inTank Media Baskets

TJ's Tall Jungle - New FTS & Pics

TJ_Burton

Thanks everyone! It has been quite the adventure already and I am sure will continue to be for the rest of my foreseeable future. :)

On topic,
Did a quick side x side of my two Bromeliad neoregelia 'Wild Tiger' to show how much of a difference high lighting makes for these plants.

The one on the left is kept in a grow-out setup for my collection, the one on the right is in my display under the Radion Pro. The grow-out gets approx 4000-4500 lux while the display is receiving a variable output of 9000 to 12,000 lux (using a Milwaukee Luxmeter).

They were both quite a bit more drab when they arrived, and both have progressed, but the one in the display just keeps getting brighter and brighter!

12184063_10153480531533283_4991332617562

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick FTS update!

Moved the first vine to the rear right corner right above some Christmas Moss that will hopefully start growing up it. The broms are looking fantastic, and my orchids are growing and blooming which is great!

Misting system goes off once per day for 15 seconds, followed by the air circulation fan for 15 minutes, enclosure always looks nice and dry within an hour or so and the RH is always between 80%-90%.

Going to add some more plants and mosses very soon - frogs should be added on Nov 23rd when I get a chance to pick them up!

12065920_10153483964633283_3643838662297

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

I have been growing some moss carpets (Christmas & Flame) in a 10 gallon terrestrial setup, and they are now finally where they belong, in the center of the stump. They should spread nicely across the Hygrolon.

11416181_10153505211873283_8298056588187

12246741_10153505211868283_2151481266471

Good ol' jungle sunrise.

Glad a put a Radion over this beast - sure was fun to program!

One of these days I will start using the DSLR to take photos of the viv since my cell sucks at it.

12227632_10153507738038283_9122478293875

Finally finished the background, what do you think?

Fantastic!

Great texture and dimension without taking up too much space in the enclosure. The wood you've chosen as a centerpiece looks great as well.

Are you planning to do broms and orchids etc? Any thoughts on how you're going to light it?

What's happening in here?

Just talk'n frugs :)

DC has a viv project on the go too - great start from the looks of it.

What you up to, Kat?

Fantastic!

Great texture and dimension without taking up too much space in the enclosure. The wood you've chosen as a centerpiece looks great as well.

Are you planning to do broms and orchids etc? Any thoughts on how you're going to light it?

Thanks man. It has been an adventure and fun fo sho!

Yah, broms, miniorchids and creepers are in the plans. Playing around with some ideas for the floor. Want to have some terrace like levels to give some added depth. Any recommendations you have as to plants I would love to hear. Going to play around with the background a little more with some vines and see where it goes. About to order the mistking, thinking about running some doubles in the front left and right. As for light, thinking about either a finnex 24/7 plus with beamworks high led or go with Tincman's 22" LED with folios mount. Appreciate any ideas you may have. Kind of hard to get it together lightwise being the setup is so tall but love the height. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack yo thread but you created (inspired) monster :blink: and thought would like to see what has come to be so far.

How's the new family? Fun isn't it? Thanks again for all the help.

What's happening in here?

Rrrrrrribit. TJ's thread peaked my interest with these frugs. Setting up one next to the reef and hoping for the best of both worlds. BTW, I've enjoyed watching yo setup from the beginning. It's lookin' perty fantastico!

Thanks man. It has been an adventure and fun fo sho!

Yah, broms, miniorchids and creepers are in the plans. Playing around with some ideas for the floor. Want to have some terrace like levels to give some added depth. Any recommendations you have as to plants I would love to hear. Going to play around with the background a little more with some vines and see where it goes. About to order the mistking, thinking about running some doubles in the front left and right. As for light, thinking about either a finnex 24/7 plus with beamworks high led or go with Tincman's 22" LED with folios mount. Appreciate any ideas you may have. Kind of hard to get it together lightwise being the setup is so tall but love the height. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack yo thread but you created (inspired) monster :blink: and thought would like to see what has come to be so far.

How's the new family? Fun isn't it? Thanks again for all the help.

For the MistKing, doubles are awesome, but probably not necessary. I have two singles, and the entire 18 x 18 x 24 enclosure is completely filled with mist while they are running. The coverage of the heads is pretty awesome, so the really benefit of the doubles in your case may be more towards aiming top to bottom in different areas. Make sure you order the V4.0 directly from the MistKing site. The new seconds timers are BOSS. Way better than the older ones, hands down, no comparison.

As for light... dear god do froggers vastly underestimate how much light broms require to keep proper color. I mean, I am using a Radion Pro to keep things looking hype and so far its killing it! I am thinking of using a Kessil TunaSun on the next viv to see how well it performs. Either way, you can put a lot more light than that. Also keep in mind that if you have broms or anything wide up top (where they like to be) they will cause shade below, making higher output lighting even more important.

