Coral Vue Hydros

Which Goby should we get?

NYfishies

Ya I went there earlier which is why I am hopeful again!

Awesome shot!

I am strongly leaning towards just getting the yasha/shrimp combo rather than 2 gobies and 1 shrimp. I would like to add 1 more fish to this tank so I should focus on a different type. Any suggestions for a higher end, rarer nano fish?

If you stalk divers den, you can get many rare fish. Sometimes you have to be willing to wait a month or a year, even if you don't know what you want, you can see their list before they post and google all of the names till you find something you like that is suitable.

Otherwise I would suggest Assessor basslets. They can swim upside down and wont perch on your zoa's and come in yellow and blue. Highly underrated fish. My yellow was extremely peaceful comical fish.

http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/assessors/

If you stalk divers den, you can get many rare fish. Sometimes you have to be willing to wait a month or a year, even if you don't know what you want, you can see their list before they post and google all of the names till you find something you like that is suitable.

Otherwise I would suggest Assessor basslets. They can swim upside down and wont perch on your zoa's and come in yellow and blue. Highly underrated fish. My yellow was extremely peaceful comical fish.

Gosh the Yellow Assessor is gorgeous! We loved our Yellow Clown Gobies, but we have not had good luck with them. This would be a nice alternative and perfect color contrast to the other tank mates.

I put in a request at our LFS for the Yasha/Randal pair and will keep waiting Diver's Den. They have a Orange Stripe Prawn / Randal pair up right now.

Agree with the Assessors. Awesome little fish. In fact, I had one with a Yasha and they got along well.

Agree with the Assessors. Awesome little fish. In fact, I had one with a Yasha and they got along well.

Appreciate the input!

I really want to thank everybody for the advice! :grouphug::wub:

A 10g will be way too small for an assessor I fear.

If you were willing to shell out the money for a dracula goby, spend a little more and get a white cap goby.

I've had one for over a year now. It will likely come with a pistol shrimp, and Randall's pistols are so docile, even if you have both, I doubt you'd have any trouble.

I have several Flaming prawn gobies in my 20g and see them relatively often, at least 3-4 times a week. They are stunning.

Try some Trimma and Eviotas, too - a 20g is more than enough room for them.

All my gobies eat calanus and flakes.

A 10g will be way too small for an assessor I fear.

If you were willing to shell out the money for a dracula goby, spend a little more and get a white cap goby.

I've had one for over a year now. It will likely come with a pistol shrimp, and Randall's pistols are so docile, even if you have both, I doubt you'd have any trouble.

I have several Flaming prawn gobies in my 20g and see them relatively often, at least 3-4 times a week. They are stunning.

Try some Trimma and Eviotas, too - a 20g is more than enough room for them.

All my gobies eat calanus and flakes.

Would love to see pictures.

My understanding is white caps are shy, I'm thinking one wouldn't fare well in a 75g? Although perhaps if there was enough pods, ect to forage on it would work.

Speaking of unique fish on Divers Den, I picked up something called a yellow Lined Shrimp Goby, Vanderhorstia flavilineata today. Can't find much info on it.

74d068e3.jpg

The Yasha/Candy cane combo is my fav. I agree that a yellow assessor is too much fish for the tank though. It's also a shallow tank so that limits choices. Neon Goby?

I was afraid it sounded too good to be true when I checked the requirements (30g min).

I just picked up a orange spotted goby and a tiger pistol. They were pulled from separate tanks at the same LFS and mated up very quickly. Very cool to see.

I forgot the size of tank you had. However, my assessor was not a hyperactive fish, it swims slowly, mostly hovering in one part of the tank, it liked to hover upside down inside caves too. My 1st one spent a few weeks in a 12g QT before going into a 40g, I never got the feeling that this fish couldn't work in a tank that size. I know Ingreen has it listed for 10g but his guide is certainly the ultimate minimum.

I did not catch the dimensions of your tank though.

