Cultivated Reef

Fluvial Edge 12g Update new build in!

Metatrone-oz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your take on this :

Usually these guys are spot on.

BRS knows what they are talking about. Yes, i would use it and make sure you put an air stone in like BRS said (probably on full power). Keep your skimmer on too. Do you have a T or Y valves for your air pump?

When dosing it make sure you put a full cap in because you have the marine pac. Ive seen similar products used in Reef and predator tanks.

BRS knows what they are talking about. Yes, i would use it and make sure you put an air stone in like BRS said (probably on full power). Keep your skimmer on too. Do you have a T or Y valves for your air pump?

When dosing it make sure you put a full cap in because you have the marine pac. Ive seen similar products used in Reef and predator tanks.

Thank you for the feedback.

I'll get the air stone and the T tonight.

I've increased the flow in the tank but it doesn't really reach all around. Also left the tank lights off during the day. My corals don't like it so much.

Got a bit of a coral crush with my sun coral tonight after feeding the tank (didn't even target fed him):

e98c77ea-da9e-48eb-8cb2-10ee472f5908_zps

75c8d938-d476-490e-9325-0f83c73e1732_zps

73bacd10-8035-451a-b812-26f89a394a25_zps

And just a close up from my goni (no macro lens yet :( )

bbb2e6ac-7b45-43ea-abb0-5fe1ef7c8e2d_zps

I've decided to wait and see for my cyano problem after increasing the flow and turning off the lights during the day. I'll give it a few days as it seems to improve slightly already. (my skimmer is going nuts lol)

Got a bit of a coral crush with my sun coral tonight after feeding the tank (didn't even target fed him):

e98c77ea-da9e-48eb-8cb2-10ee472f5908_zps

75c8d938-d476-490e-9325-0f83c73e1732_zps

73bacd10-8035-451a-b812-26f89a394a25_zps

And just a close up from my goni (no macro lens yet :( )

bbb2e6ac-7b45-43ea-abb0-5fe1ef7c8e2d_zps

I've decided to wait and see for my cyano problem after increasing the flow and turning off the lights during the day. I'll give it a few days as it seems to improve slightly already. (my skimmer is going nuts lol)

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

hey, how is everything doing? cyano wars won?

got my reefloat ATU delivered today. nice stuff. still wondering how I have to modify the output to fit in the sump. did you get a hose adaptor to use the glass hook?

how is the lights and fan doing with the bluefish?

I decided to get me a BF mini and modify it to get power through the marine packs LED driver. maybe drop in a voltage mod to even further regulate the fan if I feel the need. hope the fan likes it, some don't.

Will see how it goes...

sorry for all the questions and hijacking, but great to see some fellow edge reefers progress.

getting some other gear the next weeek, then all I need is the tank and some rocks.

hey, how is everything doing? cyano wars won?

got my reefloat ATU delivered today. nice stuff. still wondering how I have to modify the output to fit in the sump. did you get a hose adaptor to use the glass hook?

how is the lights and fan doing with the bluefish?

I decided to get me a BF mini and modify it to get power through the marine packs LED driver. maybe drop in a voltage mod to even further regulate the fan if I feel the need. hope the fan likes it, some don't.

Will see how it goes...

sorry for all the questions and hijacking, but great to see some fellow edge reefers progress.

getting some other gear the next weeek, then all I need is the tank and some rocks.

Hey,

I'm still battling my cyano. I did my water test last week, and my phosphate/nitrate were through the roof.

So I've reduced my feeding to every second day, added some Phosguard and also trying some Chemipure elite. I also hope that my lighting under a healthy cycle will also help. I guess I will see the results of this soon.

At the moment my ATU pro is set with the default system and the big pump pipe. I haven't check how to reduce the size of the pipe to fit in the sump case yet, as the main issue is the fitting out of the pump. I've got the acrylic hooks recommended. I'll look into that soon.

