inTank Media Baskets

Newtybar's 65g 5ft Long and Shallow

Newtybar

The blue hippo tang is depressed after losing his fickle buddies to the nem and I have no idea what to do...

Just mopes around for an hour then crawls back into its crevice and stays there...basically staying in bed all day.

Man what a cool tank, it's like a massive version of my 12G long. Would you mind posting a pic of your sump area? And how do you like the Reef Octopus 110EXT? I was considering picking one up for my 12 if I add a 15G sump.

For the tang have you considered adding an open water fish? Maybe something like a dwarf angel or a smaller tang like a bristletooth for it to be buddies with?

• Like 1

Man what a cool tank, it's like a massive version of my 12G long. Would you mind posting a pic of your sump area? And how do you like the Reef Octopus 110EXT? I was considering picking one up for my 12 if I add a 15G sump.

For the tang have you considered adding an open water fish? Maybe something like a dwarf angel or a smaller tang like a bristletooth for it to be buddies with?

Hey Halo - here are pics of my sump area...still in the process of cleaning everything up and making it nice and tidy....I think something also must have happend since my skimmer kind of overflowed.

23394164922_ca99c67fbc_b.jpg

23476532316_04a9286759_b.jpg

• Like 3

Got myself a gold torch and a bright yellow torch - pictures don't do the yellow justice (looks much more yellow even in 1:1 lighting). The gold doesn't really turn gold unless the lights are actinic heavy.

23635072036_16941d5bc7_h.jpg

• Like 3

Hey bud, excellent tank!

I wanted to ask about your Blue Tang. I am planning on getting a tank for one, but many say 220 gal minimum etc. my house can't have such a heavy tank (220 gal = 1.2 tons), your tank dimensions look awesome. Do you have plans of moving him when he grows or do you think he will be fine in there when he matures?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hey bud, excellent tank!

I wanted to ask about your Blue Tang. I am planning on getting a tank for one, but many say 220 gal minimum etc. my house can't have such a heavy tank (220 gal = 1.2 tons), your tank dimensions look awesome. Do you have plans of moving him when he grows or do you think he will be fine in there when he matures?

Cheers!

Hey - thanks! Mine is pretty small and actually hasn't grown much during the year that I've had it. When it gets too large for the tank a few years from now, I will probably relocate it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a shoal of red spot cardinals...I know some people don't like them since they look like tetras, but I really wanted a shoal of fish.

I bought six, there were only five in the morning.

Here are some pics taken with a phone camera (I actually have some I snapped on the DSLR, but too lazy to upload).

23947917862_ac7995bb70_b.jpg

Losing a lot of sand, since I have been battling cyano and sucking off the surface with airline tubing.

24056153825_0449533ee6_h.jpg

• Like 3

Continuing with the spending spree...got myself a barbonius anthias. I originally wanted a small shoal of bartlett's/carberryi, but couldn't resist a deal on my favorite fish.

Already got it eating pellets, that is half the battle.

23762789599_48c934afd7_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank just moving along - my fire shrimp died randomly which sucks.

Still having a major battle with Cyano on the sand bed. At this point I think I have sucked up most of the sand...tank is going to be bare bottom at this rate.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update? This tank is awesome

Hey Daisy - just chugging along, sorry for the lack of updates. We had a new addition to our family and the tank took a temporary back seat. I'll get on it again!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

It is...but it's  been through a lot ...I had two kids since this launched (now a toddler and infant).  Unfortunately this took the back seat and went downhill.  

A lot died and not a lot grew, but I am back on it.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome back @Newtybar! 👋

That’s great to hear this tank is still up and running! Life gets in the way of the hobby sometimes, but you can bring it back again! There’s definitely a lot of new parents here in the community who can sympathize. 🙂 

Don’t be a stranger!