ReefCleaners.org

TSouth's Spec V - Corals incoming. Teasers!

tsouth

Fully geared up, no more equipment needed other than a frag rack that's in the post as we speak. Feels good.

Today I added a Smart Micro ATO, Freshwater reservoir, and lastly the Mame Protein Skimmer. It was most definitely the cherry on top.

Everything is nicely tucked away in a cable box, that also serves as protection from the elements. The ATO reservoir was simply an air tight container that I drilled into so that I could feed the power and feed tube through for the ato.

Lets fill'er up!

wWn5dpH.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expecting a shipment tomorrow. Posting some teasers of a few of the pieces inbound.

Palys:

Purple%20Valkoz%20Palys_zpsgjkpgvul.jpg

Cyphastrea:

Amazonia%20Cyphastrea_zpsevrqxenh.jpg

Acanthestrea Hillae:Powerpuff%20Girls%20Hillae_zpsaf6lmdzx.j

Expect about 20 more tomorrow!

North Borders

Is this by chance the new Evo-5 and not the Spec V? I noticed the honeycomb look on the filter compartment...

By the way, love that lid!

Is this by chance the new Evo-5 and not the Spec V? I noticed the honeycomb look on the filter compartment...

By the way, love that lid!

It is. I believe it's the same tank as the spec v, including dimensions for products like the in tank media basket. It has the latticed design rather than the frosted glass as well. Fwiw this is what is being received when purchasing a spec v from amazon.

North Borders

It is. I believe it's the same tank as the spec v, including dimensions for products like the in tank media basket. It has the latticed design rather than the frosted glass as well. Fwiw this is what is being received when purchasing a spec v from amazon.

I love the look of the lattice on the filter compartment.

How's the Mame skimmer working out for you? I was looking at one of those for when I switch one of my SpecVs to a nano-reef.

I love the look of the lattice on the filter compartment.

How's the Mame skimmer working out for you? I was looking at one of those for when I switch one of my SpecVs to a nano-reef.

It's surely a great all in one. I really do enjoy it quite a bit. My current problem is that i've already run out of space. I had literally one order come in today and have filled up all the real estate lol.

The Mame skimmer is functional, it's beautiful, and it's consistent. My one hard recommendation is to make sure you grab a ball/needle valve. two little fishes sells micro ones in packs of 6. This will change everything. Make sure you follow instructions to a T with regards to measurements and depths, and you should be all good. I am currently running a tetra whisper 20 on it which is pretty powerful, but I expect to run 2 skimmers in the future on my next tank, which apparently is looking to be much sooner than expected...oh dear

• 2 weeks later...

New Lid. Adjustments made to fit in the skimmer. This version uses a deep red acrylic for accenting and features removal netting. The insert was laser cut and can be made to any custom pattern. I decided to stick with octagons right now.

VwKkvqB.jpg

fEz0koi.jpg

Woot Woot!!!

That is a kickass looking lid. How does it stay in place? Clips or by the 2 red ridges?

The honeycomb looks gorgeous. Maybe you need a tiny handle for lifting it out. Where'd you make this?

Held in place using the two red ridges. They fit snug inside the tank. They're wide enough so that the insert can rest on top. Your profile pic is epic

Super nice. I want a lid like that with white trim. Being able to slip out the honeycomb is awesome and would let me actually leave the surround in place - valuable with a rest-on-rim light like the orbit marine, which I have to lift to remove my lid every time I feed... jealous. :) and you got me thinkin...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's still up and running as good as can be. Coralline is filling in, lots of micro life, typical tank growth. I'll grab a picture tonight if I get to it.

I want to do a long tank, but this calls for a more suitable apartment. Something like 36Lx18Wx10H. Plus I want a sump! Hiding equipment is really important to me. Haven't gotten much further than that, but I can only upgrade from here. We'll see how this plays out!

Archived