Pod Your Reef

ISO:Micro brittle stars

Merthynia

USPS never fails to disappoint! Box was run over, 2 stars lived. It's supposed to be flat rate service, not flat box service.

It's still a good data point that they survived the shipping method (if not the drive-by).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stars from Mike that didn't get run down by a runaway postal truck did survive. Water was in the lows 70s probably. So no problem there. I've had issues with UPS before but never USPS until now. So the trial was successful. Ish. lol

*edit*

Can't say for certain it was run over. But it was flat. So unless someone sat on it or dropped something on it the box got run over. lol. It was dirty and nearly destroyed.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want some but my mail lady is terrible and after a few complaints, I feel like she's doing shit on purpose now. We started complaining because she would get out of her truck, walk past our mailbox and leave envelopes on our front porch. Wtf.... Only once out of the like 15 times she done this did we have a package to be brought to the door. Never did she try to weigh the mail down so it wouldn't blow all around the yard (happened a few times). I just don't know if I can trust the post office to bring me live animals anymore.

I've got some more if anyone wants to try. The insulated box I made up for Merth was a bit of a hassle but it sounds like if the weather's decent, a small flat rate box would work. Could add some bubble wrap for extra security.

If you have any stomatellae to trade that'd be cool.

These were all hand plucked.. the bottle trap didn't do much. I need more potent bait... might try a turkey baster to get some too. Probably have about 50 stars easily. Let me get supplies for shippin.

Mike,

How are you storing them in your tank? I am trying to catch some for Kat and set them aside as I catch them. I have an endless amount of brittle stars in 1 of my tanks (they actually recently spawned too), but I haven't come up up with an easy way to store them for her until the next time I see her.

Mike,

How are you storing them in your tank? I am trying to catch some for Kat and set them aside as I catch them. I have an endless amount of brittle stars in 1 of my tanks (they actually recently spawned too), but I haven't come up up with an easy way to store them for her until the next time I see her.

I'm back to the drawing board on that one. I had been using a bottle trap but they all died. The ones I sent to braaap were likely the fortunate ones that crawled out of the trap and back into the chaeto ball. I thought about a breeder net, but they're so fragile and they'll be near impossible to get off the fabric.

I just got my stars in from GTi, they were in transit for 4 days. I didn't have a single dead star in the box, and it appeared that most of them had split during transit. I think these guys are hardy enough that shipping priority will be just fine. :)

Mike,

Stocking tied in a knot.

Mike,

Go to petsmart or Petco and get one of those small mesh hang on breeder box things. It's a rigid plastic frame with mesh sides and bottom and clips to the top of your tank. Couple bucks.

I just got my stars in from GTi, they were in transit for 4 days. I didn't have a single dead star in the box, and it appeared that most of them had split during transit. I think these guys are hardy enough that shipping priority will be just fine. :)

Unless they are run over.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want some but my mail lady is terrible and after a few complaints, I feel like she's doing shit on purpose now. We started complaining because she would get out of her truck, walk past our mailbox and leave envelopes on our front porch. Wtf.... Only once out of the like 15 times she done this did we have a package to be brought to the door. Never did she try to weigh the mail down so it wouldn't blow all around the yard (happened a few times). I just don't know if I can trust the post office to bring me live animals anymore.

I've discovered the issue. My mail person has been replaced. It is some young kid who can't even wear the uniform. He wears basketball shorts and Beats headphones. -_-

Could try again with hold for pickup this time. I'm not worried about the 5 bucks :) Catching them is a late night affair, but they are literally everywhere. Maybe I could try a siphon and suck em out before they slither back into their little holes.

Could try again with hold for pickup this time. I'm not worried about the 5 bucks :) Catching them is a late night affair, but they are literally everywhere. Maybe I could try a siphon and suck em out before they slither back into their little holes.

Ya I'd be down for next week. Although I think you could have it delivered to my place. It was a fluke I'm sure but he doesn't seem to like his job too much haha. I can cover it no problem.

Wonder if I should have filed a insurance claim against them..... hahaha

I'll work on catchin them out of the tank. Majority of them will stay in the chaeto ball. It's really easy to grab them later that way.

and I'll stuff the box with some styrofoam this time instead of the paper wads.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright folks, I've received an inquiry for some of my stars.
My biggest issue is my extreme lack of free time, for example I've prepared water for a water change and it's been mixing since Sunday so I've yet to find time to do my water change haha.

With that being said, I already told my buyer that in order for me to carve some time out from my work schedule I'd like to get a healthy batch together and ship all in one day so here are the details;

$10 gets you 10 stars in a small ball of chaeto and whatever pods come with it. Priority mail flat rate.

I need 50 stars worth of orders before I ship, 20 have been promised so once I hit 50 stars ordered I'll collect them & ship.

Lemme know who wants some :)

Alright, got enough orders in to ship some of these stars out, I still have to stop by my LFS & grab some bags so I'm shooting for Wednesday, meanwhile anyone else need stars please let me know and here are a few pics of what I have. That's my index finger for size reference...

IMG_20150926_152616.jpg

IMG_20150926_152652.jpg

Hi everyone,

I think I PMed all interested parties & sent them my paypal info. If I missed anyone please let me know.

Anyone else interested? I'm going to try to ship all the packages tomorrow or thursday morning.

Thanks,

Fidel

Hi everyone,

I think I PMed all interested parties & sent them my paypal info. If I missed anyone please let me know.

Anyone else interested? I'm going to try to ship all the packages tomorrow or thursday morning.

Thanks,

Fidel

If it's not to late I would like to get some.

Hi folks,

I noticed a few of you are on the east coast, and I don't want to take a gamble with 2 day priority in case packages don't arrive on saturday.

If you are more than a couple states over I really don't feel comfortable shipping tomorrow morning and would rather send the longer distance packages Monday. My original plan was to have dropped them off this morning but my work schedule did not allow.

Anyone willing to wait let me know, anyone who paid & can't wait I'd be more than happy to refund. I'll PM whoever I don't hear back from.

If you guys are all okay with Monday morning than that would make my life much easier since I won't have to have 2 separate packing sessions.

I have 10 boxes & 30 LFS bags :D

UPDATE:
Everyone so far is on board with shipping Monday morning and since I have time I figured I'd share some details;

Every batch will be triple bagged and placed in small priority mail boxes, I was paranoid last night about shipping time and amount of packages to send (I think we're at 10 orders or something) so I've got to find & count at least 100 stars this weekend.

Based on the amount of Stars sold I'm going to have to cut it off here no more stars for now...

My current plan is to bag all orders & float them late Sunday night then print all labels & stick them on the boxes so they're ready, come Monday morning I will box all the bags and head to work and drop everything off at USPS on my way. There is an exception for a couple of you who are affected by the hurricane, these individuals have chosen to wait till Tuesday so the packages don't fly/wash away in the storm omgomgomg

Archived