inTank Media Baskets

B's Fusion 20 take 2

jbb

Whats that on the right? A filter sock? It's a bubble tower to cut down on salt creep in the stand

What size tubing are you using? Looks big! I guess the more flow from the returns the less need for powerheads? Return is 1" but eventually drops to 1/2" at the top. Drain is 1" bulkheads that feed into 1.5" piping down to the sump. Bubble tower is 3"

i need more info on this "bubble tower"

It's just a large diameter pipe that catches the bubbles produced by the falling water into the sump. That is why I used 1.5" pipe for the drain , it allows the air to escape back up through the plumbing and out through the breather in the durso. The tower is open at the bottom

• Like 1

how much noise do they make? i have a full siphon pipe with an emergency that makes zero noise

With the stand closed there is a slight trickle in the overflow , but that's it

• Like 1

wut

like diagrams and detailed pictures and shit

now this i have to see.

ok so here is a terrible drawing of what is going on

(what you are seeing is the bubble tower with a water break installed. The water break slows the flow of water dropping into the sump by deflecting the water in multiple directions instead of allowing the normal jet of water shooting downward. the end result is less bubble generation in the sump

21264419078_a743e31be1_z.jpg

here are internal pics of the water break

ripped section of PVC (I used 1.5" pipe because that's what I had and because I do what I want)

21264460628_a8069bb3f1_z.jpg

water break wedged into bubble tower

21452291015_0d903875e5_z.jpg

water break slid to desired location (break is held in position by friction only , should be a fairly tigh fit)

21264277250_cc2bb52099_z.jpg

• Like 4

So my drain is a 1 inch vinyl pipe going straight down into the sump. No right angles and stuff like yours. How would i make this bubble tower work on my system?

If I just slide a 1" inner diameter PVC cap like you have - (what is the bell shaped looking cap-part called?) on my vinyl pipe - the cap attached to a pvc sleeve that is cut out on the bottom like your. Will that do the same thing?

How will I have filter socks on it?

So my drain is a 1 inch vinyl pipe going straight down into the sump. No right angles and stuff like yours. How would i make this bubble tower work on my system?

If I just slide a 1" inner diameter PVC cap like you have - (what is the bell shaped looking cap-part called?) on my vinyl pipe - the cap attached to a pvc sleeve that is cut out on the bottom like your. Will that do the same thing?

How will I have filter socks on it?

YUNOANSWER

YUNOANSWER

Sorry , didn't see the post .

In order to continue to run filter socks I would just tee off the end of your drain line. But I wouldn't use a 1" tee , I would go with a 1.5 - 2" tee . The tee will act as your water break

• 3 months later...

So I think I stumbled across your you tube channel tonight. I was thinking about upgrading my Cad 8 to an IM lagoon 25. When I saw the measurements on the lagoon I realized that wouldnt work. The IM Fusion 20 seems to be the perfect size for me. Although after watching your vids I am not to sure now. Was the AIO that terrible? I am not scared of drilling the tank although if I do it, back drilling isnt an option. It would have to be bottom drilled do you know if the bottom is tempered? Any suggestions? Or are there any other tanks with those dims you would suggest?

So I think I stumbled across your you tube channel tonight. I was thinking about upgrading my Cad 8 to an IM lagoon 25. When I saw the measurements on the lagoon I realized that wouldnt work. The IM Fusion 20 seems to be the perfect size for me. Although after watching your vids I am not to sure now. Was the AIO that terrible? I am not scared of drilling the tank although if I do it, back drilling isnt an option. It would have to be bottom drilled do you know if the bottom is tempered? Any suggestions? Or are there any other tanks with those dims you would suggest?

The AIO wasn't bad , it just wasn't working for what I wanted at the time. I would have no issue using it as an AIO if I had to. As far as drilling the bottom , I don't know . They glue a thin layer of padding to the bottom to help with leveling so you would have to remove that first. When I dropped the rock on the bottom , it didn't crack like plate glass, but it didn't spider like tempered either . I'm not sure if the mat being glued to the bottom had a role in that or not.

If your looking for an easy , affordable, nice AIO then I say go for it . If you're thinking sump from the start then maybe the MR Aqua 33g (24x18x18) that's probably the closest footprint readily available.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...