inTank Media Baskets

Orlando Bound - Can I Fly w/ Corals?

Magick

Carrying firearms on planes is nothing new to the Americas. So is transporting livestock haha I'd say you Canadians need to get with the program. :D:happy:

Oh, transporting livestock and whatnot isn't a problem provided you aren't trying to fly a horse or something silly like that... It's the crossborder stuff that causes issues thanks to endangered species laws and whatnot.

As for firearms.. Eh, to each their own.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting corals through TSA screening can be really hit or miss since they're in water. Technically the TSA rule is that if there is a live creature in the water, it can be carried on, but the problem there is that most TSA agents can't tell if coral is "alive" and it's up to their discretion if they let you take the it through. It's much less risk to get through with fish in terms of carryon since they're swimming and visibly alive.

If you want to fly with coral, I'd pack them into your checked bag. That's what I've done on several occasions without issue. I just bought a big Tupperware with those snap lid closures that make a really good seal and then placed my coral bags with padding into that Tupperware. Then I put the Tupperware down into the center of my suitcase and made sure it was held in place by the clothes. You want to make sure it's in the middle and insulated with clothes because it gets cold in the cargo hold during a flight. Taping a heat pack inside the lid of the Tupperware can be a great idea too. Anyways, this method has worked out great for me on the couple occasions that I've done it.

The liquid is the issue with TSA not the coral. I have heard some people say that they just showed the coral to the TSA agent and they were allowed to bring it on as carry on as long as it was less than 4 ounces. This is all at the discretion of the agent. One might let you do it, another might say no way.

Felicia's solution would be safer but you might have an issue with a heat pack. Not sure how dense they are? When TSA scans checked luggage dense items scan like certain types of plastic explosives. A book for example will be a concern. I have had my checked bags searched a couple of times when I packed a book. TSA leaves you a note telling you it was opened and searched.

Oh, transporting livestock and whatnot isn't a problem provided you aren't trying to fly a horse or something silly like that... It's the crossborder stuff that causes issues thanks to endangered species laws and whatnot.

As for firearms.. Eh, to each their own.

There is nothing silly about a flying horse....

Square-resin-diamond-painting-crystal-fu

The TSA liquid limit is 3.4 oz (100 mL) in one container and all containers must fit in a quart sized bag. That is going to be a really difficult way to transport anything smaller than a couple very small frags. A urine specimen cup is 4 oz. If you're going to be buying anything bigger than small frags, or want to bring home more than like 2 frags, then this isn't going to work. However, during MACNA in Denver we spoke to TSA on the phone and they have some exceptions to the liquid limit such as formula for infants, medications, etc. One of these exceptions is that you can bring a larger volume of water through security as long as there is a live animal in the water. Basically, the live animal proves that its just water and not say an explosive chemical. However, while this can work with fish, it becomes difficult with corals because most TSA employees aren't going to know how to tell if a coral is indeed "alive". Its completely up to the discretion of the TSA agents on duty if they let you through with the corals, so that can be risky. When we came back from MACNA in Denver, my friend carried a pair on clownfish with an anemone and a white tail bristletooth tang in bags of water through security. Obviously those needed to be in much more than 4 oz of water, but they were also all obviously alive. Luckily also, since it was MACNA, a ton of people were going through security in the airport with corals and fish, so TSA was more aware that specific day and being pretty reasonable. The TSA agent we spoke to at the airport said that he was actually a retired Marine with tons of diving experience, so he'd be able to identify corals as alive to let them through security. However, you might not luck out and get someone like that on duty with TSA when you go through.

Based on all that information, we decided to send the corals in the checked bags which relieves a ton of the stress and is super easy. All corals when they get shipped to wholesalers, then to stores, and to customers fly in the cargo holds of airplanes, so its basically just like shipping your corals. Also, considering you pack up the coral yourself and then unpack it at home the same day, its actually much less time in transit than shipping, so it can be less stressful than shipping. Also its cheaper if you're already paying to check a bag (or flying Southwest)! The considerations are just to make sure you put the bags into a rigid container so that when your suitcase gets thrown around, the bags can't get popped or punctured. I'd also recommend a tupperware or something watertight instead of a cardboard box if you're putting them in with your clothes in case of any leaks. And then just try to insulate around your frags as much as possible since the cargo hold gets cold. That's really about it and its very easy!

The TSA liquid limit is 3.4 oz (100 mL) in one container and all containers must fit in a quart sized bag. That is going to be a really difficult way to transport anything smaller than a couple very small frags. A urine specimen cup is 4 oz. If you're going to be buying anything bigger than small frags, or want to bring home more than like 2 frags, then this isn't going to work. However, during MACNA in Denver we spoke to TSA on the phone and they have some exceptions to the liquid limit such as formula for infants, medications, etc. One of these exceptions is that you can bring a larger volume of water through security as long as there is a live animal in the water. Basically, the live animal proves that its just water and not say an explosive chemical. However, while this can work with fish, it becomes difficult with corals because most TSA employees aren't going to know how to tell if a coral is indeed "alive". Its completely up to the discretion of the TSA agents on duty if they let you through with the corals, so that can be risky. When we came back from MACNA in Denver, my friend carried a pair on clownfish with an anemone and a white tail bristletooth tang in bags of water through security. Obviously those needed to be in much more than 4 oz of water, but they were also all obviously alive. Luckily also, since it was MACNA, a ton of people were going through security in the airport with corals and fish, so TSA was more aware that specific day and being pretty reasonable. The TSA agent we spoke to at the airport said that he was actually a retired Marine with tons of diving experience, so he'd be able to identify corals as alive to let them through security. However, you might not luck out and get someone like that on duty with TSA when you go through.

