Cultivated Reef

Aviators IM Fusion 20 ( New photos 08/17)

aviator300

I just got caught up with your thread, welcome back! I totally understand the desire to upgrade when there's something fundamentally limited with the setup that no amount of work will fix. Annette's right, though, I'm not sure going from a 5 to 7 is going to change the limitations you're experiencing. Plus the price difference between a Zen 7 and the 11 or even bigger is pretty small.

We're to here to enable your addiction, you're welcome! :lol:

Seriously, though, I really appreciate the frustration you've felt with not being more successful and being impatient. I'm a pretty detail-oriented personality, and I don't like not being able to control every little thing in my life. Keeping a pico and a nano reef tank has really helped me to realize that I just have to let go and accept that I actually have very little control over what happens in that tank. All I can do is set up the best possible conditions and hope it goes OK. And, wow, I am not the most patient person in the world - and patience is probably the most important thing in this hobby~

But I also learned that when I stop trying to control what happens, things usually turn out well, just not the way I planned it. None of my tank are even close to the way they started, and certainly don't look anything like I thought it would when I planned it out. :P Like you said in your first post, the key is to just ride it out, relax and let it happen. Good luck!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aviator300

I have to ask, at this point why not do a 20g? Esp since you're getting an MP10. That's a crapload of money for a 7g tank. I just think it'd be a better decision for you. Check for the Petco $1 sale, for 20 or 40g.

I agree. So if I give you my wifes phone number will you convince her LOL.

The truth is that I agree with you and Teeny and my eventual plan is to go with a bigger tank (20 to 30 g). That is why I purchased the

MP 10 and the DUO, but here is my current situation.

My wife and I reconciled last November after a 4 month separation and several moves state to state. A small part of the issues we had was the number of tanks I had and the general messy and cluttered conditions in our living room associated with the tanks. I also spent tons of money on my reefing addiction while on a fixed income.

Fast forward to today. When we got back together, she agreed I should have a hobby and we both decided that I would keep it small for a while this time. (You know,,"go along to get along" Hahah).

Well, we both love each other very much but she has Zero interest in aquariums which in a way is good because she doesn't even notice when something new is added to my collection. Anyway, I want to keep things low key for a while along with keeping things uncluttered and neat. She doesn't even notice the difference between the 5g and the 7g (or doesn't ask) and she wont even notice the new light or MP10. She might, however, throw a fit if I brought a 20+ gal tank into our small apt so I'm just biding my time and keeping a very clean and small reef area and plan to upgrade larger after a few months of showing her how clean and beautiful a reef tank can be in our living room (Next to the new furniture I am allowing her to purchase Hahah).

Sounds like you have a sound plan, then :D

My relationship with my wife is great, but my recent 40g upgrade only happened after I suggested we get that new mattress she's been wanting first!

FlowerMama

I'm happy most of all for you that you're both understanding each other has some needs/wants and you're sharing. Kudos to you both, it is a give n' take, pick your battles kind of thing sometimes. But so much better to be with someone than alone. 4 yrs now and I miss having a male to talk to, to pat me on the shoulder when he walks by. Next Wed will be 4 yrs my soul mate has been deceased. It's only now, taken this long to be able to consider having someone in my life again. It'll happen someday.

aviator300

Sounds like you have a sound plan, then :D

My relationship with my wife is great, but my recent 40g upgrade only happened after I suggested we get that new mattress she's been wanting first!

Yep, The new furniture thing worked well for me. In actuality, I didn't mean to make it sound like she would throttle me or anything if I brought a bigger tank in right now, I'm just trying to be more sensitive to her feelings than I used to be.

I'm happy most of all for you that you're both understanding each other has some needs/wants and you're sharing. Kudos to you both, it is a give n' take, pick your battles kind of thing sometimes. But so much better to be with someone than alone. 4 yrs now and I miss having a male to talk to, to pat me on the shoulder when he walks by. Next Wed will be 4 yrs my soul mate has been deceased. It's only now, taken this long to be able to consider having someone in my life again. It'll happen someday.

It sure will Annette, You appear to be a wonderful and attractive young lady (respectfully). I lost my first wife 16 years ago and just found Bonnie in 2012. Just don't look too hard but just let it happen.

FlowerMama

Yep, The new furniture thing worked well for me. In actuality, I didn't mean to make it sound like she would throttle me or anything if I brought a bigger tank in right now, I'm just trying to be more sensitive to her feelings than I used to be.

It sure will Annette, You appear to be a wonderful and attractive young lady (respectfully). I lost my first wife 16 years ago and just found Bonnie in 2012. Just don't look too hard but just let it happen.

Thanks. I just have to trust that it will, and hope that God puts someone in my life that also happens to love the saltwater hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's the first peek at the new tank.

The changes to the original are as follows.

1. moved to a Cadlights Zen 7

2. Added NanoBox DUO

3. Canned the Rio 90 and added an MP 10

4. Changed from the AC 50 to an AC70 with InTank Media basket.

5. Using an antique jewelry cabinet for the stand.

6. Added some coral (Gorgs, Gsp, Red sponge, Zoos)

I'm going to post more pics of the tank and stand (both inside and out) when I figure out my new cell cam.

8691fec6-6d1a-4c44-8cb8-05a7ae3e699e_zps

Looks nice! I bet you don't have any problems with shadowing with a Duo over that tank :)

No shadowing at all. Only issue is I had to be very careful with the bluefish settings because (obviously) the Duo is much brighter than the Tide even at the same comparative settings. Purchased the Duo and MP10 so i'll be all set when I change to something larger (possibly IM Nuvo 20) in my future.. Notice I didn't use the word "Upgrade" but said "change" to something larger. I think we use that word way too much because it's starting to sound like a Reefers catch phrase. We buy a new car, we purchase a larger home, we remodel our kitchens, and we buy our kids new clothes, but we UPGRADE our tanks and lights and filters and skimmers, etc

Ok, I'm glad I got that out of my system because I feel so much better now. Thanks for listening, it was very therapeutic.

