Cultivated Reef

blkhwkz JBJ RL-45

blkhwkz

Hope it looks fine soon...

Thanks, cynarina is looking really good last few days now. Added a midas blenny last night that is settling in. My neon toadstool leather has not liked my new light schedule and been closed a few days. The other leather was shedding 2 weeks ago and still hasn't opened back up yet. Went back to my original light settings, and reduced brightness, to see if that is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cynarina been receding the last few days. I fed it Saturday night, but last night it really wasn't extending like usual after lights out. Water parameters are same as usual.

Phosphate .003 (I have the ultra low range tester)

Nitrates 0 on API kit, have NYOS kit coming

Calcium 420

Alk 9

I have 3 fish coming from Divers Den tomorrow and been feeding the tank twice a day. I'm curious to see if the NYOS kit will show 0 as well. I know the API kit is working since it shows nitrates in my other tank. Everything else looks good. Some of the zoas are stretching for more light, but that's because when I changed back to my original light schedule I put it on acclimation mode for 5 weeks.

Got a bottle of purple-up free at MACNA so used that for calcium dosing until it ran out just because it was sitting here. For the last 2 weeks there is coralline algae growing on the glass now, little spots on some rocks. There is a 5lb live rock covered with it I had put in the tank when I set it up so I am sure that helped seed things.

IMG_20151019_140822.jpg

I am starting to think maybe the torch stung the cynarina. Thought they were far enough apart (and moved them a bit further) since I never saw the torch expand that close. The left side by the torch seems to be receding, but the right side and the rest is still kind of puffy. Definitely not the way it had been, but not as bad as the left.

IMG_20151019_140822.jpg

I am starting to think maybe the torch stung the cynarina. Thought they were far enough apart (and moved them a bit further) since I never saw the torch expand that close. The left side by the torch seems to be receding, but the right side and the rest is still kind of puffy. Definitely not the way it had been, but not as bad as the left.

I Think you're spot on... looks like stress from being stung. He'll be a-ok within time and feedings!

I Think you're spot on... looks like stress from being stung. He'll be a-ok within time and feedings!

Looking a bit better today, a section on the left still receding, but overall better than yesterday. Got my Divers Den order today:

• Yellowhead Jawfish (not as nice as the blue spotted but those are $137 from them and this was much much less. Hoping with their extensive quarantine process this one will not end up like the blue spot I bought from the LFS)
  • ORA hybrid cleaner goby (mated pair)
  • Porcelain crab

They had a really nice trio of blue reef chromis they put up a few hours after my order. Would have gladly swapped the goby pair for them, but they sold before I could call and ask. No big deal as their FAQ says they won't let you change after you order.

The one goby was not looking to good during the 60+ minute drip acclimation I always do. Now it seems fine and is all over the tank with the other one. Jawfish dug itself a nice hole to hide in. Can't locate the porcelain crab. He took off running after I placed him on a rock, and the neon dottyback tried to pick on him.

Also got the NYOS nitrate test kit today. Going to test with it and API. Despite the API always showing 0 I don't believe there is really 0 or I think I would see some other issues. I did accidentally leave the skimmer off for 12 hours after feeding last night so maybe I will see something measurable on the API today.

The torch might have been sending out sweepers when you weren't looking. They can get pretty long.

Yea, I forgot about the sweepers and I didn't realize how quick the torch was growing until I saw it extended yesterday. I have a rough plan in case I need to move some stuff around to avoid this happening again.

Looking a bit better today, a section on the left still receding, but overall better than yesterday. Got my Divers Den order today:

• Yellowhead Jawfish (not as nice as the blue spotted but those are $137 from them and this was much much less. Hoping with their extensive quarantine process this one will not end up like the blue spot I bought from the LFS)
  • ORA hybrid cleaner goby (mated pair)
  • Porcelain crab

They had a really nice trio of blue reef chromis they put up a few hours after my order. Would have gladly swapped the goby pair for them, but they sold before I could call and ask. No big deal as their FAQ says they won't let you change after you order.

The one goby was not looking to good during the 60+ minute drip acclimation I always do. Now it seems fine and is all over the tank with the other one. Jawfish dug itself a nice hole to hide in. Can't locate the porcelain crab. He took off running after I placed him on a rock, and the neon dottyback tried to pick on him.

Also got the NYOS nitrate test kit today. Going to test with it and API. Despite the API always showing 0 I don't believe there is really 0 or I think I would see some other issues. I did accidentally leave the skimmer off for 12 hours after feeding last night so maybe I will see something measurable on the API today.

Yea, I forgot about the sweepers and I didn't realize how quick the torch was growing until I saw it extended yesterday. I have a rough plan in case I need to move some stuff around to avoid this happening again.

