SaltCritters.com

Snow's Bridge of Flowers

Snow_Phoenix

Bummer...sounds like something beat her up! I am still fooled occasionally by a molt :). They can look so complete!

Oh, I only wish this one was a molt! But I could feel the flesh when I gently squeezed the carapace down, and I didn't feel like sniffing it to double-check, but I'm quite sure she was dead.

Also, I had a nice layer of diatoms all over the rocks and sandbed - so I picked up a tiny turban snail as well.

Snail went into the DT, shrimp into the QT (will be added to the DT in a few days time).

60bfc94c31c44242bbea6979c0729195.png

And I saw my LFS selling this:

ace149f983474939bfedeea6e1e70598.png

When I asked more background details on where they got it, all I received were very vague answers. All I know is that a customer is selling it via the LFS for RM 600. I just hope some total noob doesn't purchase it thinking it's cute (which it is, for now). That thing's going to grow huge in the years to come and will need a whole pond for it.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cencalfishguy56

Alright, so the footage is probably really poor, but here's the lil' guy. I genuinely have mixed feelings about seeing a LFS sell a live baby sea turtle to virtually anyone. Really, I do.

fish is one thing but a sea turtle is too much imo, I'd be upset not gonna lie

fish is one thing but a sea turtle is too much imo, I'd be upset not gonna lie

I'm upset as well. On one hand he's cute, but on another, this is wrong on so many levels. You should see my local fishkeeping group that I manage - pretty much all the reefers have crawled out of the woodwork to comment on the thread there. Some suggested that I report it to the authorities, but I need to track down the original customer who's selling this guy for RM 600. The LFS is right now a 'show' arena so that the turtle can be displayed and sold to someone who has enough money.

Cencalfishguy56

I'm upset as well. On one hand he's cute, but on another, this is wrong on so many levels. You should see my local fishkeeping group that I manage - pretty much all the reefers have crawled out of the woodwork to comment on the thread there. Some suggested that I report it to the authorities, but I need to track down the original customer who's selling this guy for RM 600. The LFS is right now a 'show' arena so that the turtle can be displayed and sold to someone who has enough money.

yea that is sad, I think if you can find out who the collector is that would help stop it

I Would definitely report it to the Fish and Wildlife. There are Federal and State laws being broken!

Here in Florida, if u even disturb a nest ur in a heap of trouble!

yea that is sad, I think if you can find out who the collector is that would help stop it

I Would definitely report it to the Fish and Wildlife. There are Federal and State laws being broken!

Here in Florida, if u even disturb a nest ur in a heap of trouble!

For us, all wildlife come under the responsibility PERHILITAN dept. - they are the ones that issue licenses and permits on keeping exotic pets (mammals, reptiles, birds etc.). The problem is here they preach more than they teach. Many tourists have seen so-called tour guides and locals disturbing turtle nests right after they lay their eggs, and then selling those eggs or eating them. And there are shameless posters all over the place preaching turtle conservation. :furious:

I thought Saron shrimp were not reef safe?

Tbh, this is my third Saron shrimp that I've owned and he hasn't gone after my coral. My previous two didn't, either. But I kept them happy by target-feeding them mysis/brine/roe/chunks of shrimp or squid every alternate day. They would eat pellets otherwise.

That turtle is likely illegal

I think you're most likely correct. No one seems to keen to pass on any information to me - shop seems intent to provide cover for the seller. I'll try to talk to the manager - we're good friends, and hopefully he'd do the right thing and report it/return it to the wildlife dept. As a third party, I can only report, but I can't touch or handle the animal unless I'm purchasing it.

Snow_Phoenix, I had to Google "PERHILITAN". I was unaware that u lived in Malaysia.

Laws here in the United States are Strictly enforced.

I do hope u can make an impact at least for that 1 Baby Sea Turtle.

Snow_Phoenix, I had to Google "PERHILITAN". I was unaware that u lived in Malaysia.

Laws here in the United States are Strictly enforced.

I do hope u can make an impact at least for that 1 Baby Sea Turtle.

Yes, Astinus, I live in Malaysia - the Southern tip of Johor state, to be exact. To my knowledge, we only get turtles from the east coast of the Peninsular (mainland) which is in Terengganu. Which genuinely makes me wonder how/where this baby came from.

