heal fully. Blood tests came back relatively well except for my cholesterol (guess no more prawns and calamari fritters for me), but renal function was good (phew).

I'm leaving the tank to cycle for the next few months - I will only ask my dad to top off the water lost from evaporation. My parents will be overseeing all my pets, thankfully.

Thanks for all your wishes and support - hope I'll recover quick enough and won't lose whoever's left in the QT (blenny has been deported to the store, btw) so there's only a few assorted coral frags and tiny critters left.

You know, my husband was Type I again after he lost his pancreas and for some reason he still healed quickly. Just bizarre. I guess better to incapacitate you at once then do it separate times. Probably comes out cheaper since you only have to have aneshesia once. Hopefully you can heal quickly even w/ the elevated sugar.

You know, my husband was Type I again after he lost his pancreas and for some reason he still healed quickly. Just bizarre. I guess better to incapacitate you at once then do it separate times. Probably comes out cheaper since you only have to have aneshesia once. Hopefully you can heal quickly even w/ the elevated sugar.

Weirdly the sugar level dipped back to acceptable levels (not that I'm out of the woods yet). And yes, I guess it's better to get it done all at once under GA than multiple times under LA. I still feel like I'm dying though. The wounds are sore, the intubation bruised my throat and I've just developed a fear. Tomorrow I need to head back to the surgeon's office to get the wounds checked out and re-dressed. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I'm more worried about my animals. My mother is taking care of me fully and averts from my pets, and my father is working full-time. The medical bill from the surgery didn't come cheap, although they did knock off some $$ since my father is a doctor (apparently doctor-to-doctor they have a sort of moral code - they don't charge the full surgical fee when your spouse/child is operated on - but this is subjective and depends on the individual doctor as to whether he/she wants to charge full fee or not).

I think the nano should be okay - I spotted a hitchiker nem on the rocks the morning I was leaving the house for the hospital. Tiny pink thing - not aiptasia, but looks almost like a smaller version of one of the big wavy nems I've seen in your tank. :)

Yeh, I have 2 wavy arms and then regular looking aptasia in another spot. I think one of my friends here got a laser so I'm gong to see if I can borrow it. Sounds tiring, hang in there!!!

Yeh, I have 2 wavy arms and then regular looking aptasia in another spot. I think one of my friends here got a laser so I'm gong to see if I can borrow it. Sounds tiring, hang in there!!!

Oh, good luck with the aiptasia - those lil' devils are nasty all around. Any idea on what those wavy nems are called, Flower? I'm trying to google them online but to no avail.

And don't worry, as long as post-op infection doesn't set in, I should be okay. I'll be leaving for the hospital in 3 hours time - I admit I'm nervous.

Archived