Pod Your Reef

Bach's Breeder

Thatoneomahaguy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thatoneomahaguy

My Oceanrevive LED is ordered! They should be here mid-next week sometime. Tonight I will finish filling the tank and make sure there are no leaks in the plumbing. I gotta admin, Im pretty excited for such a menial task. #nerdthings

Thatoneomahaguy

Well tank is all set up and running! It looks great! I'm thrilled about the flow the in the refugium and its very quiet! Im a little bummed about the flow though. I had to turn down the pump because it wasn't draining fast enough. I have two 1'' drainks for the one 3/4 inch return. Can I just grab a drill bit or grinder and bore out the 90 degree elbows in the display to let in more water? Also the tank was drilled just a hair to high so the water line is a little to close to the rim for me. I think I might try and remove enough water so that I can hold a tupperware dish under neath the elbow so I can sand them down a little bit. Even half inch more would be amazing. Thats what she said.

post-89817-0-56186600-1452829120_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-74507800-1452829173_thumb.jpg

Well tank is all set up and running! It looks great! I'm thrilled about the flow the in the refugium and its very quiet! Im a little bummed about the flow though. I had to turn down the pump because it wasn't draining fast enough. I have two 1'' drainks for the one 3/4 inch return. Can I just grab a drill bit or grinder and bore out the 90 degree elbows in the display to let in more water? Also the tank was drilled just a hair to high so the water line is a little to close to the rim for me. I think I might try and remove enough water so that I can hold a tupperware dish under neath the elbow so I can sand them down a little bit. Even half inch more would be amazing. Thats what she said.

Nice looking setup! I am a dummy when it comes to plumbing so I am no help in that department :) But it looks really nice!

Thatoneomahaguy

Nice looking setup! I am a dummy when it comes to plumbing so I am no help in that department :) But it looks really nice!

Thank you! So sweet! Obviously that is just a little seed rock. My actual aquascape should be WAY better than that! Like at least two, yes TWO, times as good!

Thatoneomahaguy

So I'm thinking my tank should be ready for a fish or two next week. Any suggestions for a good hardy fish to start off with? Not too positive about stocking plans so something that gets along with pretty much everything. The only other fish Im sure that I want is a black ice clown and a goby to go with a pistol shrimp. All thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Thatoneomahaguy

Token Clownfish. :flower:

Thanks! They are pretty badass! So I have some pics I want to post but the only camera I have is my iPhone 6. It normally takes great pics but its struggling with the lighting. Any apps or tricks that work when using the camera on your phone? Also the Ocean Revive light is sweet! I added some more dry rock so I can start playing with aquascapes and added a small ball of chaeto. But any ways... camera help.. Go!

Thanks! They are pretty badass! So I have some pics I want to post but the only camera I have is my iPhone 6. It normally takes great pics but its struggling with the lighting. Any apps or tricks that work when using the camera on your phone? Also the Ocean Revive light is sweet! I added some more dry rock so I can start playing with aquascapes and added a small ball of chaeto. But any ways... camera help.. Go!

Turn off the blue channel on your light when taking pictures I believe

Thatoneomahaguy

Turn off the blue channel on your light when taking pictures I believe

Oh you're right! I think I've seen that too. Thanks I will definitely try that.

Thatoneomahaguy

Here's a couple pics. Nothing amazing. Ignore the pvc pipes that I'm using for the LED at the moment. Still working on that in my head... I downloaded an app called VSO that took better pics and let my different spots of the exposure and focus. I also turned the blues down all the way. Worked pretty well but Im still not super thrilled about the pictures. Uploading them was not as direct as I would have liked either. They upload to a site with image extensions that are compatible with nano-reef. And it doesn't save to the camera roll. Silly but I'll figure something out

post-89817-0-01047600-1453349229_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-22742200-1453349243_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-97580600-1453349249_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-71974400-1453349256_thumb.jpg

Thatoneomahaguy

As I was checking on the tank today I found a small aiptasia peaking out of the live rock seeding the tank! I havent even figured out stocking plans and already I have pests. Good news is I only found one so I simply re-positioned the rock so that this little turd is sticking out of the water. If he dries out for a few days is that going to take care of him or should I take other measures?

Thatoneomahaguy

I pulled the rock out that had the aiptasia on it and dropped a few drops of vinegar on it. It shriveled up immediately. I left the rock out for a bit hoping to dry off/ drip off any extra vinegar. After about 20 minutes I ran a little RO/DI water over the area and put it back in the tank. I think I am going to go get a few snails or crabs today. Ive been cycling for about a week and half now with 10 lbs of live rock as seed for the other dry rock I picked up. I wanted to get a pistol shrimp and goby pair but neither of the stores I like have a tiger pistol so I guess Ill have to wait on the shrimp.

Thatoneomahaguy

So I may have jumped the gun a little bit but I went and got my clean up crew. Two turbos, two nassarius, and 4 hermits. I also caved and got a blue leg pistol shrimp and diamond goby. I wanted to add a fish to start adding ammonia to help with the cycle. Everything is look good so far! One of the turbos has two or three tiny feather duster looking guys on its shell. I'll get some pics later. The very first morning I would up to what I thought was a dead pistol shrimp but it had just molted overnight. Ill take that as a good sign! Also the goby was eating like a champ so I'm thinking everything should be good to go.

