ReefCleaners.org

Justin Fox's JBJ 20 Frag Tank

justinfox

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Age of Aquariums (an online retailer) had 15% store wide so I made the purchase, only to find out they’re out of stock and it would be 2-3 weeks before the light gets to me (because the local Aussie Kessil guy is in the US at MACNA!). I dropped in the Aquaristic today and they had one in stock but had no goosenecks (the clamp I need to attach it to the tank!) in stock! They had some in there on my last visit when I was still not quite sure which lights to get... Grrr! The guys were super helpful but and they’ve lent me one of their own gooseneck clamps to use in the meantime until they come back in stock! Legends!

So here are a few pics of the light, will get it over the frag tank ASAP!

kessil_tuna_blue.jpg

kessil_160we.jpg

kessil_led.jpg

kessil_aquaristic.jpg

Nice! You will love the colour and the shimmer. Nothing quite looks like a Kessil.

Oh dude! The shimmer is SO intense it's bouncing off the walls and ceiling too... I'm not sure I'm going to be able to handle it! I've only got it on 50% power too! LOVE the ability to just turn the big metal knobs to adjust colour and intensity. They feel like good quality and have a nice solid movement to them. Very happy! Sitting here on the couch and seeing all 3 tanks from the one spot I think the Kessil wins for a certain quality and depth to how it lights up the water.

Some more quick shots:

kessil_jbj20_fragtank_justinfox.jpg

kessil_jbj20.jpg

kessil.jpg

fragskessil.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.

tunze9001.jpgTunze Comline Doc Protein Skimmer 9001.

tunzeskimmer.jpg

Literally the perfect fit! It's pretty quiet, sounds like coffee brewing!

biomedia.jpg

No live rock so I've got a block (which I've split in half) of MarinePure.

jbj20.jpg

The Kessil was way stronger than I thought. A few frags melted away and then green hair algae took over. I've moved all frags to the Nuvo 16 and cleaned this tank up.

Sadly the tank is currently empty bar a few snails. I've stolen the Kessil from this setup and put it on the Nuvo 16 (and in desperation I've put the Nuvo lights on this setup, but they're way too weak obviously).

A 2 month late order from an online store finally came in. It had a couple of goodies for the Frag Tank (which I wish I had gotten way earlier!).

I still intend to use this tank as a frag tank and it's been great as a quarantine tank too (great for floating bags to get them to the right temps too). I've got to buy another light though (maybe another Kessil).

Tunze looks very cool, funny though seeing the wall plug outlet - much different than mine ofcourse!

It's a bummer the kessil was a bit too strong.. do they make less output ones? I don't know much about kesstil's tbh.. I've seen them alot at the LFS on their Nuvo 16/ 20's though and they always looked nice. Hopefully you can get a new light figured out soon!

Tunze looks very cool, funny though seeing the wall plug outlet - much different than mine ofcourse!

It's a bummer the kessil was a bit too strong.. do they make less output ones? I don't know much about kesstil's tbh.. I've seen them alot at the LFS on their Nuvo 16/ 20's though and they always looked nice. Hopefully you can get a new light figured out soon!

The Kessil is easy to adjust (just 2 knobs), so I'm running it much more blue now (but the same amount of power). I'm sure I'll get it dialled in eventually!

• 2 weeks later...

This tank hasn't had much action since the last update. The hair algae took over, lost a few frags and I moved everything over to my new Nuvo 16. I cleaned up the tank and I've just kept it all running without lights until now.

Now I have an AI Prime on it. I figure I might as well try 3 different lights over the 3 different tanks!

Whilst the app on the phone is kinda cool, the lights just don't pop to the naked eye like the UltraBright LED unit in my Fluval Edge (which is never at 100% as the guys who made the light suggested against running it full power). The custom made UltraBright also outdoes the Kessil A160 on full blast, but the Kessil definitely has more pop and deeper blues than the AI Prime.

Not exactly upset with the purchase though! I initially wanted it for the Nuvo 16 but the light won't fit as the tank is too close to the wall (bad design!), but it fits fully extended over the JBJ20 so it really worked out perfectly. It has a lot of spread at the height it's set at, all I need now are frags!

fts_edge_jbj20.jpg

jbj20_aiprime.jpg

fish.jpg

I've got nothing in the tank except for a few locally collected hermits and gobies, and some macro.

Archived