Innovative Marine Aquariums

SPS killing itself via shadowing- Radion Pro

HarryPotter

Yeah, something else is going on. I have shadowing going on in almost all of my corals, my pavona has the worst of it and I have two monti caps shadowing each other. All of the coral still has tissue, the colors just aren't as good. I would frag your healthy parts and dip them in iodine. I broke a piece of my red monti recently while working in the tank, the frag got RTN badly, but an iodine dip (seachems reef dip) has seem to stop it in its tracks and the last couple days, there has been noticeable new tissue growth.

XR30w Pro's here.. Because of shadowing issues you need wide angle lenses, unless you're mounting your 90 degree angle fixture at a 45 degree angle or such with another on the other side.. hehe

With wide angle lenses all is great.

Otherwise it's easy for corals to starve ime... Add some plankton food just in case. Reef Energy would do ya good.

jedimasterben

For some reason I have constant issues with pink birdsnest under my LEDs

Not keeping color or necrosis? Pink corals need larger amounts of light and larger amounts of red light to keep their color.

Just bought some iodine dip. I'm going to frag off some healthy tissue, dip the frags and remaining base/coral.

Yeah, something else is going on. I have shadowing going on in almost all of my corals, my pavona has the worst of it and I have two monti caps shadowing each other. All of the coral still has tissue, the colors just aren't as good. I would frag your healthy parts and dip them in iodine. I broke a piece of my red monti recently while working in the tank, the frag got RTN badly, but an iodine dip (seachems reef dip) has seem to stop it in its tracks and the last couple days, there has been noticeable new tissue growth.

I'l be doing this- iodine dip and fragging. (Actually, fragging and then iodine dip) Thanks!

I think your spot on with your shadowing theory harry, I have been having the same issue with my Acros forcing me to move their locations, but after talking to a few people locally I consider to be experts on Acros, they all pretty much told me the same thing LED's just never cut it for them, they still stand next to their Halide/T5 Hybrids.

I think your spot on with your shadowing theory harry, I have been having the same issue with my Acros forcing me to move their locations, but after talking to a few people locally I consider to be experts on Acros, they all pretty much told me the same thing LED's just never cut it for them, they still stand next to their Halide/T5 Hybrids.

Well I dipped them and then fragged off a few pieces, that are all doing great. Whether from no shadowing OR the dip, things are looking up for this sad Stylophora

27E5286A-92BF-40BA-8158-5E2574BFD26E_zps

Low alk is your problem, non of your monti caps have a white growth rim.

Those are new frags less than a week old- and the purple ones are already developing white rims.

Sure I'll double check my Hanna Checker with salifert, but I'm steady at 8.2

What's that on the top right frag rack? Did you glue a snail shell to a frag plug? Lol. That's not gonna grow! :)

Wait.... That's not how animals have babies?

Haha just noticed that

Bump it to 9.

Done. Two 5g water changes (yesterday and today) and I'm at 9.2 :)

The Montipora ARE growing really fast with large white edges, these are week old frags that haven't recovered.

Meanwhile, the Stylophore frags AND base are continuing to recover and are starting to look "good"

I'm thinkin there was some sort of pest chewing on the polyps.

Should I dip again (Iodine or CoralRX) in the future or nov

You have any limpets in your tank? My wife had a couple of limpets that were eating her neon green pocci. Damage looked very similar.

Not that I know of

Something is off with your tank, but I don't think it is the LEDs. Birdsnest corals are very odd corals. Sometimes they'll wither while Acros are thriving and sometimes you can't get them to die. I have fuzzy acros, cali tort, green slimers, a red planet, and several species of montipora growing under LEDs for years, but every time I try a frag of birdnest in my tank it did the same thing that happened to yours. If it was self shading, my fuzzy acros and monti digis would be more vulnerable to the self shading than a birdsnest would be, but they haven't had that problem. Do you have dosers or a way to keep your levels stable (more than hand dosing?) My Digis were starting to STN like that birdsnest before I picked up a pair of drew's dosers and now they are growing at an extreme rate.

Something is off with your tank, but I don't think it is the LEDs. Birdsnest corals are very odd corals. Sometimes they'll wither while Acros are thriving and sometimes you can't get them to die. I have fuzzy acros, cali tort, green slimers, a red planet, and several species of montipora growing under LEDs for years, but every time I try a frag of birdnest in my tank it did the same thing that happened to yours. If it was self shading, my fuzzy acros and monti digis would be more vulnerable to the self shading than a birdsnest would be, but they haven't had that problem. Do you have dosers or a way to keep your levels stable (more than hand dosing?) My Digis were starting to STN like that birdsnest before I picked up a pair of drew's dosers and now they are growing at an extreme rate.

Yes for dosers, very stable. Recovering :)

Archived