inTank Media Baskets

blkhwkz JBJ RL-45

blkhwkz

Damn, that sucks! Do a couple small water changes if possible, maybe like 1-2 gallons each every 2-3 hours, this will help a lot. Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too! Making some RODI water now and going to work on some small water changes. Starfish has moved so it is half on the glass, half on the sand. Mouth looks ok still just the tips of 2 arms so I am hoping that is the extent of the damage. Things don't appear to be getting worse so that's a good sign.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replacement pearly jawfish almost done drip acclimating. My wife asked the LFS if they were really going to let me kill another one :angry: It has been quarantined there for over 2 weeks and was fine so if this one dies, I just have the worst luck with them. Had them make me a 2 polyp frag of Bowser palys. Definitely not the CB bowsers (and also not the super high price tag of those.)

Starfish seems to be doing okay, the damage on the 2 arms has not gotten any worse and it is moving around the tank. Unfortunately at some point soon they are going to have to replace the electric pole the car hit and power will be out for however long that takes. Luckily we got some snow and ice yesterday so I don't think that repair is happening this week.

Replacement pearly jawfish almost done drip acclimating. My wife asked the LFS if they were really going to let me kill another one :angry: It has been quarantined there for over 2 weeks and was fine so if this one dies, I just have the worst luck with them. Had them make me a 2 polyp frag of Bowser palys. Definitely not the CB bowsers (and also not the super high price tag of those.)

Starfish seems to be doing okay, the damage on the 2 arms has not gotten any worse and it is moving around the tank. Unfortunately at some point soon they are going to have to replace the electric pole the car hit and power will be out for however long that takes. Luckily we got some snow and ice yesterday so I don't think that repair is happening this week.

Sounds like he will make it! Just keep good stable water parameters and within time he'll be a-ok. Nice score! I haven't really been keeping up with my tank. It's still up, everything is thriving just kind of slacking. Maybe pick up a small generator, or even get a small solar panel and run your tank off of it, amazon has them cheap with excellent reviews. I'm tempted to get one myself!

Sounds like he will make it! Just keep good stable water parameters and within time he'll be a-ok. Nice score! I haven't really been keeping up with my tank. It's still up, everything is thriving just kind of slacking. Maybe pick up a small generator, or even get a small solar panel and run your tank off of it, amazon has them cheap with excellent reviews. I'm tempted to get one myself!

Pearly was doing great last night, buried itself and came out to eat. Was fine this morning during my water change. Spent the last 6 hours at the ER with my wife and came home to find it attached to the MP40. I don't get it, the only fish I have issues with are jawfish. Ran water tests and everything is normal, checked the new water before I changed it today and it was fine.

Glad to hear you left your tank up and things are still thriving :)

• 3 weeks later...

Went downstairs this morning and noticed an issue with the tank I can't figure out. With the cold Chicagoland weather we are having, usually I need to top off about 1/2 a gallon each morning or a little more. This morning it looked like there was no water missing from the pump chamber that I always fill. I noticed that the tank water level is lower than usual and watching the grates where the water goes to the media baskets the water is trickling and not flowing like usual. I checked both MJ1200's, one had a few snails stuck to the intake. I figured the snails were causing the issue. Took both pumps out and cleaned them really well and gave them a vinegar bath. Used a nylon brush to clean out all the crap in the hoses too. Put them back in and same thing. Took both out, put the stock pumps into the tank and same thing. Took the locline off and cleaned them thoroughly even though they appeared to be pretty clean. Checked the 3 intake holes on the bottom of the 2 media basket chambers and the pump chamber and all are clear and can feel water moving through them. Added a half gallon of water directly to the display and all it did was make the pump chamber water level rise. Also pulled both media baskets to see if that changed anything and it didn't.

Can't figure out why the water level won't rise in the display area. Everything was fine when I went to bed last night. The water trickling to the media baskets makes it pretty much miss the filter floss as there is not enough flow for it to reach.

Can't figure out why the water level won't rise in the display area. Everything was fine when I went to bed last night. The water trickling to the media baskets makes it pretty much miss the filter floss as there is not enough flow for it to reach.

I had the same issue where the display level dropped a cm or so and it bothered me. I cleaned both pumps and noticed one was still putting out significantly less flow that the other, after replacing it with a new pump the problem was solved.

I had the same issue where the display level dropped a cm or so and it bothered me. I cleaned both pumps and noticed one was still putting out significantly less flow that the other, after replacing it with a new pump the problem was solved.

Yea I keep thinking it has to be something with 1 of the pumps.

I have 2 brand new MJ1200 sitting here, 1 in a tank I am cycling now. Tried both of those and same thing so guess it's not the pumps. No matter which I use they just dont' seem to be pumping as much water out of the pump chamber as usual. Makes no sense,

The front of the stand has always been slightly off level. It looks like now it is even more off level and might be causing some of this issue. Doesn't look like it has changed a lot though. Going to have to make a plan to drain it most of the way and try and shim the stand. If nothing else, once it is level I can rule that out as causing an issue.

