Pod Your Reef

Refocusing...

moralesk214

Sorry to hear about the SPS. As you know I recently lost my first piece and it sucked lol. But with the many highs one gets from reefing defiantly beat out the lows. Those Acans are wonderful as well as the Rics. I've been thinking about getting some Rics but I stocked a lot super fast so Im waiting for a bit... I think haha. Starting a new tank!!!! Are you thinking clowns and BTA's?

Hope everything is going well! Happy reefing :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
moralesk214

So the 2nd fusion got delivered on Thursday and the BRS reef saver rock on Friday since the UPS guy forgot it on the truck on Thursday night or was just too lazy to go back down and come up with the second rock. St. Pattys day parade in White Plains yesterday delayed me getting the rock curing. Have gotten DI water to leak test and fill the 2nd fusion to start the curing process for the dry rock (which is making me was to rescape the Fusion that's up and running). Trying to rest up for water filling and doing a 2g WC on both the BC and Fusion so ranger game it is some now. Will post some new pictures later! In the meantime, any thoughts on whether I should rescape the existing Fusion? This new reef saver rock is definitely more interesting that what I've got going now (could just be me... But any and all opinions are helpful) ?

moralesk214

So I need to get a little more on top of tracking/logging my progress with the tank here, being that it was the sole purpose of me starting this build thread.

I started dosing 2-part calcium on Sunday 3/13, 2.5ml every other day.

I am still manfully doing top offs, as I plan to wait until someone gets the AquaSmart ATO micro back in stock.

As mentioned, the order from BRS has arrived, completely (thanks UPS guy for being too lazy to fully do your job)... it's wet, and I'm working on curing the rock, until the beginning of April, in which I will add live sand.

Here's some pictures of the curing set up, I have an extra pump (the one I use to mix for WCs in there...

FTS

post-89316-0-90422600-1458128757_thumb.jpg

Top Down

post-89316-0-54688100-1458129023_thumb.jpg

I will start a new build thread, once I begin the final transfer. In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions regarding the scape? This tank will host 2 clowns, anemones, frogspawn, hammer, and potentially a torch (well at least that's the plan... but of course it can change)

I am probably going to be putting in a new order to BRS, for 2 50w nemotherms, a 2nd cobalt MJ900 and potentially albs more of BRS reef saver rock, to potentially change out the rock currently in the fusion that's running (so this one) due to the lack of surface area the current rock gives me.

moralesk214

So I got a few new treats, an acan and some zoas of some sort. No ID on either of them. They have been acclimated. Will take some pictures once the lights come on. And then possibly some more tomorrow after maintenance potentially gluing some into place (or temp place... Still torn on the rock)

moralesk214

So as promised, I've gotten a few pictures of the new acan and zoa frag. Both are on plugs for now, but will work on removing them tomorrow during the weekly maintenance of WC and vacuuming the sandbed.

Both hermits have molted within this week, one taking the shell of a certh :( and the smaller of the two upgraded to the larger one's shell.

All zoas have new buds growing around their base, the candy cane has started to regenerate the parts which were previously damaged (prior to transfer) and the rics have shown noticeable growth in size.

I am going to work on finalizing my maintenance schedule throughout the rest of this month, and then post it for future reference, but the 2g/wk WC on Sunday and vacuuming the sand bed has remained a constant.

Here's a picture of the lower part of the tank, the new acans are the smaller ones without the white stripes, and the zoas are on the disk up higher (for now) which have a grayish skirt, powder blue rim, and pink center... neither had ID's so any info would help :D

post-89316-0-44816100-1458431788_thumb.jpg

Here's a current FTS (Sunny is definitely 100% more confident and not skiddish anymore, he'll eat right from the turkey baster I use to broadcast feed)

post-89316-0-71548200-1458431948_thumb.jpg

moralesk214

Working on doing the WC currently. So waters mixing, and in inspecting the tank because as I said I was thinking about placement and whether it was worth it if I'm potentially switching some rock out. And much to my surprise I realized the 1st acan is sprouting what looks like two new heads! It's on an extremely weird angle in the tank but I'll see what I can do in regards to getting a decent picture.

moralesk214

So what I thought were two new heads on once of my acans, turns out to be three. The teal/blue ric I have, now has 3 months yet isn't splitting, I've heard of this happening along with the fact that they split slowly. I might try and frag him (will do my research throughout the week) if anyone has done this and has any pointers it would be appreciated!

