Pod Your Reef

Lizzie's Post Grad 20L

Lizzie1324

Thanks! I'll need to invest in some. And yeah parks and rec is the best!!!! Lol. It was the first Netflix binge watching my boyfriend and I did. How fitting that Ron the fish now has two ex wives named Tammy. I bet the next clown will love if I name it Leslie!!! Lol

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the clownfish. I'm guessing since none of your other fish are sick that its not a water quality issue or a transmittable disease. That means either the clown had some sort of internal parasite or some other type of non-contagious health issue or maybe the other clown bullied it to death. Unfortunately, clowns pairing up can be really mean and rough until they actually pair. My female clown is a little beast and I'm pretty sure she killed the first clown I tried to pair her with. At the time, both clowns were tiny juveniles so they were genderless at that point. I ended up getting a replacement clown that was about twice the size of my remaining clown and she beat his up to the point that for weeks I kept thinking he would die. He was a wreck and was so close to death, but finally, the other clown accepted him and he was able to heal up and is now super healthy. Now they're a happy couple. Funny enough, that second clown hasn't grown much at all, but the spunky one has grown a ton so that now shes way bigger than him and I'm sure she's the female.

(currently a grad student at Auburn University...WDE)

RTR!

tank looks good. the big lfs in mobile had some awesome stuff last time i was there about 6months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend did a big water change and moved the filter to the short side of the tank and I love it! May still need to adjust the flow a little, but I'm letting sit for a while to see how everything likes it!

image_zpscwbpkuwc.jpeg

image_zpsusnamhbz.jpeg

image_zps03iijb27.jpeg

image_zpswzfb9v2j.jpeg

I was hoping to go to Atlanta this weekend to look for some more goodies, but I have to make a trip back to Texas, so no more goodies yet! Haha....can't wait to keep adding!

gulfsurfer101

I absolutely abhor Atlanta! Nothing good ever happened to me there and too many people always trying to sell me rock! No I'm good! I'd be like you got any zoas, no how about any sps! Oh you sold your last one to the guy before me huh! Ok fine I'll just take some gsp but all I got is five bucks on it though! Back to the tank it's coming along nicely! Frags look good!

Last weekend did a big water change and moved the filter to the short side of the tank and I love it! May still need to adjust the flow a little, but I'm letting sit for a while to see how everything likes it!

image_zpscwbpkuwc.jpeg

image_zpsusnamhbz.jpeg

image_zps03iijb27.jpeg

image_zpswzfb9v2j.jpeg

I was hoping to go to Atlanta this weekend to look for some more goodies, but I have to make a trip back to Texas, so no more goodies yet! Haha....can't wait to keep adding!

Everything looks great! How did you perch your light?

Thanks y'all! Lol yeah I'm learning that outside of Texas the lf stores are quite different! But then again I bought my rsm from one, so he always gave me good deals since I had dropped so much cash at his place! Lol. And I totally ghetto rigged the light :P

I cut into the plastic on the filter where I wanted it to sit, so it slides right over the bar. The light sits slightly off center now, but I love this so much more! Also, I picked up a mis bar clown from pet I I had my eye on last week. If it could survive there and is still a veracious swimmer and eater, I have high hopes!! Leslie is the one...I can feel it! Hahaha...pics will come later! Currently on hour two of acclimating....I'm not taking any risks!

I love the filter on the short side too. It opens up the tank area plus it is great viewing all the way through. Sorry about the clown but everything else looks good.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update!

Nothing exciting is happening with the tank...research for school has sped up so tank purchases and fiddling has slowed down! lol. I did pick up a green stylo frag a couple weeks ago and it is looking good. My zoas have been a little finicky, but I moved them around some and they are doing better...they were stretching for the light where I had them!

Currently fighting the red slime algae, which is always a struggle, but I'm just taking it slow since I'm in no rush to add lots of new things. Water changes and some Dr. Tims are slowly hacking away at it! As well as target feeding my clowns(who are still BOTH alive and well) to eliminate excess food hanging around. Just one of those young tank phases I'm hoping.

• 2 months later...

Well y'all I think I underestimated cutting my tank size in half since my last one. Or I have been out of the game too long! Things have been going all kinds of wrong in the tank.

First the red slime algae, then I got that under control. Then all of the sudden my corals looked awful, and the small clown died over night! Realized it was the heater on the fritz. Went out replaced it, things didn't get better. Tested, and I had detectable ammonia. So I tried everything I new to do! Reduced feeding, water changes everyday (I mean like every day for three weeks) added ammonia reducing filter pad to my chamber, even tried adding in beneficial bacteria hoping to give them a boost to get to nitrifying.

This has been going on for like 2 months, and things never got better. I thought maybe it was dkh, because it was a little low, so I tried dosing for a month, didn't help. All my other levels are good!!!

I'm so sad at this point. Now the slime is back, I have gha taking root, and all my corals except Zoas and Xenia and a leather are gone. And both the clowns. I've got cuc. Zoas won't open. Ugh!!! I am so mad at myself for not being able to figure it out. So this is my last effort here. I thought about going to petco to make some kind of final rally and figure something out, but aside from just ordering better equipment, maybe a protein skimmer? Or a sump? Bigger tank? Idk. At a loss here!

I mix it at home. I use rodi water! I haven't been doing daily in a couple weeks because I was so frustrated. I did about 40% when this all started, then they were smaller. About 20%.

I'm going to do a big one today. Like 75% and see if I can get some results with that.

Cencalfishguy56

I mix it at home. I use rodi water! I haven't been doing daily in a couple weeks because I was so frustrated. I did about 40% when this all started, then they were smaller. About 20%.

I'm going to do a big one today. Like 75% and see if I can get some results with that.

i say start over with dry rock and dry sand, cycle with ammonia chloride in the bottle and a denitrifying bacteria! Actually I bought the petsmart Brand for my QT tank and I kid you not cycles it in 3 days added fish a day later and they were perfectly fine!

I changed 12 gallons, and my tank only holds about 14-15! I also did a H2O2 dip on the gha rocks. I know it'll cause die off, but I'm prepped to do another big water change, and things couldn't get worse! Lol. Figured I'd do it while I had the water drained! I'm wondering if I introduced something from a lfs....this started right after I made a big purchase at one in Atlanta.

Ahh....se la vie!!!

Can only move forward and gain experience!

Tested this am....still got ammonia!!! I don't understand!

I'm taking a sample in to get tested today...maybe something I don't test for will show up!

Hi Lizzie! I am just catching up after my motorcycle roadtrip. Sorry to hear that the tank is struggling a bit. I hope it turns around soon for ya.

Did a small water change this am and tested ammonia, and it showed zero!! For the first time in like two months lol. 3 days ago o started using Kordon AmQuel Plus...saw it has some mixed reviews and could cause ph drops, but figured I'd try it.

Hopefully this is the start of a new beginning. So far my survivors include a bta, Zoas, some sad looking Xenia, and a neon green leather. Oh and a small hitchhiker clam. And my cuc.

Archived