Cultivated Reef

Fluvial Edge 12g Update new build in!

Metatrone-oz

Id wait about 2 weeks after the cycles end to get fish regardless. Also water bottle traps work well, though if its a mantis shrimp you might need some luck... they are incredibly smart. take it slowish and i think you'll do great! :D good luck!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id wait about 2 weeks after the cycles end to get fish regardless. Also water bottle traps work well, though if its a mantis shrimp you might need some luck... they are incredibly smart. take it slowish and i think you'll do great! :D good luck!

Yeah I think that shrimp catch will be an interesting challenge. Thank you.

Week end update:

Got my Clean Up Crew completed with :

- 2 Nassarius snails,

- 1 massive Astrea snail (will probably return it)
- 4 turbo snails
- 2 peppermint shrimps

IMG_2675_zpsdttt2caj.jpg

Went to a new local fish shop and bought my first livestock:

IMG_2674_zpsxo1tctbl.jpg

So I have new friends and corals:

IMG_0821_zpss8gdumgr.jpg

first Zoas:

IMG_0843_zps532uptqq.jpg

IMG_0844_zpswgvc2hxi.jpg

IMG_0845_zpsnevebnjt.jpg

They opened very quickly :

wW0Ac_zpsapln3vvx.jpeg

ydRim_zpsyf5xrrqy.jpeg

zsGBX_zpswewijw5l.jpeg

I'm still trying to figure out my camera setting to take relevant pictures, but I'm happy to share anyway.

The Zoas opened quick, good sign for a healthy environment.

Cheers.

Nice clowns!!!! Yea that snail is HUGE! I made the same mistake with a turbo snail, luckily i had a friend with a 40 gallon refug. So hes still chilling out there.

Those frags are really nice i love the green zoas. Awesome update, keep up the good work :D!

• 1 month later...

Time for the big update of the tank. It almost feels like a restart of it. Old set up:

e92d2e8c-4375-4caa-afce-4896071ce886_zps

Battling some cyano

IMG_0012_zpsvzoyrcvj.jpg

I've received almost all my new system to complete the upgrade of the tank:

ff364464-caa5-47d1-a07e-5ca24bc39db7_zps

The ATU3 pro for top ups:

4e33abd3-2f05-4987-ac75-0e2887585029_zps

And of course, the main part, my Marine Pac 3:

f557cb0f-a85d-468b-ac77-c7c5068cf1c3_zps

Unpacking and setting up:

84bb57a5-88db-4a42-a958-6be90d85a13b_zps

59052ac4-2f2e-43b6-8be4-264eea505d31_zps

92a032a3-74e7-41b3-a809-5102c47b0b66_zps

791e95e8-e48e-49e9-b4ac-f17a89ca1514_zps

I've used my Marine Pure spheres from my initial set up in the second level of the MP3 as this product is too good to pass

99a3a752-5d8d-4978-94c3-abbdfee45481_zps

All put together:

IMG_0065_zpsfarz2y7n.jpg

Now putting everything in the tank:

IMG_0070_zpsnwrag8td.jpg

IMG_0072_zpst01nyfvi.jpg

IMG_0071_zpszjjt40gb.jpg

I'm missing picture of the ATU 3 install yet and the final update when I'll get my Bluefish controller system.

Some shot of the tank post install. Got cloudy water initially, sorry for the pictures with my new corals:

8b55e2fe-a45b-4b49-8546-9a1e5914e850_zps

New Corals:

9d957709-070e-4536-90bd-88e8ae9b8cb7_zps

585cd5b3-ee62-4c44-9bc3-a6067bc64890_zps

4e212c09-ce93-44bd-8712-e2577f0202a8_zps

I'll get better picture soon when my water will be back clear and my diatom bloom gone :)

e54d0c40-735e-47af-9061-029032c31f2f_zps

Marine pure spheres are good. How's the skimmer working out?

I agree.

The skimmer is stil a work in progress. Breaking the pump until I can get a stable flow is the tricky bit for now. I'm fighting some diatom and my cyan is back a bit :(. So hopefully I'll get the benefit of it soon :0

Hey do you take your sun coral out of the tank to feed it?

I can target feed it with a long coral feeder "turkey baster".

I need the controller to regulate the light tho, it doesn't like the bright white right now, even under the rocks.

Maybe some of your cyano and algae is coming from excess nutrients when you feed your sun coral, my buddy just had issues with that recently. Not cyano, but i guess its the same concept? Anyway, he puts his in separate containers to feed them now, and his algae problems have receded.

Nice video. You have a very similar setup to what I gonna get. I decided to go for a tetra whisper as airpump, and a rw4 cause I can't afford the mp10 right now.

The refloat ATO looks nice. does it come with those hooks? Did you see it in action?

