Pod Your Reef

Is this condylactis anemone upside down?

10gallonnightmare

Originally posted by 10gallonnightmare

so youre saying egg white and tuna is no good?  It eats it pretty good and seems to be enjoying it self.  If you know for a fact that boiled egg white is no good for the anemone let me know but its just heresay you are giving me then admit that as well.

Well I'm going to do my very best not to flame because I did pretty much the exact same thing when I got started. For starters...boiled egg? Come on now, just HOW many chickens do you see running around the ocean floor? He may be eating it, which just shows you he is hungry and and willing to survive but I can pretty much assure you he isn't going to get everything he needs from boiled eggs and tuna.

Ok...when I first got my condy I had just basic standard stock aquarium lighting. Like yours my condy was pretty close to dead, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I had mine for 5 years and the only reason I don't have him now is because he out grew every tank I had. (started with a 5 gal went though 20gal!) Now I started with just the basic lighting but I did go and get some coral reef full spectrum bulbs they seemed to help him, at least they made him look prettier. Unlike a lot of the anenomes I'm not really sure that condy's really need advanced lighting, (mine sure didn't) but I may have very well been the exception to the rule. I'm positive that the reason mine did so well was because I fed him regularly, and really watched my water quaility.

I fed mine a varied diet of things that would be found in the ocean. Fresh shrimp, frozen squid, fish food, shrimp pellets, just a variety. Ok your not going to find fish food and shrimp pellets on the ocean floor but you get the idea.

Condy's are a type of scavanger so they will try about anything (which is why he is eating the egg I'm sure). Now the tuna probably won't hurt him, BUT tuna is a very oily fish and it's going to put off a residue in the water, and it won't be long until your water conditions are going to get really bad. If's VERY important that you do weekly water changes!! Condy's are messy eaters and you don't want to water to go to hell, that will surely kill him!

As far as him hosting a clown...well mine had a tomato clown that was totally in love with him. But I wouldn't put any other type of clown with him it will probably become lunch. At the time I also had a damsel and engineer goby in the tank but they were both smart enough to stay away. I wouldn't recommend trying that! I was too dumb to know better.

Anyway it is possible to keep him and watch him thrive, but it will take a little work. In the future it would be better to research the critters your interested in. But hey we ALL make mistakes. Good Luck

Diana

www.enchantedbayou.com

I heard torch corals are one of the few that can sting clowns?

i was looking at a torch for my clown then the dudeguy at the store told me that torch corals may sting clowns. first i had heard of it...

10gallonnightmare

This anemone is acting VERY VERY strangely. I had turned my head for a second and when I turned my head the guy had dissapeared. Dont know what happned. Then I loked and he was int eh same spot but had shrunk to about 1/10 the size and his tentacles were all curled in and tiny. There was a few hermit crabs by him and now there are 3 giong at it by his foot. I saw a small piece of white, dont know if it was the egg i fed him or if it was a cut tentacle that fell off. But now he is back to normal and actually bigger and looks like he has more tentacles except the hermit crabs are by him so something is dead there. I'm confused by this sucker. Here is a picture of him right now as I speak

It def needs some time and some light. You want that white color to turn a bit beige. They shrink like that all the time btw no biggie.

I agree with the others in that eggs and tuna just aren't the way to go. Get it some silversides now.

Since you have it and want to do what's best and are even willing to take the flames, at least try what is suggested and you may be fine.

Good luck!

Chris

BTW proof that PH!!!!! and even the intake from the HOB. It is in the moving around stage and it will get shredded if it ventures too close!

10gallonnightmare

OK what is proof, whats a HOB and whats a Silverside? BTW it is beige and the tips are knida brown its just the picture. If i did a closeup you could see it.

*anenome proof the power head or it can get sucked up in it

*hang on back

*a type of fish that is fed to saltwater animals - usually frozen section of pet store

10gallonnightmare

this anemone is freaking cool, its retrateced completely into its foot, wow I didnt know they could do that. I'm reallyimpressed with this pet. I'm gald I got him. I hope to prove you all wrong and post pics of this little sucker splitting in a few months. I'll even send you the little sucker for helping me out Angel.

10gal you will be fine. You have the balls to post and take the heat and learn from it without reacting like a spoiled child. I, for one, think you are cool stuff.

Grab a piece of sponge and wrap it around the filter or ph intakes. The reason is to cut off the slots that could suck the anemone in and make anemone soup and nuke your tank in the process. Rubber bands work ok to hold the sponge in place. You can cut to size etc. You want to keep the flow, but get rid of any hole for something to fit through.

Keep us posted!

Chris

PS there is a recent post about this happening... try and find it cause you def want to avoid the situation.

http://home.att.net/~karenssaltwater/wsb/h...eID-697114.html

Although a RBTA site, it has some good info and photo's for your intakes. The plastic mesh can be purchased from any craft store or Wal-mart for .29 - .50 a sheet. The silversides are pictured on there also. Although a different type of anenome, quite a bit of the info could apply to your condy.

Good luck! and like Chris, I respect someone who has the gonads to stay, get info and hopefully grow, instead of hiding or leaving.

Lets not forget the usual response of attacking like an ass.

10gal, don't take our advice about the intakes lightly, it is very important - a necessity - for keeping wandering anemones.

That link is excellent and applies well to your condy. Even the pro screwed up so learn from it.

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

That is the saddest looking anemone I've seen in a while..lol.  Seriously....that should be someone's avatar..I don't think I've ever seen a more awful looking anemone.  "Having a bad life?  Not half as bad as this guy......"

-Fred

Lol!

GJ on bringing him back to life tho.. Shows how resilient these animals are. He will love you for it :)

BTW, I've seen much worse at a LFS here in Cols.. I asked them once, "would you guys give me a deal on that so I can nurse it back to health?" He said, "we not in the business of selling dead animals".. I felt like smacking him.

Ok I agree watch your intakes he WILL get sucked up! I almost had a major accident with mine I just happened to catch it in time. He looks like he is doing great! He will shrink up, usually after you feed him and when you turn the lights out at night...good luck

holyherbiness
Originally posted by bgraber

I've seen much worse at a LFS here in Cols..  I asked them once, "would you guys give me a deal on that so I can nurse it back to health?"  He said, "we not in the business of selling dead animals"..  I felt like smacking him.

HAHAHAHAHA

BillyBlanko

all i`m doing really is helping you with the "proof that PH" comment .........this really is a MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i`m reminding you of this because it happened 2 me with my first nennie ...a buitifull white malu ...........let me tell you ....it didnt look buitifull when it was being literally minced by 1 of my PH`s ........these nennie`s can inflate with air then float around your tank ......he will float underneath your PH and get sucked up to the intake ......his tenticles will get sucked though the slats & get chopped to shreds and turned into pure AMMONIA !!!! <<<

hope my experiance`s help you so your nennie doesnt get FUBAR

scott

Archived