Top Shelf Aquatics

Red stringy mucus growing on filter socks

holy carp

coral snow+MB7 - mix and keep aside for a day or two. dose in the tank 1ml at a time over several days.

You can also try a 3 day light out while you dose the coral snow combo.

I fixed my cyano in a week this way.

So let me interpret this... The idea is to make a concentrated culture of nitrifying bacteria to dose the tank over a period of time to accelerate the reduction of 'nutrients' the cyano need? Is this different from adding higher dosage of the MB7 bacteria without coral food?

Also, is there something special about those brands, or can I use any dusty coral food and cycling bacteria? (at home I currently have New Life Spectrum and Seachem) I'm not sure how different those bacteria are...

New-Life-International-Nutri-Cel-Encapsu+ Seachem-Laboratories-Freshwater-and-Mari?

So far, my sand vacuuming combined with the phosguard bag that gulsurfer recommended has slowed the cyano down a bit, but hasn't stopped it. It still grows on the sock, but doesn't form as thick on the sand. My chaeto still isn't growing, but little bits of gha are. The isopods in the sump are having a grand time snacking on the little gha filaments attached to the glass. I ordered a Tunze 9004 skimmer, but was just notified it will be delayed due to inventory error, so I don't have an ETA. I'll try this bacterial treatment as well and see how it goes over the week or so.

Nutricell is a food AFAIK, and the MB7+coral snow is a combo I got from ReHype. Both of us plus others have achieved success with it. You can try the stability to see if it works. I tried coral snow with Dr Tims but it worked best with MB7. Nobody knows what strains of bacteria are in these reef products so it's hard to say what works and why.

Oh, I'm with you now...

When I read your original post, I was thinking of B.A. ReefSnow or T.L.F. MarineSnow, but you meant Coral Snow by Korallenzucht, which is some kind of liquid filter media. OK, I'll order this with the MB7 (why do I feel like most of my Christmas shopping is for my aquarium?)

Assume the mix ratio is 1:1?

Archived