The fan noise is killing. I was really shocked when I tested my mp3. But it will be all better with a controller. According to Neill the fan is not really temperature controlled but uses the pwm signal from the controller. That's OK, but real temp control would be nicer. I spent the last 15 years with passive cooling of PC Hardware, so I am a bit critical about fan noises. Eventually I will do some fan controller mod, just to control the fan individually from the light setting. Just a simple potentiometer to dial or sth.

Indiana Reefin

Wow amazing tank!!

Your tank looks so clean.

The snail smoking is actually breeding. Snails breed all time in my tanks. Kinda anooying because your skimmer can act haywire.

I am going to be setting up a Spec V, but I wish I had this style aquarium due to the fact you don't have any space to put equipment in the overflow area. The only skimmer I could fit in the overflow section is a name skimmer, but they are hard to come by anymore

Nice video. You have a very similar setup to what I gonna get. I decided to go for a tetra whisper as airpump, and a rw4 cause I can't afford the mp10 right now.

The refloat ATO looks nice. does it come with those hooks? Did you see it in action?

The fan noise is killing. I was really shocked when I tested my mp3. But it will be all better with a controller. According to Neill the fan is not really temperature controlled but uses the pwm signal from the controller. That's OK, but real temp control would be nicer. I spent the last 15 years with passive cooling of PC Hardware, so I am a bit critical about fan noises. Eventually I will do some fan controller mod, just to control the fan individually from the light setting. Just a simple potentiometer to dial or sth.

Thank you.

The Reefloat ATO come with the little head to drip the water back in the sump (well it drips back in my sump in my setting, but could be set for back in the tank. Works all the same). I'm working at getting a way to adapt the pipe at the moment as it's too big to fit on the back of the MP3, inside the tank column. You can buy the hook on eBay, great stuff.

The fan noise is well explained by Neil that designed the system to be run with a controller. Your light settings will then define the fan speed. Quote from Neil:

"Yes the fan on the main heatsink will run at full speed when not used with the lighting controller - it is required to do so to keep both the tank and light cool when the light is running at 100%

It is really mean to be used with the bluefish though and when you set it in at the usual intensity of say 80% the fan will only make a little noise. At night running just the blues it makes no noise at all. "
So I'm excited to test it soon (still waiting for my Bluefish)

Wow amazing tank!!

Your tank looks so clean.

The snail smoking is actually breeding. Snails breed all time in my tanks. Kinda anooying because your skimmer can act haywire.

I am going to be setting up a Spec V, but I wish I had this style aquarium due to the fact you don't have any space to put equipment in the overflow area. The only skimmer I could fit in the overflow section is a name skimmer, but they are hard to come by anymore

Thank you.

This snail is my only turbo that lives on the rocks the all time... doesn't like the glass.

The mame skimmer is such a clean design. I'm working on the running of it still and it will take a little while to get it right. It gets some nice yellowy dirty stuff daily tho.

Maybe some of your cyano and algae is coming from excess nutrients when you feed your sun coral, my buddy just had issues with that recently. Not cyano, but i guess its the same concept? Anyway, he puts his in separate containers to feed them now, and his algae problems have receded.

It's definitely an excess of nutrients from my over feeding and also my lag of flow for quite some times. I believe the new lighting accelerate the growth too.

I've been scooping the main patch of cyano during my water change but I can already see it coming back. I've cut my feeding a lot, and I don't feed the sun coral more than a couple of times a week at the moment. I keep your friend's idea in mind tho. But as you know, taking stuff out and back in with this tank, is a bit of a challenge :)

Thank you.

The Reefloat ATO come with the little head to drip the water back in the sump (well it drips back in my sump in my setting, but could be set for back in the tank. Works all the same). I'm working at getting a way to adapt the pipe at the moment as it's too big to fit on the back of the MP3, inside the tank column. You can buy the hook on eBay, great stuff.

The fan noise is well explained by Neil that designed the system to be run with a controller. Your light settings will then define the fan speed. Quote from Neil:

"Yes the fan on the main heatsink will run at full speed when not used with the lighting controller - it is required to do so to keep both the tank and light cool when the light is running at 100%

It is really mean to be used with the bluefish though and when you set it in at the usual intensity of say 80% the fan will only make a little noise. At night running just the blues it makes no noise at all. "
So I'm excited to test it soon (still waiting for my Bluefish)

Thank you.

This snail is my only turbo that lives on the rocks the all time... doesn't like the glass.

The mame skimmer is such a clean design. I'm working on the running of it still and it will take a little while to get it right. It gets some nice yellowy dirty stuff daily tho.

It's definitely an excess of nutrients from my over feeding and also my lag of flow for quite some times. I believe the new lighting accelerate the growth too.

I've been scooping the main patch of cyano during my water change but I can already see it coming back. I've cut my feeding a lot, and I don't feed the sun coral more than a couple of times a week at the moment. I keep your friend's idea in mind tho. But as you know, taking stuff out and back in with this tank, is a bit of a challenge :)

Ya thats why i was surprised to see the sun coral, haha. You got this!

What's your take on this :

Usually these guys are spot on.

Archived