Cultivated Reef

BelowH2O's 10 gallon AGA

BelowH2O

Wow, that's a full tank. Nice job, though it might be time to upgrade to a 20? It's looking quite full. Healthy and happy but full.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks speed freak, and p.o.t.u.s!

ryux: yeah I still use it, mainly because I've always used it and everything has grown well. I don't know how much effect this product has, but it has some iodine and other proteins that corals like. Here's the guaranteed annalysis, as listed on the back of the bottle:

Coral-Accel: "Hard & Soft coral growth stimulator for miniature reef aquariums"

moisture (max): 99.8%

crude protein (min) 0.200%

crude fat (min) 0.050%

crude fiber (min) 0.000%

iodine (min) .1 mg/oz

absorbic acid 1 mg/oz

vitamin A 12 lU/oz

It also say its particularly designed for use when fragmenting SPS, and propagating soft corals, octocorals, and colonial anemones.

TB's acan after feeding. This acan has a very high growth rate. The 1/2 polyp is regenerating quickly, and there are four small polyps around the side.

9040DSCF0380.jpg

Found this growing on the back of the rock my yuma was on (died). Since I put it in higher light/flow area growth has really picked up. Not sure what it is though...encrusting monti? It has a glossey marble like texture, and polyps are usually fully extended.

9040DSCF0384.jpg

My SPS experiment. Corals have somewhat bleached at first but are starting to regain a brown/orange color. The orange digitata from TB has had no signs of bleaching. I moved the t-5's 1" closer to the water and spaced them out more so light is evenly distributed. Hopefully getting a powerquad soon to hold me out until MH.

9040DSCF0390.jpg

Newby-Reefer

Dude sweet tank. I am doing a 10 gallon now and i hope it will turn out half as good as yours. One question how long did it take for your tank to cycle?

tank is lookin good rory! did you end up pickin up that powerquad? that was a good deal but when those bulbs shift spectrum...things get ugly fast.

yeah...make sure to mount it...i've found that mounting on oyster shells works fantastically! plus, when you frag them, it's easy as pie!!

EPICTANKHERE
Originally posted by yoshiod9

tank is lookin good rory!  did you end up pickin up that powerquad?  that was a good deal but when those bulbs shift spectrum...things get ugly fast.

I just got a powerquad-- how do you know when this happens? should i get a replacement on standby?

Thanks everyone!

Yoshi: I'm a big fan of mounting on shells. You should find a few if you look closely at my tank.

Newby-Reefer: I let my tank cycle for two and 1/2 months before adding my first coral.

Tigah: yeah, I'm pretty amazed with the growth of that acan. It easily compares to the blastomussa merletti, which is starting to gain some mass.

Since I added the montiporas to my tank, there has been a slight light issue. 60 watts normal flourescent is keeping them alive, but not as healthy looking as I would like. My solution...tear apart an old 10 gallon lid with 15 watt flourescent, and insert the ballast and plugs into my existing hood.

So I added a second actinic, which makes the tank look alot brighter and more blue. Another benefit besides the 15 more watts, is an on off switch seperate from my other four tubes. This way I can turn on the actinic ahead of time, to create a more realistic light cycle.

The light spectrum looks really good too. Almost like vho.

rory, i still can't believe that your tank is lit by NO bulbs. lol. i've heard of using vho, pc, ho t-5's and whatever for sps but i honestly don't think i have ever SEEN someone light their tank with NO flourescent and keep sps alive.

always amazes me. :D

Thanks danny. Hopefully I'll notice a little change for the better by adding this 15 watts. The tank is noticably brighter, and the color is very close to how I want it.

Note: this mod was only added about thirty minutes ago, so I'll keep updating everyone with my results.

thanks afiser...The six-line was a very cool fish, unlike my clarkii clown that steals food when I feed the coral!

messing around with cam...shots aren't so clear because part of my tripod (right arm) got injured.

florida ricordia...

9040DSCF0401.jpg

blastomussa wellsi...

9040DSCF0399.jpg

Thanks Cesar, and Bowfront!

I'm gonna have to make a trip to the store now. Too bad rasberrys are like 3.99 for a little container. :)

Archived