24249947739_fca4e50cb8_b.jpg

Pistol shrimp molt

24249919669_5bde853d21_b.jpg

The new blue leg pistol

23990911853_1ac72ae8c6_b.jpg

Diamond Goby

Simulated Fish

Looks like it is really going along nicely! Keep the updates coming! I don't think you jumped the gun on the livestock. They are eating so that's a good sign. Goby pistol is a great choice, I definitely want a pair.

Did you end up trimming down your overflow?

OH also look into getting a gel filter to place over your phone's lens. It will filter the light for much better photos and they are only a few bucks.

Thatoneomahaguy

Looks like it is really going along nicely! Keep the updates coming! I don't think you jumped the gun on the livestock. They are eating so that's a good sign. Goby pistol is a great choice, I definitely want a pair.

Did you end up trimming down your overflow?

OH also look into getting a gel filter to place over your phone's lens. It will filter the light for much better photos and they are only a few bucks.

Thanks for the compliment! Things are going well so far. I was able to shave the overflows down a little bit. I switched strainers to this one

1-inch-slip-low-profile-strainer-150x150

Ultimately I am not getting flow I want without sacrificing noise so I think I am going to get a jebao rw-4 or rw-8. The controllable options and extra flow for not a massive size or cost seem like a no brainer. I love at some lenses that basically rubber band on the your iphone but I think the ones i saw were like $100. Ill check out the ones you mentioned. I finally get the app working better and signed up for a flickr account so I'm adding actual pictures instead of thumbnails lol.

Oh! Another 40B! :) I'll be following along. I love new builds. Looks great so far!

Thank you! You are going to have to stop setting up tanks or you will with run out of space in your sig for your TOTM threads! Amazing work!

I need to stop setting up tanks so that my wallet doesn't cry :lol: Thank you though! Keep up the good work over the next four years and your signature will look the same!

If you're looking for iPhone camera lenses, Amazon sells some super cheap kits (like under $20) that are actually halfway decent and just pop onto the top of your phone. I have a set that has a fisheye lens, macro lens, and wide angle lens.

Simulated Fish

Thanks for the compliment! Things are going well so far. I was able to shave the overflows down a little bit. I switched strainers to this one

1-inch-slip-low-profile-strainer-150x150

Ultimately I am not getting flow I want without sacrificing noise so I think I am going to get a jebao rw-4 or rw-8. The controllable options and extra flow for not a massive size or cost seem like a no brainer. I love at some lenses that basically rubber band on the your iphone but I think the ones i saw were like $100. Ill check out the ones you mentioned. I finally get the app working better and signed up for a flickr account so I'm adding actual pictures instead of thumbnails lol.

I picked up an rw-4 on here for my new tank, JBJ 45g, it has tons of flow so I don't think you can go wrong with adding one to your tank.

What is your first coral gonna be? Any idea on what direction your as far as stocking?

Thatoneomahaguy

I need to stop setting up tanks so that my wallet doesn't cry :lol: Thank you though! Keep up the good work over the next four years and your signature will look the same!

If you're looking for iPhone camera lenses, Amazon sells some super cheap kits (like under $20) that are actually halfway decent and just pop onto the top of your phone. I have a set that has a fisheye lens, macro lens, and wide angle lens.

Nice! Thats exactly what I need. Are you able to free hand it or do you need a stand?

I picked up an rw-4 on here for my new tank, JBJ 45g, it has tons of flow so I don't think you can go wrong with adding one to your tank.

What is your first coral gonna be? Any idea on what direction your as far as stocking?

Nice thats good to hear. I would love to get black ice clown to host in a hammer coral. Some of the bi-color ones are so cool! I saw a pic of someones tank that covered the entire back wall in GSP. The color and waiving motion would be sweet. I dont really want it all over the rocks but covering the back wall would be cool. Eventually I want some cool zoas, maybe a pom-pom xenia, and probably a green or pink monti. Just for starters I mean.... ;)

Simulated Fish

I saw a pic of someones tank that covered the entire back wall in GSP. The color and waiving motion would be sweet. ;)

Get out of my head! That is what my plan is I love the GSP walls and so does my wife. Solid stocking list!

Nice! Thats exactly what I need. Are you able to free hand it or do you need a stand?

As long as I'm not photographing fish, I don't really have an issue with getting clear shots free hand with the iPhone. If you look at my thread, I do all my photos free hand. I haven't played with the lenses in a while. They're not professional quality by any means, but they take decent photos.

Thatoneomahaguy

Get out of my head! That is what my plan is I love the GSP walls and so does my wife. Solid stocking list!

Great minds think alike and I guess we do too. The gf wants something wavey and the neon green and purple add so much color. Ill have find some other stuff too so its not covered in green and pink/red stuff.

As long as I'm not photographing fish, I don't really have an issue with getting clear shots free hand with the iPhone. If you look at my thread, I do all my photos free hand. I haven't played with the lenses in a while. They're not professional quality by any means, but they take decent photos.

Awesome. Ive had okay luck so far with just a phone. Im sure with more practice I should be okay. Some of the macro shots you can find on here are truly amazing. You had better believe I'll be creeping your thread tomorrow at work.

Archived