Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lizzie's Post Grad 20L

Lizzie1324

I like the way your tank is looking! I am so sorry about the clownfish but sometimes that happens and there is just nothing you can do. I will be excited to watch as you acquire more coral.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks y'all! Yeah I'm glad to know it wasn't me, but still a shame to watch the little clowny suffer!

Looking good! That rock will fill out nicely covered in zoas!

Thanks! I just read through my old thread a bit to show Matt what stuff looks like grown out and man it made me miss it! So glad to have my feet back in. I also totally forgot that we had traded stuff back in the day! Oh memories! Haha. :P

gulfsurfer101

Thanks y'all! Yeah I'm glad to know it wasn't me, but still a shame to watch the little clowny suffer!

Thanks! I just read through my old thread a bit to show Matt what stuff looks like grown out and man it made me miss it! So glad to have my feet back in. I also totally forgot that we had traded stuff back in the day! Oh memories! Haha. :P

I'm like an elephant! I never forget who I got a past with on here. That's why I was so happy to see you back. I hope your new tank does well. I got a few frags ready for when your ready to trade again lol.
gulfsurfer101

No rush! I'm fixing to build back my 75g so I'm fixing to have a lot of room for coral to grow out before I go around fragging everything again!

Well the casualty trip to the not-so-local fish store was a failure. Definitely didn't think about bringing a water sample, and the girl was really uncooperative anyway. She was condescending and when I tried to explain to her about the fish swimming flat towards the surface since I bought him (48 hours ago mind you) she looked at me and said "fish swim in all directions"....gee thanks.

I know that they have to deal with people who know nothing about saltwater, but when I've spent 400 bucks at your store, take the time to hear me out when I say I test my levels and have done this before. Don't preach about needing to use proper equipment and dosing systems....it sounded like a set up for using their water.

So needless to say I won't be driving an hour to "hope that my water is perfect and then we could start to talk about store credit". I'm in the market for a good lfs again! And a new clown.....

#endrant

Well the casualty trip to the not-so-local fish store was a failure. Definitely didn't think about bringing a water sample, and the girl was really uncooperative anyway. She was condescending and when I tried to explain to her about the fish swimming flat towards the surface since I bought him (48 hours ago mind you) she looked at me and said "fish swim in all directions"....gee thanks.

I know that they have to deal with people who know nothing about saltwater, but when I've spent 400 bucks at your store, take the time to hear me out when I say I test my levels and have done this before. Don't preach about needing to use proper equipment and dosing systems....it sounded like a set up for using their water.

So needless to say I won't be driving an hour to "hope that my water is perfect and then we could start to talk about store credit". I'm in the market for a good lfs again! And a new clown.....

#endrant

Sorry to hear they would not work with you. It is so hard to find a good salt water store. I have a store in Atlanta I will not be going back to. They will lie to you to try to get you to buy anything. Dosent matter what system you say you have, they say the fish or critter will do great. I dont trust them after over hearing them stear people wrong so many times. Hope you find just the right replacment clown! Tank is looking great. Love your acan too!

Sorry to hear they would not work with you. It is so hard to find a good salt water store. I have a store in Atlanta I will not be going back to. They will lie to you to try to get you to buy anything. Dosent matter what system you say you have, they say the fish or critter will do great. I dont trust them after over hearing them stear people wrong so many times. Hope you find just the right replacment clown! Tank is looking great. Love your acan too!

Thank you! I was eyeing one today before I left that store. Like my boyfriend said, it's a shame that they lost business over a 25 dollar fish because we probably would have spent over 100 today! I understand why many don't have a saltwater return policy, but if she had just been polite instead of thinking I was an idiot I would have left with some new corals! But se la vie! There are always more fish in the sea ;)

Edit: Let me know of some of your favorite atlanta stores if you have some winners! Probably won't make the treck for a little while, but it would be good to know!

Thank you! I was eyeing one today before I left that store. Like my boyfriend said, it's a shame that they lost business over a 25 dollar fish because we probably would have spent over 100 today! I understand why many don't have a saltwater return policy, but if she had just been polite instead of thinking I was an idiot I would have left with some new corals! But se la vie! There are always more fish in the sea ;)

Edit: Let me know of some of your favorite atlanta stores if you have some winners! Probably won't make the treck for a little while, but it would be good to know!

