Pod Your Reef

freshwater chaetomorpha

amphipod

Ah nuts... I'll bite. For all the weird posts from time to time, Amphipod's telling us about something interesting he came across and by gum it actually is. Thanks Patback for some more background from your own experience.

Amphipod-

NEVER compare an object's properties to that of a type of person or ethnic group. Choose to compare it to another thing, instead. Otherwise (no matter how you intended it) someone WILL interpret it in the worst possible way and get offended either personally or on behalf of someone else. Every. Damn. Time.

It's just the kind of world we live in these days, and in online communities it's even more so as what you write is ALL anyone has to go one to infer your meaning.

To your point I usually describe chaetomorpha as "the brillo pad of the sea" or "like a dish scrubber". Gets the point across and to my knowledge nobody's ever taken offense. ;)

Ah nuts... I'll bite. For all the weird posts from time to time, Amphipod's telling us about something interesting he came across and by gum it actually is. Thanks Patback for some more background from your own experience.

Amphipod-

NEVER compare an object's properties to that of a type of person or ethnic group. Choose to compare it to another thing, instead. Otherwise (no matter how you intended it) someone WILL interpret it in the worst possible way and get offended either personally or on behalf of someone else. Every. Damn. Time.

It's just the kind of world we live in these days, and in online communities it's even more so as what you write is ALL anyone has to go one to infer your meaning.

To your point I usually describe chaetomorpha as "the brillo pad of the sea" or "like a dish scrubber". Gets the point across and to my knowledge nobody's ever taken offense. ;)

My issue is that in this case there is nothing to infer. He specifically compared the algae to a racial stereotype and then admitted that he knew it would be racist to state it, but wanted to make it clear that he wasn't meaning it in a racist way. It's still racist. The fact that amphipod also then claims I'm overreacting and that it's not a problem IS a problem. It's really not ok to speak like that.

and i never said that it wasn't going to be racist, i recognized the racist nature of the comment before i ever posted it, but i did not want people to be focousing on the racist aspect of the comment.

Amphipod-

I am definitely going to keep this in mind for future reference. I guess I'll pay more attention to the finer details of "political correctness " while posting something

Cladophora?

I don't think so, cladophora is too fine textured, and branches too much, there was little to no branching on these strands.

I found algae which has the texture and appearance of a nylon dish scrubber pad. Sort of like coarse kinky hair.

iStock_000004687748XSmall.jpg

you see the algae simply didn't have enough resemblance to the scrubbing pad for me to even consider that to describe it, this reinforces my point.

Hey I understand what your trying to convey, though you may not be racist it's just not polite or correct any ways to compare algae texture to a specific race. And I think you got off easy so I'd say you learned and you'll keep it in mind before some one with an actual problem with it does take offense. Just trying to save my self from seeing you get flamed or banned on here. Enoughs enough of race ,Any ways with the algae you gonna get some pictures

Hey I understand what your trying to convey, though you may not be racist it's just not polite or correct any ways to compare algae texture to a specific race. And I think you got off easy so I'd say you learned and you'll keep it in mind before some one with an actual problem with it does take offense. Just trying to save my self from seeing you get flamed or banned on here. Enoughs enough of race ,Any ways with the algae you gonna get some pictures

pictures will be hard to get at the time, like I said earlier it disintegrated, so I probably will have to go back to the stream at grandpas house, then get it again. I don't know the next time I'll get this opportunity. Sorry
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks all for patience, I got a new sample of this stuff, hasn't decomposed yet, but I seen that where the other batch decomposed, new filaments are reforming, they are like 1/8 of an inch long.

2015-08-31.jpg2015-08-31.jpg

thanks all for patience, I got a new sample of this stuff, hasn't decomposed yet, but I seen that where the other batch decomposed, new filaments are reforming, they are like 1/8 of an inch long.

2015-08-31.jpg

Very cool! It would be AWESOME to have a freashwater refugium. In fact, id love to have one in the 300g cichlid tank haha- just something that can deal with 1.010 salinity

Does it feel slimy? Maybe it's a coarse spirogyra?

no, not slimy, anyways coarse spirogyra wouldn't be possible because the nature of the filament, each filament of Spirogyra is a single cell in diameter, I haven't put this under a microscope but I'm almost certain each strand of this stuff is multiple cells through the diameter.

Very cool! It would be AWESOME to have a freashwater refugium. In fact, id love to have one in the 300g cichlid tank haha- just something that can deal with 1.010 salinity

what are you waiting for? Do it.

Archived