Cultivated Reef

Snow's Bridge of Flowers

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pappadumplingz

Chalices are quite fast growers. When I bought my most recent one, you could see the growth on the underside of the plate. It's a really nice piece you have.

If they like a spot, you'll know.

Yup, this one seems to like the spot at the top of the tank, right near the outflow pipe. I think it does like the high water flow and intense lighting. I don't think I'll move it. :lol:

Chalices are quite fast growers. When I bought my most recent one, you could see the growth on the underside of the plate. It's a really nice piece you have.

I haven't checked the underside yet - am a bit nervous on moving it (knowing how clumsy I am, I might jinx it and break it or worse) but if I do get a chance to somehow take a peek, I will. And thank you, I really like it very much too. My first chalice so far - I might consider getting others if I can. :happy:

Oh! And someone gave me this guy to stir my sand today. Giant tongan nassarius snail:

9c69b7486f3948cc8f9526a85e23dd3b.png

And I also finally got this cool fuge light for my Chaeto:

8850005c46f74520be997f7375c4df7c.png

5a44847fed29457f89fae88deb93af29.png

I also found an incredibly unique hitchhiker lurking in my GSP colony today (I have no idea how he survived whatever went on last week, but he did). What sort of crab is this? Is he good/bad? He's actually a soft shade of lavender with white spots, and his claws are white and blunt. He's stunning. :o

83ec668204cf4a6fa013f2083668caa5.png

Hmm, I was just guessing ;) Trying to help.

I am not 100% on this though, I have read some threads

on the forums about good vs. bad crabs.

I Think the bad crabs have black tipped claws, I can't remember :(

Hmm, I was just guessing ;) Trying to help.

I am not 100% on this though, I have read some threads

on the forums about good vs. bad crabs.

I Think the bad crabs have black tipped claws, I can't remember :(

Yep, the bad crabs are usually hairy with black tipped-claws which are sharp and pointed at the end. I'll observe this crab for now. He's actually one weird little guy - he likes burying himself under my sandbed when he thinks no one is looking. :huh:

When I googled anemone crab in Images it showed several that looked like yours. So maybe there are 2 different kinds.

Really? Well, what on earth is one doing hiding under the GSP mat? Also, it seems to like hiding 'under' things - corals, sand etc. from what I can see. Still a rather interesting fella though.

He's a cutie is what he is!! Kinda reminds me a little also of the anemone crab in color. though I know he's not one.

That he is. So adorable when he raises his claws in a, "Come at me, bro!" position lol. I think he's out because he's hungry - I spot-fed him some mysis yesterday and he really liked it.

I found a match for the crab! Thank you Astinus and Flower for giving me some hints on where to look - I searched through the anemone crabs and found only one stock photo that was the same. Took me to gaudy clown crabs (but was still the wrong species) so I dived further into the web and this is it:

Harlequin crab or Lissocarcinus orbicularis.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/harlequin-crab-on-tube-anemone-the-crab-high-res-stock-photography/73798545

Forms symbiotic relationship with the tube anemone - is in fact a type of anemone crab, and it looks like I have what appears to be a juvi based on the markings. :happy:

I found a match for the crab! Thank you Astinus and Flower for giving me some hints on where to look - I searched through the anemone crabs and found only one stock photo that was the same. Took me to gaudy clown crabs (but was still the wrong species) so I dived further into the web and this is it:

Harlequin crab or Lissocarcinus orbicularis.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/harlequin-crab-on-tube-anemone-the-crab-high-res-stock-photography/73798545

Forms symbiotic relationship with the tube anemone - is in fact a type of anemone crab, and it looks like I have what appears to be a juvi based on the markings. :happy:

What a lucky find and such good fortune that he survived the incident too. Looks like you will have to get him a tube anemone eventually?

What a lucky find and such good fortune that he survived the incident too. Looks like you will have to get him a tube anemone eventually?