Pics pics pics!!! Love to see the paired gobys. I also bought the nitrate and phosphate test kit from NYOS. I don't know many people who use them, but my variance of readings are way off compared to API. API nitrates tested at 40ppm and NYOS was ~12-15. API doesn't expire until 2017 either, practically new. I'm done with the API. I use salifert for CA/ALK/Mag. Let me know if you get different readings so we can assure that API is off. Although you may have low nitrates, and get the exact readings. Get on it!! haha

Pics pics pics!!! Love to see the paired gobys. I also bought the nitrate and phosphate test kit from NYOS. I don't know many people who use them, but my variance of readings are way off compared to API. API nitrates tested at 40ppm and NYOS was ~12-15. API doesn't expire until 2017 either, practically new. I'm done with the API. I use salifert for CA/ALK/Mag. Let me know if you get different readings so we can assure that API is off. Although you may have low nitrates, and get the exact readings. Get on it!! haha

Best I could do with some quick cell pics, little suckers are swimming like maniacs right now:

IMG_20151020_151820.jpg

IMG_20151020_151628.jpg

And yea I really need to use the magfloat on that side of the glass before the water change :)

Jawfish is buried and hiding. Might be a few days before I can get some pics of that one.

Very cool additions! Your corals are looking great as well, zoas have some nice color. Solid! Next.... NYOS test!

Finally got around to it, NYOS results looked to be a 1. API was still yellow, but API low end is 5 so maybe that is why. On another note tested my phosphates and those are usually .003 to .006, today they are .046. Going to see if I can get those a little lower again. Between leaving the skimmer off 12 hours and feeding more that probably explains that. Need to cut down a bit on the food, still twice a day just smaller amounts.

Figured out the cynarina issue and it was not stung by the torch apparently. I was doing my weekly water change this morning and noticed it was all puffy and probably about 90% the size it used to be. Soon as I finished and turned all the pumps and stuff on I noticed the left side deflated, the rest was fine. Shut off the MP40, puffed back up. So even though the MP40 is only set to 35% reef crest, and has been since the cynarina was put in the tank, it clearly was getting to much flow. Tried to put a rock on the left and that didn't help. Ended up moving it in between my rock structure on the left. Once it was not pissed off from me moving it, it has started to regain it's size and shape again. Hopefully where it's at will work now. I know an MP40 is overkill, but I got a deal at the LFS I couldn't pass up to buy that over an MP10.

Maybe I should have just stuck with the Jebao's I have :)

Cynarina ate last night and is back to normal today in it's new location. Seems to have definitely been the flow that was aggravating it. Starting to wonder if the new yellowhead jawfish didn't make it. Soon as I put it in the tank it burrowed as expected. Yesterday after the water change I saw it almost poke it's head out before hiding again. Haven't seen it since. I have fed the tank a few times, even squirted some food and selcon today in the general area I last saw it. Unfortunately the rock it chose to burrow is the biggest one and also is sitting on the bottom of the tank directly with sand surrounding it. No way for me to lift it and check to see if it comes out without messing up a lot of things. I would think by now it would at least have been hungry enough to come out and get some food. The blue dot one I had always had its head out during the day. If this one doesn't make it, no more jawfish for me. Was hoping with the extensive QT process for Divers Den i would have better luck this time. Everything else I got the other day is doing great.

Good to hear, that'll do it. My plate fungia leaned to a side when the flow hit him too much or was too directional... Guess I should've thought of that! Sorry to hear about the Jaw, maybe he's just hiding. lets hope the sand didn't move a bit and smash him =(

Somtimes they will go into hiding if they feel threatened as well, so lets not jump to any conclusions yet!

Glad to hear you figured out the cynarina. Fingers crossed for the jawfish. Maybe all of the activity with the coral moves and WC have it freaked out. Don't give up hope yet.

Best I could do with some quick cell pics, little suckers are swimming like maniacs right now:

IMG_20151020_151820.jpg

IMG_20151020_151628.jpg

And yea I really need to use the magfloat on that side of the glass before the water change :)

Jawfish is buried and hiding. Might be a few days before I can get some pics of that one.

There are a lot of colorful fish in there! Nice.

There are a lot of colorful fish in there! Nice.

Thanks, I try to keep a colorful variety.

The porcelain crab from divers den died, got a no questions asked refund. Already had a porcelain crab in here that does great and has molted so guess this one just didn't recover from shipping stress. It had been hiding in a hole in a rock for days. There was still no sign of the jawfish this morning, but then a few minutes ago I got home from errands and there it is spitting sand everywhere. Hopefully tonight it decides to eat when I feed the tank again.

I'm officially giving up on jawfish. First the one from LFS made it 2.5 weeks, then the next one from Divers Den made it less than 2 weeks. The divers den one only came out once after hiding and looked horrible since it had not been eating. Found it attached to the MP40 this morning. Figured with it being from divers den and their extensive quarantine process that this one might last longer than the one from the LFS.