Premier Aquatics is one of the best around. Reasonable prices and very helpful and kind staff. They give us pretty reasonable amounts for my frags and then store credit. They even take pulsing xenia frags. EVERY time I buy more than one coral or critter they give me a deal and take some off. They also always have the things I need. Like two part and Chem Pure Elite. They always have some nice frags too. It is probebly my favorite store. I dont venture down into the city but I bet there are some good ones there. Optimum Aquarium has a lot of nice fish and some coral. They often have buy one get one half off sales on their corals. Just know your stuff when you go in there. :)

Thank you! Yes, I went to optimum for my first two Zoa frags and it was nice! That's where I saw that awesome seahorse tank! I'll have to check out the other one.

Got some goodies today!!! Handful of new frags and Tammy 2 the new clown. Fingers crossed all goes well, will post pics later :)

Looking forward to seeing them!

Okay y'all so I'm starting to think I have a clownfish curse...

Sorry I haven't posted pics! My phone ones turn out pretty crappy, and my boyfriend should be getting a sweet new camera for his research, so I can steal it to take pics of my tank. Which is clearly more important. ;)

Everything has been going fine since I got the new stuff, all the frags look great and have started to color up. My older petco acan has even started adding some sweet green coloration and is big fat and happy.

Last night I was watching the tank, and I got a bad feeling about Tammy 2. She just looked kind of off, but k thought I was being paranoid since the other clown died. Then today, I woke up and Matt was over at the tank adjusting one of the power heads and said that Tammy was laying on the bottom of the tank breathing really fast. So I researched every possibility, checked all my levels, etc. All other livestock, including the other clown, are healthy and fabulous.

Ammonia: 0

Dkh: 8

SG: 1.023

Temp: stable 79 degrees

Nitrate: a little higher than normal at around 8 ppm.

Phosphate: 0

I did a 2 gallon wc yesterday (what I do weekly....10%), and those numbers were the test prior to the water change, so I went and test the water I use to mix. Nitrate was zero. I try not to disturb too much when doing my wc by pouring new water into the filter canister.

So we went into town to get an air stone. That's the only other thing I could think of. I always have one power head aimed at the top of the water. That and the hob filter should be enough air flow for oxygen levels to be fine, right? Also picked up some more water and am currently adding back in new water from a three gallon change.

That means 25% of the water has been changed in the last 24 hours. Hopefully this works.

Tammy 2 is fighting to hang on!! I hope I can get this sorted. The only other possibility I could think of was I acclimated her poorly, but would this occur a week after she was added? I swear this tank is making me feel like I newb all over again!

Sorry to hear of your fish issue. Seems odd that one fish is effected and not the other. If all your levels are good than I would think it was an issue with that particular fish. Because it was new was it getting picked on a bit by the other one? Clowns can get a bit territorial when one dies and you ad another?

My hubby is taking me to Marietta tomorrow to go coral shopping (had a B-day last week) at Premium and I might drop by Optimum. So excited!

Oooh I'm jealous!!! I was planning on going into atl today to get some new coral but then I got caught up trying to save Tammy! Next week though....I'm there! Lol.

And yeah that's what I keep thinking. The other clown is just dandy. The new one was about twice his size. And a couple times he had acted like he was going to chase the little one, but I never saw anything that alerted me to either one being picked on. So far no improvements. :/

Oooh I'm jealous!!! I was planning on going into atl today to get some new coral but then I got caught up trying to save Tammy! Next week though....I'm there! Lol.

And yeah that's what I keep thinking. The other clown is just dandy. The new one was about twice his size. And a couple times he had acted like he was going to chase the little one, but I never saw anything that alerted me to either one being picked on. So far no improvements. :/

Hope she pulls thru for you. :)

Well Tammy didn't make it. :( idk what's going on! Maybe it was the fish. Fingers crossed its nothing with my tank. On that note....what's the word on single clowns? I know they're happier in a pair, but I'm starting to think this one is destined to be a lone wolf.....

Update: tested nitrate again after 3 gallon wc and it was down to less than 5 but not quite zero which is where it has been sitting since I added the fish!