Here is a somewhat similar 'basslet' LA lists as 10g, never owned one but I think the difference is they are more shy. Perhaps this one would be better suited for ya.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+21+1436&pcatid=1436

I forgot the size of tank you had. However, my assessor was not a hyperactive fish, it swims slowly, mostly hovering in one part of the tank, it liked to hover upside down inside caves too. My 1st one spent a few weeks in a 12g QT before going into a 40g, I never got the feeling that this fish couldn't work in a tank that size. I know Ingreen has it listed for 10g but his guide is certainly the ultimate minimum.

I did not catch the dimensions of your tank though.

Here is a somewhat similar 'basslet' LA lists as 10g, never owned one but I think the difference is they are more shy. Perhaps this one would be better suited for ya.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+21+1436&pcatid=1436

Think that Basslet would look too similar to our Pink Streaked Wrasse? It is really nice looking! Not sure how I have missed that one.

How do you search LiveAquaria for the out of stock fish like that Basslet?

Think that Basslet would look too similar to our Pink Streaked Wrasse? It is really nice looking! Not sure how I have missed that one.

How do you search LiveAquaria for the out of stock fish like that Basslet?

I honestly was wondering how to show out of stock too. I just know the fishes name so I brought it up that way. I think if you just search their site for Basslet too it will show up as well.]

I don't have any experience with that one personally to know if there would be any aggression. The body shape of the two is not similar at all though.

This is another similar: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+57&pcatid=57

I have a Swalesi basslet which is similar and it is definitely not aggressive at all, but is very shy and hides most of the day. Beautiful fish though.

I have a Swalesi basslet which is similar and it is definitely not aggressive at all, but is very shy and hides most of the day. Beautiful fish though.

I honestly was wondering how to show out of stock too. I just know the fishes name so I brought it up that way. I think if you just search their site for Basslet too it will show up as well.]

I don't have any experience with that one personally to know if there would be any aggression. The body shape of the two is not similar at all though.

This is another similar: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+57&pcatid=57

Had no idea I could be looking at these Basslets!

Littlesardines

I love the randall's gobies, but they never seem to do well in my tank. :(

Yasha are really cute too, haha i would love to have all the gobies if i could. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

So we went with the Yasha/Randal and are in love. They are not the least bit shy and spend all day out of the multiple burrows.

Craziest thing is our Helfrichi Firefish seems to be very fond of the pair. When she is not swimming out in the water column she is in the same main burrow of the Yasha and Shrimp. She also sleeps with them. I know she is also a Goby, but is this normal?

Hi all,

So we went with the Yasha/Randal and are in love. They are not the least bit shy and spend all day out of the multiple burrows.

Craziest thing is our Helfrichi Firefish seems to be very fond of the pair. When she is not swimming out in the water column she is in the same main burrow of the Yasha and Shrimp. She also sleeps with them. I know she is also a Goby, but is this normal?

Yes, they are known to share burrows with gobies. Pretty neat.

Yes, they are known to share burrows with gobies. Pretty neat.

This is just fantastic and may be the best thing ever. I cannot tell you how much we adore our Helfrichi and for her to be so comfortable with the Yasha is incredible. The color contrast is amazing.

What makes it even better is that our Pink-Streaked Wrasse sleeps about 4" away and often swims very close to the other 2 fish. Talk about a trio of happy and friendly fishies! :wub::happydance::grouphug:

That's so cool! My purple fire fish two clowns and pink streaked wrasse literally all hang out in one small area in the tank as well. It's very amusing to watch.

Pic or it didn't happen

Here is the best I could get! Since it is not bedtime yet Bert & Ernie are still in their day burrow. In a few hours they will head to the larger burrow where Emmy currently is.

This is the only shot I got that you could see all 3 together. The others Emmy is in the cave and I cannot get the right angle with the camera so you can see her.

IMG_4838.jpg

Here is what the tank looks like right when I walk into the apartment. Bert is always there to greet me. :happy:

IMG_4832.jpg
IMG_4834.jpg
IMG_4833.jpg
IMG_4835.jpg
IMG_4836.jpg
IMG_4837.jpg
Here are some other perspectives.
IMG_4839.jpg
IMG_4840.jpg

Archived