Acan heads are difficult to see (as I mentioned weird angle as it's facing the corner)

post-89316-0-43456900-1458684139_thumb.jpg

moralesk214

This morning I woke up to an email from MarineDepot saying they had the Smart ATO micro back in stock. Order has been placed for 2... Now it's the waiting game (which you can't get away from in this hobby)... ?

moralesk214

Package from MarineDepot was delivered containing the AquaSmart ATO micros (2), however I'm still at work. It's been a long day with several candidates interviewing, new start negotiations, and a few rejections ? (Least favorite part of the job...) however I'm 'off' yes I use this term very lightly at 5, and have to do some errands before going home. Like I said it's been a rather long day but I'm excited for the new goodies! Will do my best to snag pictures, prior to installing, if I can contain my excitement.

moralesk214

WC day with a few invert additions. A second Pom-pom crab and two astria snails to try and get a handle on the little bit of algae I typically get amongst the corners I can't get to easily, even with using a toothbrush. I'm thinking long term for both tanks I will have (2nd fusion has about 13lbs of dry rock curing with the addition of 5lbs of lives and to be added later). I'm torn. After receiving the BRS reef saver rock I have become unhappy with my scape in this tank. And am debating order about 8lbs of additional rock to cure. On that note, I'm looking for a skimmer. I've heard mixed reviews about the IM skimmer, does anyone have suggestions. I might transfer sunny into the second tank with the two clowns that have been in the BC for about a year. Any suggestions on the skimmer would be greatly appreciate. As each tank currently running has been maintained solely by a 2g WC every Sunday. Thanks guys!

The only non airstone skimmer that fits in the chamber is the IM desktop skimmer. Although I have seen someone use the Aquamaxx HOB I believe so it is entirely up to you.

moralesk214

So as I stated last week, the arrival of my order from Marine Depot came in, with 2 Aqua Smart ATO micros. I finally got around to installing it on Sunday, during water change/maintenance. I bought 2 cereal 1.5g containers for the reservoir as they fit nicely behind the tank without being visible, besides for the airline tubing going into the back chambers. The sensor is places into the 3rd chamber, with the return pump, and I have the airline tubing feeding into the second chamber for the time being. As I mentioned previously, I plan on adding a skimmer to the tank which has officially started the cycle - so for that tank it will most likely need to feed into the 3rd chamber. I forgot all about the pictures until it was set up, but I've gotten a few of how it is set up within this tank:

post-89316-0-62117900-1459853031_thumb.jpg

post-89316-0-22009300-1459853336_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
moralesk214

It's been awhile. I've stayed patient due to the cycling of the 2nd fusion to come. As I have an extra piece of rock cycling with the new tank for this on I did some rock scaping today with the WC to make some room for it. I also stopped by my LFS for a 2nd MJ900, and well another local reefer brought in a huge green birdsnest colony with was in his 90g display. So of course I ended up going home with a piece ?. Pictures will follow soon as it's acclimating on the bottom to be slowly raised and everything else is acclimating to its (hopefully soon to be) new placement as they aren't glued.

Could use some help with a fish list, as I believe I will be putting sunny in with the two clowns as he's unfortunately rather territorial and should hold his own with the two clowns and didn't like the addition of the juvenile six line (lasted a day before return about a week ago)... So any suggestions are welcome!!

moralesk214

So I managed to snap a few pictures prior to feeding this morning.

My maintenance schedule: weekly 2g water changes mixed with distilled and reef crystals, every last weekend of the month I do 3g changing chemo pure blue and cleaning back chambers. ** I do change filter floss typically Sunday and Wednesday and clean the glass at the same time, does anyone else struggle with getting the corners clean like I do?

Feeding schedule: Monday and Thursday, broadcast a portion of a cube of frozen brine or mysis, and Tuesday and Friday I use reef roids and benepets powder, also broadcasting

I do dose 2-part Ca Tues, Thurs, and Sat 2.5ml

As I mentioned, I grabbed a frag of a green thin branched birdsnest, at least for now, as it was a colony in a low flow tank. And did a part of the rescape as well during WC.

Some photos of my new birdsnest

post-89316-0-01929500-1461234522_thumb.jpg

post-89316-0-62637700-1461234549_thumb.jpg

moralesk214

will be slowly raising the birdsnest, over the next two weeks. It's polls are fully extended, and am quite surprised as within 24hrs it had been in 3 different systems, and been reluctantly fragged by my LFS as they wanted to keep it as a colon (what a little convincing and a smile can do!)

I found this little guy this morning, which I am quite happy about considering the rock used was all dry rock, and I dip my corals...

post-89316-0-00136200-1461320411_thumb.jpg

Temporary FTS (will be adding an additional piece of rock this weekend)

post-89316-0-42154000-1461320457_thumb.jpg

One of the PomPom Crabs has always liked to hang around my zoas

post-89316-0-76274400-1461320584_thumb.jpg

moralesk214

So I finished the rock reshaping yesterday. Typically tank maintenance is today, but I need to attend a funeral, so needless to say I got it all done yesterday. I ended up moving the acan down, as it started to loose the green and orange coloring, turning all red. Will need to work out placement for both acans and the birdsnest, as they are still pending placement. I also picked up a some new zoas frags from my LFS as I needed some glue and putty and ended up going, who can leave with solely what they go in for?