Started dosing a little bit of nitrates. NYOS test was between 0-1 depending on the day. I had been feeding a little heavy for a few weeks to see if that would raise them and all it did was raise phosphates from .006 to .09. Trying to lower those slowly down to .03 or less and keep nitrates close to 2.

Some random pics my wife took with her dslr

_DSC5195.jpg

_DSC5210.jpg

_DSC5196.jpg_DSC5198.jpg_DSC5258.jpg_DSC5199.jpg_DSC5264.jpg

_DSC5202.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Updated first post with new FTS. Took these with camera phone and no editing or color tweaking yesterday. Not nearly as nice as the DSLR pics, but I will get some of those soon. Finally got around to mounting the rest of the frags that were on the frag rack a couple of days ago and getting the frag rack out of the tank.

WP_20151121_17_20_48_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151121_17_20_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20151121_17_21_36_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151121_17_21_44_Pro_LI.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a reef store last night I hadn't gotten a chance to checkout yet. My wife is more into the different inverts than anything else. They had some large scarlet crabs and then some of the largest nesarius snails I've seen. So I ended up getting 1 of each for her. Snapped a few pics of the nesarius out and about a little while ago.

WP_20151201_13_27_51_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151201_13_39_17_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151201_13_40_26_Pro_LI.jpg

Just had the weirdest fish death I've ever had. Apparently one of the bonded pair of cleaner gobies got in the overflow when I had pumps shut off feeding the tank. About an hour after feeding I noticed it missing and shut off the pumps to try and find it and get it out of there. Couldn't find it anywhere until a few minutes later my wife noticed it was hanging out of the return nozzle. Head was stuck in the nozzle. Not sure how it made it through the MJ1200 in one piece and then up the hose and the 90 degree elbow that feeds into the nozzle.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the lfs yesterday for salt and some other stuff. Walked out with a red marble starfish, and even though I have no luck with jawfish, got a deal on a pearly so grabbed that too. Did my usual 2 hour drip acclimation and added both to the tank. Get up this morning and the jawfish is dead. I have the worst luck with them, not sure why I even tried a 3rd time. Anything else I put in there is fine, blue dot jawfish lasted longer than the 2 pearly I have tried. As much as I like jawfish I am done for good with them.

Have you tested your LFS water to see how much different it is than yours, salinity etc? Maybe you need a longer acclimation period... Something is off, and to my knowledge they're hardy fish... Other than the pump which is a freak-accident, which I am sorry to hear about, losing fish sucks! You have some nice photos there, how's that anthias doing?

Have you tested your LFS water to see how much different it is than yours, salinity etc? Maybe you need a longer acclimation period... Something is off, and to my knowledge they're hardy fish... Other than the pump which is a freak-accident, which I am sorry to hear about, losing fish sucks! You have some nice photos there, how's that anthias doing?

Lyretail anthias is doing great, grabbed a female bartlett anthias the same day as the pearly. Really nice looking fish and that one is doing good too. Talked to the LFS the next and they have another pearly they are keeping for a few weeks to monitor before they give it to me as a replacement. Probably get it next week if the frag I had them make is healed and ready to go.

Last night a car hit an electric pole by my house, had no power for 3 hours. Since I don't have this tank on a UPS or any battery backup, I ran an extension cord to the garage and ran the MP40 off an inverter in the car. Everything seems to be doing ok except the starfish. I think the parameters changed to much over those 3 hours. 2 of the arms have small amounts of deterioration on them that were not there the morning before this happened. Hoping it just stays to those as they can regrow. Going to have to watch it for the next few days and see what happens. As long as everything stays stable I am hoping it will be ok. The only problem is they are using an electric company truck to hold the pole up temporarily. I am sure we are going to lose power again when they get around to replacing the pole.

Lyretail anthias is doing great, grabbed a female bartlett anthias the same day as the pearly. Really nice looking fish and that one is doing good too. Talked to the LFS the next and they have another pearly they are keeping for a few weeks to monitor before they give it to me as a replacement. Probably get it next week if the frag I had them make is healed and ready to go.

Last night a car hit an electric pole by my house, had no power for 3 hours. Since I don't have this tank on a UPS or any battery backup, I ran an extension cord to the garage and ran the MP40 off an inverter in the car. Everything seems to be doing ok except the starfish. I think the parameters changed to much over those 3 hours. 2 of the arms have small amounts of deterioration on them that were not there the morning before this happened. Hoping it just stays to those as they can regrow. Going to have to watch it for the next few days and see what happens. As long as everything stays stable I am hoping it will be ok. The only problem is they are using an electric company truck to hold the pole up temporarily. I am sure we are going to lose power again when they get around to replacing the pole.

Damn, that sucks! Do a couple small water changes if possible, maybe like 1-2 gallons each every 2-3 hours, this will help a lot. Merry Christmas!

Archived