So sorry about the loss of your fish. Sigh. Sometimes we just never know why one does better than another. I still say if your other one is doing well it must have been something with that particular fish.

Thanks! Yeah..I'm kind of sad. In my old tank the only fish I ever lost was a mandarin that I couldn't get to eat. Never anything like a clown! Haven't quite decided if I'm going to get another one and hope third times a charm, or just leave Ron to rule the roost. We'll see! Maybe a B&W!

Awesome tank! I love the 20L setup.

Bummer about your clownfishes...

My guess is the culprit is either acclimation related or possibly parasitic in nature. Since you're driving a ways have you thought about transporting in a cooler to help maintain temp longer?

Are you buying captive raised clownfish? Are there any other symptoms you noticed other than unable to swim normally and rapid breathing? It's so weird that the one clown "Ron" hasn't been affected...

Finally, have you thought about bumping the tank out from the wall a little bit and putting the AC filter on the end of the tank against the wall? Would free up some viewing! I recall you mentioned possibly taking it out sometime, but it's a good place to keep mechanical and chemical filtration.

Awesome tank! I love the 20L setup.

Bummer about your clownfishes...

My guess is the culprit is either acclimation related or possibly parasitic in nature. Since you're driving a ways have you thought about transporting in a cooler to help maintain temp longer?

Are you buying captive raised clownfish? Are there any other symptoms you noticed other than unable to swim normally and rapid breathing? It's so weird that the one clown "Ron" hasn't been affected...

Finally, have you thought about bumping the tank out from the wall a little bit and putting the AC filter on the end of the tank against the wall? Would free up some viewing! I recall you mentioned possibly taking it out sometime, but it's a good place to keep mechanical and chemical filtration.

Thanks for the reply!

Acclimation was my only guess as well. And no! I kept looking for some sign of disease or parasite as you said. But just the odd swimming. The first one I drove, but the second was ordered online. The box didn't feel too warm and I opened it as soon as it arrived! I just thought it was odd that this one appeared healthy until yesterday. The first Tammy looked off from purchase...from a LFS who I have recently heard is going under. The second one was from Exotic Reefs online. They were very friendly through purchase and their corals are great quality. All have been captive bred!

I bought some tubing today so I can drip acclimate from now on. I'm hesitant to try again, but I also really want a clown pair!

As for the filter, I have upgraded to the 70 and decided to keep it, and maybe make a little fuge in the empty chamber, And yes! I want to move it to the side, but I'm not sure how to get my light to fit if I do.

Things have been busy down here on the plains! But it's time for a few photos. I was going to share the ones of Tammy 2, a very pretty DaVinci clown from Exotic Reefs, but since she has left Ron a single man once more, I'll stick to a few others.

I can't get a good pic of the acan I got from petco that has started to really color up...like I said, waiting on that camera the boyfriend will get for his plant research :naughtydance:

But here are the iPhone pics anyway!

image_zpseeqzxj7m.jpeg

View from the kitchen! Which will hopefully change if I can figure out how to set my light with the filter on the edge...

image_zpsw7zphxqg.jpeg

Ron..the lone wolf! Or as Matt calls "The Badass" and my itty-bitty-purple hammer

image_zpsbtie5yrb.jpeg

Sal the Shrimp in his favorite spot, and a hitchhiker stomatella!

image_zpsoofgnr2i.jpeg

Some washed out xenia, which is my boyfriends favorite coral...I too love the movement!

image_zpsy8yap8p2.jpeg

FTS from the bar side. You can see the petco acan in the center, and the new one on the far left )ignore the frag plug that I epoxied down and cant get off...lol)

Zoa island is on the right. I have some eagle eyes, RDE's, Whammin' Watermelon, unidentified teal centered ones with a cream colored mouth, blue eyed girls. something watermelon?? (bigger with pink center and green tips..not whammin lol), Horizons, and an unidentified freebie that is basically brown with an orange ring around the mouth. Hopefully can get better ID when I get the new camera.

Thanks for stopping by y'all! :wub:

Parks and Recreation :wub:.

Love the FTS!!!! Ron is a cutie :).

Some coral cutters (bone cutters) could get that stuck plug right off if it bothers you enough. I use my coral cutters for lots of things. They are a good investment :).

Archived