I and many if not all here on the forum are genuinely concerned for the overall well being of that baby Sea Turtle.

I can't imagine it would survive long in a "Home" Aquarium. It certainly would have a much better chance in a

"Rehab" setting designed for caring of Marine life, with the ultimate goal of setting it free 1 day, if possible.

We live in Florida and there are a few resources for such critters in need of honest and helpful human intervention.

I and many if not all here on the forum are genuinely concerned for the overall well being of that baby Sea Turtle.

I can't imagine it would survive long in a "Home" Aquarium. It certainly would have a much better chance in a

"Rehab" setting designed for caring of Marine life, with the ultimate goal of setting it free 1 day, if possible.

We live in Florida and there are a few resources for such critters in need of honest and helpful human intervention.

You're very lucky in that aspect - I don't know much about wildlife rehab here, tbh. I know that there is a very high demand for exotic wildlife in the black market. The government did give all owners an option to apply for a license, microchip and in the case of birds - fix a leg ring for ID - for all owned exotics.

Tbh, this isn't the first time I've seen questionable wildlife on sale - just recently someone was selling Arctic fox kits to the highest bidder/wealthy businessmen as pets. My country has an average temp of 36'C to 40'C on most days. I can't imagine what a fox in a winter coat would feel like in the tropics. It's ridiculous.

As long as you have the money, anything goes, I suppose...

WOW! That IS very Sad!

We do own 4 Parrots. However these were "Captive" Bred and do have leg bands.

It is required now a days, but there are still some birds that were wild caught back in the 80s.

Laws have changed since and those Wild caught were grandfathered into the law.

It really is sad how Man tries to profit from illicit importation of exotics :(

As far as the Fox Kits go, They were probably ill gotten from the wild, taken from Mama.

And when they grow up, they are still wild and not tame, but "Trained"

Really Sad :(

WOW! That IS very Sad!

We do own 4 Parrots. However these were "Captive" Bred and do have leg bands.

It is required now a days, but there are still some birds that were wild caught back in the 80s.

Laws have changed since and those Wild caught were grandfathered into the law.

It really is sad how Man tries to profit from illicit importation of exotics :(

As far as the Fox Kits go, They were probably ill gotten from the wild, taken from Mama.

And when they grow up, they are still wild and not tame, but "Trained"

Really Sad :(

It is very sad. And I own 2 parrots - I tried to put a leg band on my sun conure but he wouldn't let me and that was the end of that. I'm waiting for him to turn 1 before registering him with the Wildlife Dept and getting a full permit (baby birds can't be registered until they are sub-adults).

Yes, and it is indeed a pity about the kits. I remember some irresponsible moron bought a wolf and killed it within 6 months (animal died due to heat stroke) a few years ago. There are just some things you shouldn't buy.

As for me, I'm saving up money to buy a hyacinth macaw with full CITES permit/license in about a year or two. I've been studying them for quite a well, and have decided to splurge a bit. (Only problem is that a local breeder is asking for RM 120K per bird, so I might have to import a HY from a breeder in the US or UK).

WOW! I am familiar with Hyacinths! Beautiful and large!

Here in the States you are shelling out 10K Dollars.

Looks like u are or will be shelling out 29K Dollars...Google is my Friend ;)

WOW! I am familiar with Hyacinths! Beautiful and large!

Here in the States you are shelling out 10K Dollars.

Looks like u are or will be shelling out 29K Dollars...Google is my Friend ;)

*groan* I know. It's 3x the amount. :unsure:

Thankfully someone is trying to get me some contacts for HY breeders in the US that might consider exportation. I don't mind knocking off a few thousand from the final price. :closedeyes:

How did I miss your new tank? I have to make some meatballs and put them in the crock pot but after that I'll have to read from the beginning and catch up.

How did I miss your new tank? I have to make some meatballs and put them in the crock pot but after that I'll have to read from the beginning and catch up.

Hi Flower! Thanks for swinging by. I'm just about to head off to bed for the night (or rather early morning). Take your own time to read - there's nothing much actually - just slow additions of livestock one by one. :happy:

Archived