OK, here's the first peek at the new tank.

The changes to the original are as follows.

1. moved to a Cadlights Zen 7

2. Added NanoBox DUO

3. Canned the Rio 90 and added an MP 10

4. Changed from the AC 50 to an AC70 with InTank Media basket.

5. Using an antique jewelry cabinet for the stand.

6. Added some coral (Gorgs, Gsp, Red sponge, Zoos)

I'm going to post more pics of the tank and stand (both inside and out) when I figure out my new cell cam.

8691fec6-6d1a-4c44-8cb8-05a7ae3e699e_zps

Looks great! Upgrades FTW!

It's been a while since I posted on this thread because I've been too busy reading other peoples threads Hahah. In the last few weeks, I've added some more coral (Gorgonians, Acans, a montipora, a red sponge, and a couple more Zoa frags).

The NanoBox DUO is great. I have it set at only 46% Blue and 15% white but it seems very bright and some of the Zoas are even closing a little bit toward the end of my Midday high period.

I actually got the DUO because I'm already planning an IM Fusion 20. So in my true form, I started with a CAD Zen 5, changed to a Zen 7 and am now going to the 20 (Someone, please help me and rescue me from my continual urges to change things)..

I have to ask Y'all at this point not to say anything to my wife but I just ordered the 20 from Marine Depot yesterday and expect it Tuesday.

I probably won't make a change and set it up too soon but you never know. Anyway, I thought I'd post some recent shots I took.

This is the old jewelry cabinet I picked up for $15.00.

696d1ed1-4bfd-4230-9575-37e1ca105e79_zps

This is the inside (Notice the expert cord management)

55f2f69e-3c13-494e-9b24-29dbecc99a30_zps

cc50fc5b-e799-4d8a-8705-f5d54a6ffc3b_zps

untitled_zpsvmpc0yep.png

793faf06-753d-4edd-9955-444d3bc6495c_zps

Ha! I think I remember saying something about just going straight to a 20 back when... ha ha.

Yep, less than a month ago LOL.

aviator300

Looks great. Been thinkinh about a gorg for a while now.

Got mine from KP Aquatics. Only 10.00 apiece. Everything ive ordered from them is top quality, great price, and arrives in great shape.

Looks great! I think you'll like the IM 20, it's just the right size.

I have a feeling you're right. Hahah.

b0237780-8694-4b6b-a60b-764ab9c495e6_zps

• 1 month later...

Long time no post..I have been ordering and putting together the new IM Fusion 20 and between working, setting up the tank, transferring everything over from the Zen 7 and purchasing some new residents, I haven't had time to post. Oh, ive been following other tanks but that's about it.

Here is what I have going now and I hope to do some photos and post them soon.

IM Fusion 20

Sicce 1.0 return pump

MP 10

Cobalt Neotherm 75 w heater

IM Ghost skimmer (holding my breath on this one due to some poor reviews)

In Tank Media baskets X 2

Nano Box Duo with Bluefish mini (just 2 channel)

Fully cycled and populated Gulf Live rock

BRS Reefsaver dry rock.

Tropic Eden Reef flakes.

LIVESTOCK.

Misc Zoas

Ricordias

ACANS

Gorganzolas ooopps Gorgonians

Red tree sponge

GSP

Itzy bitzy red mushroom

3 Mexican Turbo snails

Tonga Nassarius snails

Ceriths.

Six Line Wrasse

Yellow Watchman Goby

little bitty Green Banded Goby.

Been up and running for about 10 days now....Photos to come.

OOOOPPS, almost forgot Cleopatra my very large Porcelain Crab.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here come the pics but first a little update.

The Six Line Wrasse has adjusted well and loves to swim in and out of a cave and holes in the left side rock and is eating everything (flakes, frozen cubes, small chunks of raw shrimp, everything).

I don't think the Yellow Watchman Goby or the tiny Green banded goby survived. I saw them the day I put them in and the next day, I found the YWG dead (don't know why) and haven't seen the GBG since.

The next day, I suddenly found myself at my LFS on a mission to find another YWG and was looking into a tank when is saw 2 pairs of eyes looking back at me. The eyes were attached to two of the cutest little YWGs I've ever seen and they were cuddling up together. Well, you can figure out what happened and they are now both living together in my tank (Just couldn't bring myself to separate them).

So now I have a Six Line Wrasse, 2 YWGs, a Harlequin Serpant Star, a Porcelain Crab, and maybe a little bitty Green banded Goby (hiding somewhere).

So without further ado, here are the pics (but I sure wish I had a good camera)

47bc8c00-479e-4a18-9445-d172bd4895f7_zps

e1a057fa-899f-4045-b119-2d6cf2f148f2_zps

34f4170e-5d86-4b9d-b22d-abc699a1d525_zps

59763822-809c-4293-b73b-693fe363402b_zps

ac033432-934c-4382-91e2-11b8df705b67_zps

left%20rock%20close_zpsq3oqi1oj.png

R%20ROCK%20FRONTAL_zpszyml3dyh.png

40a76bd5-9473-43ee-987d-b4e4b0fa3ee1_zps

INCOMING%20WRASSE_zpsq95nk8yh.png

bdac75f6-9305-4dad-8792-3623d2783976_zps

Archived