Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

*"*lgreen's Nano Pictures*"*

lgreen

hey i was just giving you crap. the close ups are nice but the tank has a long way to go.

the corals you are keeping are very hardy "beginner" corals, and to get good results with SPS and more difficult species of softies and fish you really need all the "crap" that you are so against. "it is totally unneccesary to have an awesome reef".........show me an AWESOME reef with your method and then maybe i will be convinced.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yah i plan to add lps and clams. i dont ever want anything to do with sps. i am just making sure everthing is good, before i add anything more exspensive.

i have nothing against sumps, or refugiums. In fact i have considered using them many times, and i think they are a good idea. i just want newbies to see that you can have a tank with out having to spend a whole tone of money at first. so many people get turned away from the hobby just because of the money.

i just think newbies get intimidated on this site by all the technology. they need to know the basics, and then they can add fancy stuff.

i may try a refugium too. i just have never needed one really.

i have been doing this for a long time, i am sure it will be fine. (this is only one of the many tanks i have kept)

i help maintain over 23 saltwater tanks.

i am adding the remora next week, and may add a fuge if needed, but i think everything will be fine.

Originally posted by lgreen

the small rock in the bottom center that has green stuff all over it, has about three different types of calurpa on it, and a bunch of yellow button polyps

thats also my maited pair of oc. clowns.  they both host anthelias  and the pink star polyp.  sometimes they like to be by themself, and they take turn with each other playing the anthelias and psp.  at night though, the both hang out in the anthelias (there origional home for about 1 year now.)

tank is about 3 weeks old, after complete renovation, so that is why coral is slightly lackin.  It will fill in quickly though.

Ok, you say you want to prove something to the newbs out there.Well it seems like you are a newb yourself if you throwing all these corals in after three weeks.I mean , you have some good corals ,but all I see is a tank where someone has gone out and bought some nice looking corals.Then takes a pic cause hes happy they have lived for 5 days or something.I could understand if this tank has been up for months or years and you are seeing growth and stability.Oh and btw that is the root motivation of our extra equipment of which you speak of.How can you prove stability with a 3 week old tank.Where are your specs?What does your ,nitrate,nitrite ect ect read?I mean cmon guy.If you were just posting pics then I wouldnt even say anything but when you are saying you are trying to prove some kind of point then back it up with some facts.Lets see how this tank is doing after it has made its six month mark.In a good tank the corals dont just live , they thrive.;)

Originally posted by lgreen

i have been doing this for a long time, i am sure it will be fine.  (this is only one of the many tanks i have kept)

i help maintain over 23 saltwater tanks.

i am adding the remora next week, and may add a fuge if needed, but i think everything will be fine.

Wow ,I hope you dont get paid for maintaining those tanks cause if you use the same pratices on them as you use on your own then I have to wonder if you have much repeat business:x .

Oh so I guess you were gonna prove that you could go all natural during what your cycle (first three weeks)?Do us and yourself a favor and get the remora and fuge and leave the points for something to put at the end of a sentence.:D

corriewf:

hold up a second with the attacks. exactly, you know nothing about my tank or my experience.

i have been doing saltwater for many years. and have run many tanks before.

the substrate in my tank, came from that tank, as it had been set up for 2 years before, and i decided to redo it w/ new live rock.

the substrate is live, and i used water from another established tank.

and actually they are thriving! hairy finger leather has doubled in size already. and zoos are spreading already.

I AM TIRED OF ALL THE KNOW-IT-ALLS ON THIS SITE!

shut up and worry about your own tank. if you all are so good then why are you wasting time on this site. i dont need your help.

also many of those corals in there have been alive for several years. they were in there before i redid it.

I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER F-ING THING ABOUT THIS...JUST ENJOY THE DAMN PICTURES

until my tank is dead, which that will never happen, because i am just that good, don't judge my practices or methods.

i have never killed a tank yet out of the over 23 that i have worked with.

thanks

lol, there's no hair algae in there because it hasn't had time to proliferate ;)

overconfidence can kill a reefer, or at least his corals.

none of my other tanks have refugiums or sumps.

i have nothing against skimmers, and use them all the time on reef tanks.

the substrate in my tank, came from that tank, as it had been set up for 2 years before, and i decided to redo it w/ new live rock.

Gee I wonder why you had to get new live rock ,could it have been that the ole natural method had teh old rock covered with algae so you had to start over?hmmm

and actually they are thriving! hairy finger leather has doubled in size already. and zoos are spreading already.

I doubt it as it probably shrunk and then reexpanded due to the acclimation to the lighting.But you probably already knew that.

AM TIRED OF ALL THE KNOW-IT-ALLS ON THIS SITE!

Sound like you are contradicting yourself. i.e

until my tank is dead, which that will never happen, because i am just that good, don't judge my practices or methods.

You make a nice example of that dont you.

shut up and worry about your own tank. if you all are so good then why are you wasting time on this site. i dont need your help.

Maybe you should take your own advice.Quit trying to make points that you cant back up with facts.

first, no, i got new live rock because the rock i had was too big for the tank, and i wanted to use nano size rock

"I doubt it as it probably shrunk and then reexpanded due to the acclimation to the lighting.But you probably already knew that."