I would love to, but my sandbed is very thin and I also have a Hi-Fin goby (which I re-added to the tank today) so I'm worried the fish will get stung by the nem. I read tube nems have very potent stingers. :wacko:

Glad to have tried to help ya Snow.

Yep, a Harlequin for sure.

Thanks a lot, Astinus. I truly appreciate it. :happy:

Also, I'm trying something with this tank. In the event I'm successful, I'll share my findings with everyone else. Until then, I'll keep you lovely folk in the dark for the time being. And yes, it involves something alive, although it's not traditional livestock. Eep. :ninja:

I would love to, but my sandbed is very thin and I also have a Hi-Fin goby (which I re-added to the tank today) so I'm worried the fish will get stung by the nem. I read tube nems have very potent stingers. :wacko:

Also, I'm trying something with this tank. In the event I'm successful, I'll share my findings with everyone else. Until then, I'll keep you lovely folk in the dark for the time being. And yes, it involves something alive, although it's not traditional livestock. Eep. :ninja:

Yes, you are wise to take the animals you already have into consideration. Anyway, it seems your new crab is happy to host the gsp so that works.

So a surprise...I love surprises!

I will be waiting. (impatiently of course) ;)B)

:D

Yes, you are wise to take the animals you already have into consideration. Anyway, it seems your new crab is happy to host the gsp so that works.

So a surprise...I love surprises!

Yep, I caught him sitting on the GSP again. It seems he likes to bury himself in the sand when the lights are on, but is back on the coral during late evening/night. I hope I can see him frequently so that I can make sure he gets some proper food.

I got a nice fluffy torch coral for a steal.

04ee7e667d3e4cd8b8097772ffc86a59.png

Guess who decided to move in permanently?

2dc40a2212304ed9b21b1df85b1f7dda.png

Looks like the GSP was just a temporary move.

And today would mark the third week in which I have kept my mystery livestock conditioned and QTed (mind you, it was difficult). My original plan was to set up a simple separate tank for them in my bedroom - that was until the whole fan hit the water incident - and my clownfish died. Since my current tank is virtually empty, I will be moving them in this evening. And post some pictures, before fleeing for the hills for a short while. As I've said - it's not traditional livestock, so it might step on some toes. (And no, it's not a tang or something too ridiculous).

-crosses fingers-

I hope you may accept them with an open mind.

I couldn't help but snap another photo of this guy after feeding time. He really, really likes the torch.

f7355bd6ec9c41c0b6d27a671a05aa3e.png

Okay, so here it is. I want to introduce you to my dragons. :happy:

There are three of them, but I haven't sexed them yet. Each ranges between 3.5" to 4.5". Took me a while but I managed to get all three on frozen baby brine and regular enriched brine, two on frozen crab roe so far. Otherwise, they do like pods, but only the ones from the water column/rocks. The smallest is a bit more smarter and actually swims all over the tank and pecks at the walls to clear it off from pods. The largest prefers frozen. Markings vary slightly - when the lights are off, they curl together on the sand and almost change color to a whitish-gray to blend in with the substrate. When the lights are on, their full bands come in, and it's beautiful.

I suspect their species to be Scribbled Dragonface Pipefish or Corythoichthys intestinalis.

39085b17103d4e31ad055f27077e3d88.png

88a342e77b8145bcaeb68910cfd16c53.png

c3694dcb618f4c52bb71d90bd63a2731.png

Their movement isn't as fluid as an eel. It's a bit more stiff, although they do undulate in mild snake-like fashion. They like curling around my rocks and coral, and aren't bothered by my flow. I shot a small video of them grazing on some frozen roe - I'll post it up later.

Currently this tank has a few inverts and only one goby. I haven't added my blenny in yet - I admit I am a bit concerned as to how he will perceive the new dragons, considering his size (and let's not forget, fangs). It's risky, so I might stick him in a breeder box and see how he reacts through the box in the DT next week.

I'm also picking up a tin of frozen Cyclops from the store tomorrow. And am thinking of hatching some BBS if need be. So far they seem alright, but it's still too early to tell.

So there you go.

Archived