ReefCleaners.org

ZEOvit System

onthefly

the coil denitrator works on the same principal as a DSB. The anerobic area houses denitrifying bacteria. The SUPER slow flow through the coil ensures the water that gets throught the first part becomes devoid of oxygen as it goes through the remainder of the coil.

The DSB relys on a slow diffusion of water from the aquarium to the plenum and back. If the sand is too shallow, the water doesn't become totally devoid of oxygen. If the sand has too much rock on it, then the surface area for diffusion is greatly reduced, and with it, so is the efficiency of the DSB.

Originally posted by skeletor

only got to page 5, then ff to page 41, there is a lot of stuff there but it didn't convince me the DSB's can't work.. it is, after all, just another place to grow bacteria.

-skeletor-

It's not that they will not work. It's that they will become something else over time,so they say. You have to go through the whole thing but you need not read everyones replys. You'll know who's to look at after a few pages. After 6 pages, it wouldn't convine me either.

I think the biggest problem with DSB's is the decrease in biodiversity over time. You start out with countless bacteria species, worms, crustaceans, etc.....and over time those get depleted (predation, lack of proper space for propagation, etc), then the DSB stops working correctly and begins to emit nutrient.

Thus, everyone says "Yeah!" for a few years, then says "Boo!" after that.

That's why people advocate "recharging" the DSB every year or two.

• 2 months later...
Actually, they say it fine for softies, LPS, and Clams too.

how could a system that starves the tank of nutrients be beneficial for clams and softies? i think they're contradicting themselves a little bit.

i've never seen any of the tanks that are running the ZEOvit system on RC, but the pictures, and the testimonies from the people using it are pretty spectactular. give it a year, and then see how those tanks are doing.

i really want to try this system out, even if it is a load of crock, but not until i set up a much larger tank, which will be a few years. i dunno, i may get the cohones to finally take the plunge and try it with this tank, but i have a lot of researching to do first.

I think Rich (aka Skeletor) set it up on his 29ga.....maybe he'll chime in.

I also saw a DYI reactor that wasn't an arm and a leg.

I'm going to set it up on my 40BDR that I'm planning

My friend just started the Zeo so we'll see how it goes.

I'm starting a new tank so if I see any significant changes in his tank I may try it out.

It's better to start it from the beginning so.... like I said I will just have to wait a month or two.

I still don't know where I stand with the zeo method. I have seen plenty of beautiful tanks that don't use it so the $500-$1000 it will cost me is a little hard to swallow.

By the way, Hi Skeletor and Fly. Long time no see:)

hey guys, long time ...

yep, I'm running zeovit on my 20 and I totally love it. Been on it since 10/6. Cost was not that great since I only use 1 cup of zeolites every 6-8 weeks, 1 drop zeobak 1 drop zeofood every 2 days. I'm running the zoelites in a phosban reactor which cost $25, plus I got some zeo-carbon. all the zeo stuff cost $90 shipped (I'm not using zeostart), the bak and food will last a good 6 months and the zeolites and carbon should be about a 3 or 4 months supply.

I splurged and spent $200 on a really nice Hanna low range phosohate photometer for accurately measuring PO4, not really required but I love toys. I started around 0.06ppm and went down to 0.03ppm in 2 weeks. the red fluff algae has finally started to die off in large patches and I'm finally winning the algae war.

and the colors are really starting to show in a few of my less colorful SPS. The brown monster that I got for $9 about 12 months ago has never had more polyp extension, is starting to turn green on the tips and has grown more in the last 3 weeks than in the previous 12 months. My scripps microthalmata has sprouted about 20 new branches and also has mad crazy polyp extension.

I also switched to Oceanic salt (from IO).

Anyway, my SPS are finally starting to look nice, I just finished building a Ca Reactor, but my tank looks like crap due to overcrowding and the like, coraline is a major problem now too, especially on the front glass. I also hate my sand bed and want it gone bad. So, these zeo-bugs must be getting to me because I've decided to upgrade to a 24" x 24" x 12" (on a 46" tall stand), going bare bottom with some serious flow this time, starting off with 50x and cranking it up from there....

progress pics are here: http://crayfish.nu/gallery/view_album.php?...lbumName=30cube

-skeletor-

oh yeah, the other cool think about the zeovit is that I've been putting the WC water from my 20 into my two other tanks and they also are looking great as a result. While the bacteria doesn't have the zeolites to host in they still live in the LR so some of them at least are doing some good.

-skeletor-

That is a sweet tank Rich! I love the shallow, but deep look....does that make sense?

Glad to hear the zeobugs are working for you.....I was getting ready to PM you about it. I'm working on a 40BDR and want to go Zeo.

I agree, that the cost isn't that much for a smaller tank if you DYI the reactor. Also, it's good to know you don't need the pimpy Zeostart at $55 a bottle.

Have you started to look into using the aminos, iodine, and iron suppliments?

Finally, who did you go through...madison?

-out

Hey Surfy!

hey OTF,

yep, that depth is doing to make for some interesting aquascaping.

the zeostart seems to perform the same function as zeofood and it's mostly needed at the start. I figured out the quantity in the bottle would be enough for about 6 years of dosing so I passed. without it the tank might take a little longer to get to stable zeo-levels, but that's ok by me.

I'm a big fan of AA's and I used to dose Salifert's AA so I am going to try that for sure, also been thinking of the zeospur2 but Madison was out when I checked a couple of days ago. Shipping was the best price through Madison, the rest of the stuff is the same price no matter where you get it. I got all my stuff from him.

I may try the iron as well, I was using some kent iron before to kick my macro and it did seem to help some of the greens really stand out.

to bad you're not closer or we could split some of the HCAA/FE/Spur, that would bring the cost down even more, and you'd still end up with a 2 year supply :D :D

-skeletor-

Originally posted by emokid

your solenoid valve is so sexy

which solenoid valve ?

The thing in the middle of the closed loop is an OM Squirt (which is pretty sexy), with a bypass underneath for a total of 4 alternating and 1 constant output, running off a gen-x mak-4 should be good for about 1200gph.

100_6321.sized.jpg

I won the Squirt in the "name the squirt" contest, so I though I should at least do a good job of the install.

-skeletor-

Nice skeletor.

I am thinking about trying the OM unit myself so if you remember please let me know how it works out.

I went with a cube myself. I got a 36" x 36" x 24" from Envision Acrylics. Sweet little tank.

But before I fill it with water I may drill some holes for a closed loop run off a sequence dart and maybe a OM unit.

Well if you need some sps frags to fill that beast just let me know. I have become fairly good friends with my LFS and get nice frags for cheap. I'm talking $5-$10 for a nice 3" frag, I usually get first pick too:D

Take care man.

Hey Surfy,

I've been running an OM Squirt on my 20 for a few months now and it's great, nice smooth transition between ports and nowhere near the friction loss a SCWD suffers from. They are only supposed to be good for 900 or so GPH max so that's why I have the extra bypass line on the new tank.

I'm just trying to get that plumbing finished tonight so I can do a water test on the w/end. it's all just mocked up for the photo above.

I might just take you up on that offer once the tank is up and everything is moved over. I got the bugs back, I'm a slacker and only did the one dose.. so when I change tanks everything is going in interceptor water for a few hours while I swap out the tanks, kill two birds (and lots of red bugs) with one stone ;-)

later,

-skeletor-

Well, good luck with both projects. I've been very lucky since I have avoided the bugs so far.

I have had many frags come and go from one tank to another and never encountered them *crossing fingers*.

Archived