I've got the Bluefish set up (not the mini) but I mad a mistake to plug it with the default settings (0-10v instead of the 0-5v required). So my lights are working fine and my daily cycle is going well. Now due to my mistake of not changing the jumpers in the system, I may have damaged the PWM of the fan. My fan is running at 100% the all time (like without the controller). So I need to send my lights back to Neil to have him to fix it :(. He's been helping to figure it out. So I will be without light for a few days (may help for my cyano).

I would recommend to get the full controller as recommended, just because of that voltage issue. Maybe ask Neil for advice there as he tested his system with the Bluefish.

that sun coral is beautiful

Thank you.

But that's where the Fluval edge design becomes an obstacle. It's really hard to target feed him and without a good care that gorgeous coral would die eventually. I actually returned it to my lfs, as I didn't want it to suffer from my tank. But it was truly happy and beautiful when just fed.

Thank you.

But that's where the Fluval edge design becomes an obstacle. It's really hard to target feed him and without a good care that gorgeous coral would die eventually. I actually returned it to my lfs, as I didn't want it to suffer from my tank. But it was truly happy and beautiful when just fed.

Smart move as much as it might pain you, it had to be done. Youll win your cyano battle for sure now....

Smart move as much as it might pain you, it had to be done. Youll win your cyano battle for sure now....

Thank you mate. I guess it's how you learn that a nano tank, especially the Fluval, comes with his limitation and obligations.

I got lucky to get a tiny BTA from my lfs and I'm trying to keep alive and happy. Right now it's trying to figure out his spot. Not the one I would like so far :). I've BTA proofed my MP10 with some guard on it, to avoid any drama.

I like to make life difficult as I know the BTA requires a good water and care. It opens up all day tho, so so far so good. Pics soon when it will decide to come in a spot I could actually see it :D

I've also added 2 dancing (camel) shrimps. Funny little inverts.

Thank you mate. I guess it's how you learn that a nano tank, especially the Fluval, comes with his limitation and obligations.

I got lucky to get a tiny BTA from my lfs and I'm trying to keep alive and happy. Right now it's trying to figure out his spot. Not the one I would like so far :). I've BTA proofed my MP10 with some guard on it, to avoid any drama.

I like to make life difficult as I know the BTA requires a good water and care. It opens up all day tho, so so far so good. Pics soon when it will decide to come in a spot I could actually see it :D

I've also added 2 dancing (camel) shrimps. Funny little inverts.

Well, now is the time to add the BTA that way he'll more then likely stay put and you can plan your corals around it. solid. Shrimp are pretty funny to watch, but they are much like crabs and are very finicky. one minute they eat the food you give them, the next minute they eat your zoas. i learned my lesson, a sexy shrimp killed my radioactive dragoneye zoa lol my only one!

Well, now is the time to add the BTA that way he'll more then likely stay put and you can plan your corals around it. solid. Shrimp are pretty funny to watch, but they are much like crabs and are very finicky. one minute they eat the food you give them, the next minute they eat your zoas. i learned my lesson, a sexy shrimp killed my radioactive dragoneye zoa lol my only one!

Yes, It was lucky to get a BTA that small. Very unusual.

I have 1 peppermint and the 2 camel shrimp left. The peppermint is picking at some of my zoas, but it seems to be very occasional at this stage. Also I'm a bit worried with my feeding reduction, it might attack them more often.

Will see :S

Hey,

I'm still battling my cyano. I did my water test last week, and my phosphate/nitrate were through the roof.

So I've reduced my feeding to every second day, added some Phosguard and also trying some Chemipure elite. I also hope that my lighting under a healthy cycle will also help. I guess I will see the results of this soon.

At the moment my ATU pro is set with the default system and the big pump pipe. I haven't check how to reduce the size of the pipe to fit in the sump case yet, as the main issue is the fitting out of the pump. I've got the acrylic hooks recommended. I'll look into that soon.

I've got the Bluefish set up (not the mini) but I mad a mistake to plug it with the default settings (0-10v instead of the 0-5v required). So my lights are working fine and my daily cycle is going well. Now due to my mistake of not changing the jumpers in the system, I may have damaged the PWM of the fan. My fan is running at 100% the all time (like without the controller). So I need to send my lights back to Neil to have him to fix it :(. He's been helping to figure it out. So I will be without light for a few days (may help for my cyano).