---maybe, but that doesnt explain growth of many new zoo polyps

you can't prove i am wrong...

absolutc:

yah i know what you meen. sorry i knew the second i bashed the refugium and the sump, i would be in for trouble.

i wish everyone understood that there are many ways to do a tank. some people...

is there an echo or did i already say like 3 times, i have never had any hair algae. also i never really have any algae problems at all except occasionally a film of brown or green algae on the glass, which the snails take care of in a few hours.

Thats the end of the discussion. no more fighting. i will post pics in a few months and then you can all yell at me. until then all your acusations are just meaningless.

"." as in end of discussion.

I dont have to prove your wrong cause im not trying to prove a point.However you are trying to prove a point you need to back it up with facts not assume that we will take your word for it.

jeez corrie, and the rest. give it a break.

the natural method does work. it works well. I have been reefing since i was 10 years old (i'm 27 now) and have done nothing but the natural methods. I have never owned a skimmer in my life, and couldn't even tell you how to work one. I just now started doing fuges only because i have gorgs and want them to eat a healthy pod meal every day.

Keep in mind that two of the mods here are thesame way. So before you people start ragging on someone elses methods, just make sure you know what you are ragging on.

now i don't know lgreen. only talked to him once in pm for some frags. i have had to do quick start tanks, and they have run jsut fine. I have also had to transfer things from an old tank to a new tank and everything has run smoothly.

I think all of you have too much into this pissing contest. including lgreen :) But sho your pics dude. The tank looks good. I hope everything runs well.

The rest, calm down. if ya don't agree with his practice, rest well in the fact that you are doing what is best for your own tank.

i am only trying to show an example of how it can be done. sorry it was not my intention to prove anything, and i changed the wording in that first post, to ease the confusion.

i just want people to see a tank with out fancy equptment. it doent matter, even if you have a refugium, sump, kalk reactor, mh, ro/di unit, and what ever else, you could still have all the problems i have with out that stuff.

those things are just extra tools that make things easier, but are not required to have a tank.

people are too dependent on tech sometimes. i guess i have the time to do all the work myself though, and most others probably dont.

i am not arguing at all the effectivness of any product or method. just want to share my method, in which the person i learned it from, has had success with it for over 30 years.

thanks for your comment nanoamydee!

i swear like every site i go to, i get attacked for using the natural method.

ohwell.

I have nothing against the natural method.I just want him to elaborate on his methods.That is all I want.I know they can work with proper maintance.As I have done it myself! Like the old phrase there is a method to my maddness.Amy , the purpose of this site is to spread information and thats what ive been asking in my posts here.

Also you said that you had this tank up and running for 2 years before but wanted new live rock cause the rock was too big.Why is it all of a sudden too big?Look dont get mad and shut up just because someone is asking you for facts.I am not attacking you or having a pissing contest, but your posts come accross as if you are looking down at out tanks and that you are better then us.

wow interesting. first of all great tank shot it seems that your clown is hosting in your star polyp. also stfu and let the guy do his thing.(normaly i wouldn't do that but you guys really need to get a mute button or somthing) also i am just starting a saltwater and its going to have a skimmer but i would like it up and running asap. at my lfs you can buy water from them that they collecting legaly out in the country beach areas(australia) and its suposed to be full of plankton bacteria ect. i was wondering if it would help to start everything normaly but do water changes once a week with that water to help the tank mature and cycle. i am willing to do almost anything to help my tank mature/cycle quicker what do you recomend?

no not at all. i think some of you with sumps, and all the great stuff have really neat tanks. One of the best tanks i have ever seen in my life has a huge sump, kalk reactor, mh, and the whole nine yards. i feel in no way that i am better than anyone, that is the last of my intentions.

besides, refugiums are just neat to look at besides the fact that they do a great job of growing pods, and reducing nitrates.

like i said, i have even considered adding a sump or refugium.

i just feel sorry for the younger noobies on this site who just want to have a tank, and get so overwhelmed because they have everyone screaming buy this buy that at them.

what kind of specs do you want, i have no problem sharing any of them.

i absolutley in no way recommend in no way rushing anything. i also dont use anything like "bacteria starters", just buy good live rock, and give it plenty of time to do its thing.

the only reason i added corals like i did is because i watch the water parameters extremely closely, and have other tanks to move the coral back into if there is a problem.

DO NOT RUSH IT ALONG...I AM NOT SUPPORTING THAT IDEA/Method/ or am in no way suggesting that method with anything i have said or done myself.

I haven't run a sump, fuge or skimmer on any of mine since I started them. I do have a fuge, about 2", that I built in on my pico but that was to hide my pump because the tank is so small. I frag out of mine all of the time (especially that weed xenia). My corals do thrive and I have only lost invertebraes, murdered by those damned blue legs, since I started them (that I can recall at the moment). It is possible to have a successful system without those items, at least for me it has been.

i also dont recommend natural ocean water. i only, only, only use instant ocean synthetic salt. never will use anything else, or recommend anything else.

i dont know that using that natural water would speed anything along, but then again i have no experience w/ it so i dont know.

The basic specs will do, nitrates ,nitrites, ect ect.I think the main reason that the newbs are recommended to use this equipment is like you said it makes life easier.There are so many things in this hobby to keep up with that it can become overwelming to a new nano reefer.This equipment imho helps take some of the factors out of there hands and creates some stability in their tank.Kind of like comparing it to training wheels.No one just hops on a bike and starts riding.The same logic should apply here.

Archived