Think my plan is going to be to drain most of the water into a Brute can, get the fish in there with a small powerhead to keep the water oxygenated and a heater. Get the stand shimmed and then get the water and fish back in the tank. Hoping I can get away with doing this while leaving just a small amount of water for the crabs and snails, along with the rock, coral, and sand in the tank. Also hoping doing all that does not stress the fish and coral to much. Probably take some of the coral not mounted to the rock (scoly, cynarina, leathers, torch) and move that to a container also. Considering how crappy this JBJ stand is, not sure how confident I am it will hold up to doing this. At the same time, having extra weight on the front of the stand with it off level is probably not good either.

Today is water change Wednesday, went to the store and got some shims for the stand. Changed my plan and just drained the tank about 65% while leaving everything in it. Pushed the stand back, had my wife slide the shims in under the front feet of the stand until it was level. Then added the new water from water change and pumped the rest of the water back in. The flow to the media baskets is even better than it used to be.

Fish were a little pissed as were some of the SPS but everything is looking back to normal 30 minutes later.

I noticed this morning the starfish was in the back of the tank not looking good. Apparently my water level issue is from a seam against the back false wall has broken. I can feel the water pulling through the broken seam. The starfish was caught in that and is not looking so good. One arm almost completely gone. I've moved it back to the front of the tank and has started moving so that's a good sign. I noticed JBJ warranty is 6 months and the tank is just over 6 months old. Guess I'll be calling JBJ in a few hours.

Just talked to JBJ and they are sending me the warranty form. They said tank warranty is 1 year. First time I have dealt with their customer service and so far no complaints at all. I have to return the form along with pictures and then they will send me a new tank when the RMA is approved. Waiting on Drs Foster & Smith to send me a copy of my order since it's not showing in my account.

Not looking forward to having to switch this tank out. This will be the first tank swap I have had to do with a reef tank. Hoping I don't kill anything with a possible mini cycle. I have a bottle of Prime sitting here and might grab a bottle of Dr Tim's bacteria just for added bacteria during the change over to lessen any mini cycle issues. Some of the base rock is directly on the glass and has coral attached to it and growing on it so going to have to get that in, get the sand in quickly and then water. The pom pom crab only comes out at night and I have no idea where he hides during the day, finding him will be an adventure.

So JBJ is processing my replacement and will ship me a new tank with a new 1 year warranty in the next 7-10 business days. Their customer service has been great and really easy to work with.

WP_20160127_08_45_37_Pro.jpg

JBJ doesn't play around, the replacement tank has already been picked up for freight shipment. Says possible delivery on Wednesday. Also say 188 pounds when the tank is about 80 so not sure why all the extra weight listed on the freight company tracking.

Replacement tank left California yesterday and is in IL today, being delivered tomorrow by the freight company. As long as there are no issues with the replacement tank, should be making the swap out Friday night.

JBJ doesn't play around, the replacement tank has already been picked up for freight shipment. Says possible delivery on Wednesday. Also say 188 pounds when the tank is about 80 so not sure why all the extra weight listed on the freight company tracking.

JBJ is sweet. I had a wicked heater failure due to a malfunction that nuked a tank, they sent the RL-45 with stand as compensation.

Hey blkhwkz, I am taking down my 45 soon enough so if you are interested in any accesories- skimmer, baskets, etc let me know

Replacement tank arrived and looks good. Haven't taken the plastic off it yet to give it a better inspection, but no obvious issues with it. Once I change them out I am going to have to look and see if I can just silicon the false wall and fix the original tank.

Going to start the tank swap later today. I was going to re-use this sand since it is only 6 months old, but was worried it might cause a cycle/ammonia spike. Last time I used a bag of Fiji pink and a bag of special grade reef. This time I think I am going to try the natural reef with the larger particles. Maybe the MP40 won't cause such a sand storm while the sand bed settles. If 2 bags of that is not enough I will mix in some special grade with it that I have sitting here. Mixed up about 15 gallons of new water, the rest will be existing water from the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Some quick (and not very good) cell phone pics today. Need to get some more nice DSLR pics done. Everything is still alive and doing great since the tank swap. I really like this CaribSea natural reef sand more than the Fiji pink and special grade reef sand I had in here before the swap.

IMG_20160215_110334.jpg

IMG_20160215_110339.jpg

IMG_20160215_110144.jpg

IMG_20160215_110000.jpg

Leaving today on a business trip until late Friday night. Wife has been left with 2 pages of directions for taking care of the tanks. Hopefully when I get home everything is still alive and doing good.

Some quick (and not very good) cell phone pics today. Need to get some more nice DSLR pics done. Everything is still alive and doing great since the tank swap. I really like this CaribSea natural reef sand more than the Fiji pink and special grade reef sand I had in here before the swap.

IMG_20160215_110334.jpg

IMG_20160215_110339.jpg

IMG_20160215_110144.jpg

IMG_20160215_110000.jpg

Awesomeness :)

My wife did an awesome job taking care of the tanks and keeping me updated. My Sunny D's are no more, but they had been stung by the torch before I left so I had a feeling they wouldn't make it. Turbo snail decided to push them into each other. No big deal, going to try and meet a guy tomorrow to get another frag. She sent me pics of the lyretail looking like it had pop eye, but it seems to be better now. Eye is still a little messed up, not nearly as bad as it was on Tuesday.

Now if my mother-in-law doesn't kill anything when we are gone the end of next month for 4-5 days, that will be a small miracle.

Archived