inTank Media Baskets

No Internet No Light

Wander

I think in the case of a situation where the power came back but the internet did not, connecting the light directly to an outlet would solve the immediate problem of not having a light over the tank. If my area was experiencing a natural disaster like super storm sandy, I'm not really concerned about ramp on, ramp off, clouds and lightening, I just want my corals not to die.

Dave installed my blue fish 2 weeks ago and I left town that very day so I didn't get a chance to play with it. But I don't think there is a direct connect power cord from the light to an outlet, perhaps we can buy one. Seems like something to keep handy anyway, what if the controller dies for some reason.

Good points kat. I just know Comcast is mad flaky in Philly and we have outages sometimes for hours for cable when the power only went out for a second. That's really what I care about. Something to use when disaster strikes either locally or in the cloud so that my light would still be functional. I am not knocking the product in anyway. It's awesome and better than most out there, these are just suggestions and thoughts.

Interesting, if my bluefish mini with mini tide, loses Internet for a second, my light turns only the whites on. I really do not know why! Also sometimes I lose complete control of the white channel all together. I can control the blues, moonlight and fan, but whites stay at 100 percent. Then randomly it will work like normal. I have no idea what is going on.

I will talk to Spencer about a few ideas. I have had zero issues loosing internet and the light not functioning. However when I loose power, not internet, power back on and still no light until the internet comes back. Again VERY rare case.

-Dave

From reading through this, Would it make sense to be able to download the controller settings config file to a local computer on a home network this way in case of a power outage and loss of internet (as someone who works in IT is possible and have dealt with clients regaining power and then cable internet is still down because of it being on the same utility pole as the one causing the outage in the beginning.) I think it would be great to be able to have to controller on a local network to receive the config file form a local computer of even a rasberry pi. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as it's been what has been holding me back from putting in an order for new lights for my Nuvo 10.

From reading through this, Would it make sense to be able to download the controller settings config file to a local computer on a home network this way in case of a power outage and loss of internet (as someone who works in IT is possible and have dealt with clients regaining power and then cable internet is still down because of it being on the same utility pole as the one causing the outage in the beginning.) I think it would be great to be able to have to controller on a local network to receive the config file form a local computer of even a rasberry pi. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as it's been what has been holding me back from putting in an order for new lights for my Nuvo 10.

It is a small risk and I hear you as I work in the IT field as well. This weekend was the first outage of the website itself that our bluefishs talk to. Thankfully they all worked as the old version of the site was still up and they have their configs on them till they lose power. Anyone who may have lost power while the website was down may have had issues. I definitely think spencer will come up with some ideas regarding this as he is real intuitive and fast acting on many things in the past. The system does allow for great flexibility in programming and deployment so who knows. Either way, minus a small glitch u may have, the light and controller are awesome.

I know he is working on something so this is not an issue. I have been using the Bluefish line before it was even released and have only had this twice. I can assure you it is not something that is a normal issue by any means.

-Dave

SpencerShepard

If you can't get wifi after a power outage, then you can simply use your phone as a hotspot so that the controller can download settings (and firmware) to resume normal operation. I don't think 99.9% of people will ever have this issue.

It is a small risk and I hear you as I work in the IT field as well. This weekend was the first outage of the website itself that our bluefishs talk to. Thankfully they all worked as the old version of the site was still up and they have their configs on them till they lose power. Anyone who may have lost power while the website was down may have had issues. I definitely think spencer will come up with some ideas regarding this as he is real intuitive and fast acting on many things in the past. The system does allow for great flexibility in programming and deployment so who knows. Either way, minus a small glitch u may have, the light and controller are awesome.

Just for clarification, the recent outage was for our web server which only affected the Bluefish 2 app and our website. Entirely unrelated to the controller firmware or settings. That is all handled on the Electric Imp servers which have proven to be extremely reliable.

If you can't get wifi after a power outage, then you can simply use your phone as a hotspot so that the controller can download settings (and firmware) to resume normal operation. I don't think 99.9% of people will ever have this issue.

Just for clarification, the recent outage was for our web server which only affected the Bluefish 2 app and our website. Entirely unrelated to the controller firmware or settings. That is all handled on the Electric Imp servers which have proven to be extremely reliable.

Good to know. Ty.

Archived