Based on all that information, we decided to send the corals in the checked bags which relieves a ton of the stress and is super easy. All corals when they get shipped to wholesalers, then to stores, and to customers fly in the cargo holds of airplanes, so its basically just like shipping your corals. Also, considering you pack up the coral yourself and then unpack it at home the same day, its actually much less time in transit than shipping, so it can be less stressful than shipping. Also its cheaper if you're already paying to check a bag (or flying Southwest)! The considerations are just to make sure you put the bags into a rigid container so that when your suitcase gets thrown around, the bags can't get popped or punctured. I'd also recommend a tupperware or something watertight instead of a cardboard box if you're putting them in with your clothes in case of any leaks. And then just try to insulate around your frags as much as possible since the cargo hold gets cold. That's really about it and its very easy!

a whole new level of information and answer. :eek:

Too much to read.

But seriously. Someone on here(HM) has flown with coral a couple times in bags. They had no issue at all with TSA.

Too much to read.

But seriously. Someone on here(HM) has flown with coral a couple times in bags. They had no issue at all with TSA.

Yeah twice now. From DC to DAL and Orlando to DAL.

TSA never gave me any trouble. I simply kept my receipt, walked up to the TSA person and told them what I was carrying. I sent the last batch through the x-ray machine without any ill effects.

The first batch I asked them to hand inspect. Still no issues. I just geeked out about corals and how cool they were.

I wish they would either drop the liquid restrictions completely, or not allow coral (in water) to be carried on. Especially when you consider that most TSA agents wouldn't have the background to make a determination if it were real or not.

Security tends to get tighter following terrorist attacks, and loosens over time. But we should either be very strict about these restrictions all the time, or ditch them completely. To me, allowing exceptions (for coral) seems to defeat the purpose.

I wish they would either drop the liquid restrictions completely, or not allow coral (in water) to be carried on. Especially when you consider that most TSA agents wouldn't have the background to make a determination if it were real or not.

Security tends to get tighter following terrorist attacks, and loosens over time. But we should either be very strict about these restrictions all the time, or ditch them completely. To me, allowing exceptions (for coral) seems to defeat the purpose.

A limit on water is asinine though. There is no explosive that I know of that comes in a completely clear form.

My argument is to either restrict it without exceptions, or lift them completely. Securing the cockpit was the most important change made after 9/11 (as the planes were used as the weapons). I feel that most of the additional security isn't adding a lot (there are higher concentrations of people in other, less secure areas). The Brussels bombings were pre security screening.

Yeah, my argument is to either restrict it, or don't. Securing the cockpit was the most important change made after 9/11 (as the plane itself was used as the weapon). I feel that most of the additional security isn't adding that much (there are higher concentrations of people in other, less secure areas). The Brussels bombings were pre security screening.

The Brussels bombings were also something that (if I remember right anyways), has happened before in Russia with a suicide bomber in the security line, very similar scenario. I could be mistaken but I want to say that was in 2013 or so?

The actually kinda scary part is all of the airports I've been through would be susceptible to the exact same style of bombing pre security.

How do you fly with your firearms? Does that require permit or paperwork?

Sorry for thread hijack!

In the state of Florida I have my concealed weapon license. That allows me to carry a firearm within the state and in any state that reciprocates the same laws and license. When travelling with a firearm on a plane, there can't be any ammo stored within the case it is in and must be locked by TSA controlled locks (pretty much don't travel with ammo unless you check the bag under the plane to be safe). Once you land at your destination you bring it to TSA and they unlock it for you. Pretty simple.

A limit on water is asinine though. There is no explosive that I know of that comes in a completely clear form.

Braaap, umm, what ya think of this?

ceO1uO.jpg

It's Clear...

Not poking fun, but...

Well in all fairness I had a back up plan. I didn't buy any fleshy LPS. If TSA had decided not to be polite about it I was going to carry them back in wet paper towels wrapped in the bag. They probably would've been fine..

It's probably best not to discuss this subject in too much detail. Suffice to say that it's dangerous in its pure form.

It's probably best not to discuss this subject in too much detail. Suffice to say that it's dangerous in its pure form.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update on my experience flying with corals.

I was flagged by TSA, and the first guy was adamant that they couldn't go. His supervisor was brought over and pulled out the rule book. The supervisor found the section on fish & frogs, had me patted down, inspected my frags, and had me on my way.

I'd recommend allowing plenty of extra time to get thru security, and of couse be polite. But TSA was nice and appreciated my heads up about Reefapalooza coming up.

Archived