No worries about the hijacking! Love talking frugs anywhere, anytime. Keep us posted on your viv!

The new fam jam is doing really well. Really bringing my wife and I even closer together (which we didn't think was possible). Love that little daughter of mine, even though she only eats, poops, and cries right now hahaha.

For the MistKing, doubles are awesome, but probably not necessary. I have two singles, and the entire 18 x 18 x 24 enclosure is completely filled with mist while they are running. The coverage of the heads is pretty awesome, so the really benefit of the doubles in your case may be more towards aiming top to bottom in different areas. Make sure you order the V4.0 directly from the MistKing site. The new seconds timers are BOSS. Way better than the older ones, hands down, no comparison.

As for light... dear god do froggers vastly underestimate how much light broms require to keep proper color. I mean, I am using a Radion Pro to keep things looking hype and so far its killing it! I am thinking of using a Kessil TunaSun on the next viv to see how well it performs. Either way, you can put a lot more light than that. Also keep in mind that if you have broms or anything wide up top (where they like to be) they will cause shade below, making higher output lighting even more important.

No worries about the hijacking! Love talking frugs anywhere, anytime. Keep us posted on your viv!

The new fam jam is doing really well. Really bringing my wife and I even closer together (which we didn't think was possible). Love that little daughter of mine, even though she only eats, poops, and cries right now hahaha.

Glad to hear the fam is doing well. It's an adjustment but a great one. Hope you guys have a awesome first Holiday together. It's a special one for sure.

As for the lights, I would love to do the Tuna Sun but concerned that it would have to be elevated pretty high in order to cover the entire the top of my enclosure and thus loosing some intensity for the bottom. Thoughts? If I do the Radion, Do think I could just do the XR 30w Generation 3 or even an older used one from the classifieds? Which one are you using?

Glad to hear the fam is doing well. It's an adjustment but a great one. Hope you guys have a awesome first Holiday together. It's a special one for sure.

As for the lights, I would love to do the Tuna Sun but concerned that it would have to be elevated pretty high in order to cover the entire the top of my enclosure and thus loosing some intensity for the bottom. Thoughts? If I do the Radion, Do think I could just do the XR 30w Generation 3 or even an older used one from the classifieds? Which one are you using?

I have a TunaSun over a planted 45 gallon and it spills light like you wouldn't believe, so I think it would probably be fine. As for the Radion, I am using a Gen 2 Pro and keep the blues turned down pretty far and the reds and whites are pretty well maxed. Blues top out around 50% at most, and same with the UV. So that being said, I am obviously not using the full potential of the fixture, but that is mostly due to the fact that its geared for reefing. I also use their little XR15FW over a smaller plant grow out and it work really well. You could likely do the XR15WF with a wide angle lens and call it a day.

Not much. Tank turns 1 year old tomorrow, can you believe it!

Wowza! Time really flies by fast, huh?

Really excited for you! New FTS and photos for tank birthday I hope. :)

Looks awesome TJ when are the frogs coming?

They have arrived and are in the viv :ninja:

Love how the background turned out! I'm eager to see how this will look planted. I am slowly working on a viv myself, though it will be awhile before it sees plants.

I've been toying with the idea of using a NanoBox freshwater planted light for the Viv...

Looks like a fantastic start!

I was curious about using NanoBox as well. Could be a fantastic choice and the new cases are absolutely gorgeous. I have spoken with Dave about it and am waiting on more information before I can say for sure if it is something I am willing to try. My recommendation is that you treat bromeliads (if you so choose to keep them) like SPS. They need a lot of light in order to keep proper coloration. Mosses can grow well under much less light, and same with orchids and many other typical viv plants. Broms though... they need their high quality photons!

Oh snap :o

They are super shy at first, and vanzolinii are shy in general so it will be a little while before I can get decent pics of them. For now, this is the only pic I have... and its a crappy cell shot of course.

12277057_10153513240678283_1098108642_n.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

question would a AI prime work with a vivarium ?

Technically sure - but the spectrum won't look right... Kessil TunaSun looks fantastic on a viv, so does the Ecotech XR15FW.

I see most of the photo links are broken now... I will have to go fix that at some point. Lame...

thomas8man

Technically sure - but the spectrum won't look right... Kessil TunaSun looks fantastic on a viv, so does the Ecotech XR15FW.

I see most of the photo links are broken now... I will have to go fix that at some point. Lame...

I am slowly setting up my first frog vivarium which will be 65 gallon just trying set up a water fall system. Also question how do you make a background or do you have a link to something most people is foam and stuff

Archived