New FTS

post-89316-0-80715400-1461498960_thumb.jpg

New Zoas

post-89316-0-11703900-1461499077_thumb.jpg

moralesk214

So I couldn't get all the pictures in the last post, but here are a few more.

New Zoas 2, the back has some great blue coloring as well, but unfortunately it's a difficult angle

post-89316-0-98969200-1461499436_thumb.jpg

Here an awkward picture of the back few heads

post-89316-0-42989900-1461499544_thumb.jpg

And a picture of the rics for fun!

post-89316-0-81387200-1461499620_thumb.jpg

I'd worked to de-glue and replace many of the pieces, so some of the zoas heads have been slow to reopen, so not positive how they will end up but here's to hope for the next 24hrs as this is typically the time period I'm able to judge them on within my tank.

• 1 month later...
moralesk214

Just a Quick Update:

I know it has been awhile since I've posted anything, but I was getting the second tank wet and cycled, will be starting a build thread for that tank as well. The birdsnest has browned out a little since I have gotten it, and am working to correct it, although it has grown since and still has good PE. The original acan I bought is coloring up nicely, as it's displaying purple, green, yellow, and orange huges on top of the red and white which it originally displayed. So it's leading me to believe it is a rainbow acan! Will be updating with pictures this weekend.

** also the micro ATO has been working great and am absolutely in love with it!!

• 2 weeks later...
moralesk214

So the second fusion has cycled, and once i finish this post, i will begin creating a thread for that tank as well. I know it has been awhile, but i've been trying to keep just to basic maintenance while the other tank cycled, as it gave me the ability to patiently wait it out.

As I mentioned, the green birdsnest is browned out but is still maintaining the PE it always displayed. The now deemed rainbow acan has two additional heads growing in on the back, so it's awkward to get a good shot. I am working on reconstructing the layout, a little at a time, so nothing is in it's permanent place at this point. Sunny will be getting transferred to the secondary fusion (hopefully later today), and i'm debating going fishless at this point, but we will see...

I did grab two acro frags yesterday at my LFS, but none have names that I know of, but i got both for $30!

New Acro (anyone who has an ID, please share!)

post-89316-0-00455700-1465125143_thumb.jpg

New Acro #2 (any IDs, welcome!)

post-89316-0-61244400-1465125447_thumb.jpg

moralesk214

So the birdsnest although browned out compared to when I first got it is definitely growing!

New Afros are settled in and displaying great PE.

Sunny has officially been transferred to my second fusion, along with the male clown.

At the end of this month I plan on transferring over my final fish, the female clown. Until next month I will be allowing everything to settle in between the two tanks and beginning to plan for a little rescape as I'm not loving the highest rock (the one with my candy cane).

• 3 weeks later...
moralesk214

It's been almost 2 weeks since Sunny was removed. (Unfortunately I don't think he made it as I stated in the other thread ?)

All corals are going great. The birdsnest, although it's lost it's color, is showing new growth. The unknown acros (I believe) are still showing good PE. And the acans are showing grown!

After everything is settled in the new fusion, I will be looking to rescape the rock work in this tank to focus more so on LPS & SPS, only maintaining the zoas and transferring the rics over.

Looks like your tank is setting up nicely!

Sorry to hear about sunny. :(

Trust me we all lose fish, sometimes for no reason what so ever.

If you want your corals to colour up try upping the light a little bit.

Also I use red sea reef energy as a feeding supplement, and my corals have been looking better every day. Maybe give it a try?

moralesk214

Thanks! Been going slow. I have recently played with lighting to up UV, V, DB, B to 83% from 80, G and DR are at 40%, and CW is at 30%.

Everything else has great color, including the rainbow acan which are known for changing/loosing color. So although I'm not happy about the color loss of the birdsnest due to its grown and PE, I'm not all too worried.

Unfortunately last night I notice a rusty colored flat worm, so will be running to my LFS for some flat worm exit which I will use with WCs and siphoning to nip it before it gets out of hand. While I'm there, I'm totally going to look into some coral foods for the color boost though! Thanks.

• 1 month later...
moralesk214

I know it's been awhile. I recently had a nitrate spike and ended up losing my SPS (birdsnest & acros) ? I love been focusing on getting the sand bed cleaner through the weekly water changes. Today I did go out on a limb and got 2 new acan frags. I also moved the rics to my other tank and moved a few things around to open up the sand bed more for easier access while cleaning. I will post a current FTS once the lights come on.

Archived