I would recommend to get the full controller as recommended, just because of that voltage issue. Maybe ask Neil for advice there as he tested his system with the Bluefish.

hey, I just bought this reduction connector part (don't know the english word). Just gonna put it on the default ATU-Pro 8 mm tube, the other side is 6 mm standard air tube.

post-87744-0-27100000-1447801634.jpg

I already ordered the BF mini and I checked the voltages. Everything should work out.

Even did my own fan control mod. You could use this as last resort and manually control the fan.

A bit of soldering and maybe 5-10 bucks for cable and controller required.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367336-reefin-on-the-edge-a-noobs-endeavour/?p=5184217

hey, I just bought this reduction connector part (don't know the english word). Just gonna put it on the default ATU-Pro 8 mm tube, the other side is 6 mm standard air tube.

attachicon.gifReduzierstueck.jpg

I already ordered the BF mini and I checked the voltages. Everything should work out.

Even did my own fan control mod. You could use this as last resort and manually control the fan.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367336-reefin-on-the-edge-a-noobs-endeavour/?p=5184217

solid advice! +1

attachicon.gifReduzierstueck.jpg

Thank you for the tip. I'll look for this here. I already have the acrylic hook for the back of the MP3.

Just a quick(bad) picture of my nano BTA trying a new spot:

5457e527-5582-4d66-a0b6-6aeba5bc62ae_zps

it's a green with orange tip as far as I can see

Cool fellow. I haven't thought of getting anemones yet, but I like the idea of them moving around.

Regarding the tube connector I found it under garden irrigation systems on amazon :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while so I should do a quick update.

A few things happened:

1- Water quality in question. 4 weeks ago I did a complete water test at my LFS and the results were pretty disappointing:

- No3: 5

- Phosphate: 0.50

- Calcium: 320

- PH: 7

- Akh: 6

So I've started dosing to increase the Akh, the Ph and the Calcium. Also I've added some Chemipure elite and Phosguard to get my Phosphate down ASAP and help against my cyano.

So after 4 weeks, my new readings:

- No3: 0

- Phosphate: 0.00 (Hannah)

- Calcium: 520

- PH: 8

- Akh: 9

So now it looks good :)

2- Lost some corals:

- Nano BTA gone after some serious harassment from the peppermint shrimp

- Couple of SPS frags

- 1 nano duncan

3- New corals:

- Traded my 2 big torches for 3 nano size ones including one gold:

IMG_0025_zpsvl30uvsz.jpg

- 1 nano duncan:

7c4c1f94-1da4-4ce2-a4af-9e043d4e3054_zps

- I've also cut my purple goni in half with the great assistance of my LFS. Tricky stuff

- a few bird nest frags

IMG_0084_zpsuntlhyrj.jpg

4- Light issue with the MP3

I made a mistake when I plug my lights to the Bluefish controller, as I didn't change the voltage from 0-10v to 0-5v in the controller and I damaged the fan controller (was running at 100% all the time).

Then later on I lost my white lights. it appears that some water/salt got in the connector and damage it:

5B0D6441-AF46-40F5-B397-096DE3F17BB0_zps

So i sent it back to Neil for help and repair. He was awesome to help me and it took a bit over a week. He actually upgraded the connector set up in the MP3 to avoid this problem in the future:

Android-1450162763464_zpsbck7d9yb.jpg

DE2F8A64-E7AA-42D5-B53A-C59FCF2B382B_zps

So now the MP3 is running great with the lights back on and the Bluefish set.

Quick vidz:

5- New friend:

608e2239-d7dc-4a4f-a5f0-8e94e641870c_zps

6036e644-8517-4c2d-8800-d7f541cd2aa9_zps

That's all for the updates :)

Very cool looking setup. The Marine Pac looks great - too bad they don't do one for the 6 gallon edge! Good luck with the firefish! They are awesome little guys.

• 3 months later...

Archived