Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anyone in British Columbia have a cold water?

squamptonbc

squamptonbc

And if anyone in BC does, where do you get your live stock.

I would love to have a cold water tank, but to stock it one can't exactly go into the fish store like with tropicals and haven't seen any cold water live stock ever in a store.

AquaticEngineer

From the regulations I've read there is some form of personal collection allowed in BC, I never looked much further into it though because I would have been dealing with international border crossing with my catch.

I would double check with local fish and game regulations online and see, BC has some prime collecting areas if you are able to :)

Yea in Florida a recreational angler/diver is allowed to remove 25 corals from unprotected reefs a day as long as they don't have more than like. 1/4 inch of rock attached to them upon removal.

AquaticEngineer

And if anyone in BC does, where do you get your live stock.

I would love to have a cold water tank, but to stock it one can't exactly go into the fish store like with tropicals and haven't seen any cold water live stock ever in a store.

Posted this in another thread for you.

This might help for personal collection in BC :)

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

But you will want to read this about what is Always illegal....

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.html

Farther down on the page of the above link it states:

"It is illegal to: release live fish into any fish habitat except for fish that you immediately return to the water you caught it from"

So that likely eliminates the ability to catch your own fish for your tank, but it may not eliminate invertebrates or other things. I haven't looked into that part yet. You can also get in touch with commercial fisherman and local seafood sellers that sell live catch, or contact some of the people up there that do collection of species already for public aquariums and such.

squamptonbc

I've emailed Oceans and Fisheries Canada to inquire. I did find on their website collecting for public aquariums, science, educational etc but it didn't reference for home hobbyists.

Your links I will take a look at. I am really lousy at navigating govt websites...lol

I posted on a Canadian forum as well but nobody seems to have a cold water tank at least they are not admittng they do....

It's something I would like to do in the futire, but want to see if it's even viable option here.

squamptonbc

I did get a reply from Oceans & Fisheries Canada so kudos to a gov't agency for replying, however the reply isn't of much use, so I'll have to make a call and try and get a more specific answer...

"Thank you for your email dated 12 July 2016, requesting information on the regulations concerning live capture of marine species in the Pacific Region.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s Conservation and Protection Branch enforces the Fisheries Act and other acts and regulations that govern aquaculture as well as Aboriginal, commercial and recreational fisheries, in order to promote the sustainability of marine resources and the conservation of fish habitat.

The Branch also provides information on interpreting and complying with the Fisheries Act.

In addition, the Branch issues marine mammal transportation licences for the transport of marine mammal parts and products from one province or territory to another."

AquaticEngineer

With a BC shellfish license/permit you are able to take 4 "other" crab species per person per day. So there is your hermit crab collection at least :)

AquaticEngineer

6 starfish

6 sand dollar

12 Urchins

12 cucumbers

1 octopus

4 "other" crab

75 Shore crab

20 Squid "all other species" (which if you knew where to look would include stubby squid AKA bobtail squid)

20 "other Species" which they note as having the "daily limit is per individual species not already listed in this guide."

Things like anemones would fall under this "other species" category. So that's 20 anemones a day ;)

You can have a pretty bad ass invertebrate coldwater tank and collect your own stuff it looks like :)

blizzardscout2

I have kicked around the idea for awhile myself. I haven't looked too hard into Washington regulations, but I bet they are similar. The Micro Reef temperate tank would be ideal. Good luck with your system if you decide to go ahead and do it. Are you a diver?

AquaticEngineer

I have kicked around the idea for awhile myself. I haven't looked too hard into Washington regulations, but I bet they are similar. The Micro Reef temperate tank would be ideal. Good luck with your system if you decide to go ahead and do it. Are you a diver?

The state of Washington unfortunately is much more strict than either Oregon or BC, but not quite as limiting as California.

Heres the info for WA state:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01818/2016-17_shellfish.pdf

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01818/2016-17_marine.pdf

Basically, if it is listed as something you may take in those fishing regs you are ok to take it for personal use as long as you abide by the gear, bag, and area restrictions listed.

If it is not listed you cannot take it.

Both Oregon and BC have listings that allow take of "other shellfish" or "other invertebrates" which allows all the things not listed to be lumped into that category (things like anemones for example). The state of Washington does not have that.

AquaticEngineer

Thank you for the update. That is too bad, the small anemones are really nice in the tidal zone

Just come collect them in Oregon :) Its only $26 for a non-resident annual shellfish permit, or $17 for a 3 day permit. Then you can legally take 10 anemones per person per day down here.

squamptonbc

Thanks for the BC info, I searched the DFO website, but I had no idea what I was really looking for, and my searches clearly were not the right ones for google to find the correct link....lol

I don't dive which likely will complicate matters, but maybe an area near shore that isn't protected waters where snorkeling is doable, but who knows, I am still a long ways off before going the cold route, very early research stage.

AquaticEngineer

Thanks for the BC info, I searched the DFO website, but I had no idea what I was really looking for, and my searches clearly were not the right ones for google to find the correct link....lol

I don't dive which likely will complicate matters, but maybe an area near shore that isn't protected waters where snorkeling is doable, but who knows, I am still a long ways off before going the cold route, very early research stage.

No need to dive for a lot of it, you can find tons of interesting invertebrates just in the tide pools during a low tide.

squamptonbc

True true.

No need to dive for a lot of it, you can find tons of interesting invertebrates just in the tide pools during a low tide.

Archived