SaltCritters.com

Pair of t5's not working on ati retro

davy jones

Hey guys, so I've had my retro since the end of September and so far it's been great but today I shut off all the lights for about 10 minutes (led's and t5's) and when I turned everything back only 2 of the T5 bulbs turn on.

I've done a little troubleshooting and so far I can't seem to fix it. Now at this point I think it is the ballast being bad but I'm not sure why that would be since I've only had it for a few months.

I've swapped bulbs, tested new bulbs, checked the connections in the "driver box" took the light apart and checked wires and connections to the ballasts and the place you put the bulb in and it all seems fine, is there anything else I can look at or is it safe to say the ballast just died?

I sent Dave an email as well but I figured I'd check with you guys as well

Thanks!

Swap ballast,the one in question and the one working. If the lights come on on the faulty side with the known working ballast i think you could say the ballast is toast. See if it under warranty.

gulfsurfer101

Or you can take your electrical meter and test ohm on your ballast from the bulb side. If you have an open circuit then something has blown inside your ballast and will need replacement!

gulfsurfer101

I just replaced my blown wavepoint 2 bulb ballast with a Robertson 4 bulb ballast. Found it for 24 bucks shipped on ebay! Bulbs are all firing brighter than what they did before. Check out that brand or 1000bulbs.com for replacement ballasts pretty cheap that get the job done!

I didn't swap the ballasts yet, I put the light back together and hung it so the tank had light. I don't have an ohm meter but bulk reef supply has ati ballasts for $25 so I might just order one.. I'll try swapping ballasts tomorrow maybe if I have time. The light is still plenty powerful on led alone so I'll have time to troubleshoot stuff.

I didn't swap the ballasts yet, I put the light back together and hung it so the tank had light. I don't have an ohm meter but bulk reef supply has ati ballasts for $25 so I might just order one.. I'll try swapping ballasts tomorrow maybe if I have time. The light is still plenty powerful on led alone so I'll have time to troubleshoot stuff.

Sent an email back. If it is a ballast, let me know I have tons.

Still really strange for you to unplug and then it stop. Can you double check the black box with the AC connection?

-Dave

JavaJacketOC

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't solve it :(

Try changing the power cord before you consider changing the ballast. I had this happen on a MaxSpect razor and a new power cord was the solution.

So i came home yesterday to all the t5's on and running. Nothing changed, and nothing was tinkered with. But they were all on when i got home. Very strange.

Archived