Coral Vue Hydros

Kessill 360 or nanobox

akma

How is it a single point of failure? If properly setup your Apex can't fail. Even if the head unit dies the outlets are set to a certain mode. So a ON or OFF state. Ya that would suck but you set it so if it does fail they keep vital systems running and shut down others. A separate controller for each item is overkill.

The apex can't die then? As in if the controller/power unit goes bad, everything stays going?

I'm just curious how do you know that? I have a rainbow Acan under my Kessil A160we in my 28G Nanocube and I just can't see where they "cut" that. I also have a nanobox minitide on my Fusion 10G and I'm pretty pleased with that light too, but I just don't see a dramatic difference between those two lights. OP, LED's look different in real life, than what you see in the pictures here and anywhere BTW.

I may be incorrect, but their LED layout and the LEDs they use are available to find online. Ben probably just looked them up. Dude never stops reading about LEDs and tanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The apex can't die then? As in if the controller/power unit goes bad, everything stays going?

If programmed properly. You have what is called a "Fallback" command. So if the headunit dies or becomes disconnected from the power bar it tells the outlets what to do. So you can have your heater, pumps etc left to continue running and your lights to turn off etc. Obviously it isn't foolproof but I've only ever heard of one Apex head unit dying while running a tank. I've heard of far more heaters sticking on or pumps running dry which can be prevented by an Apex.

jedimasterben

I'm just curious how do you know that? I have a rainbow Acan under my Kessil A160we in my 28G Nanocube and I just can't see where they "cut" that.

Saltwater_A160_Feature_img01.gif

How is it a single point of failure? If properly setup your Apex can't fail. Even if the head unit dies the outlets are set to a certain mode. So a ON or OFF state. Ya that would suck but you set it so if it does fail they keep vital systems running and shut down others. A separate controller for each item is overkill.

So if the head unit (the single processor that the system has) fails then it doesn't actually fail? It will be inaccessible to change any relays from their current state, any lighting or flow programmed will cease (as these require active input), etc.

I've been running a kessil 350 over my pico for the passed few months and am very happy whit it. Coming from a halide tank I really like the shimmer it gives and the coral have all been doing well under it. Biggest problem to me would have to be shadowing but that comes with all leds but I'm sure would be less of a problem with a nano box. Can say for sure, never owned one

If programmed properly. You have what is called a "Fallback" command. So if the headunit dies or becomes disconnected from the power bar it tells the outlets what to do. So you can have your heater, pumps etc left to continue running and your lights to turn off etc. Obviously it isn't foolproof but I've only ever heard of one Apex head unit dying while running a tank. I've heard of far more heaters sticking on or pumps running dry which can be prevented by an Apex.

Sure but that is a numbers game. Far more people have tanks without apex control than those that do. You are absolutey going to see more failures of items without apex control than the number of failed apexes themselves.

What i dont understand is how a head unit that has no power or is dead can issue a command or control anything? It's dead/powerless. I assume there is some way

I run. Halides on my main dt. But I'm attaching a frag tank. Was going to go with a 4 bulb ati t5 but looking into leds. I've run ai sol, nano, radion gen 1 2 and 3, kessil 150.

I love t5 because it keeps my colors the same.

I can go see the Kessil 360 locally but don't have the opportunity to see the nanobox around here. Can anyone give me input and why they love theres so much? How is growth and coloration with sps and especially acans.

Thanks

I'd get the sunpower. Impossible to go wrong with ATI.

Only thing I don't like about Kessil is windex look. I like my tanks white and Kessil doesn't seem to have an option for a solid white look whose PAR is just as high as all blue windex.

An impossible no way to mess up option is a 6 bulb ATI Sunpower. Will grow anything with near unlimited color combinations.

So if the head unit (the single processor that the system has) fails then it doesn't actually fail? It will be inaccessible to change any relays from their current state, any lighting or flow programmed will cease (as these require active input), etc.

You still have power to the units themselves and they "Fallback" on to a certain setting. So my MP10s would continue in Reef Crest for example or my Radion would continue to run it's program UNLESS I set those outlets to turn off.

Sure but that is a numbers game. Far more people have tanks without apex control than those that do. You are absolutey going to see more failures of items without apex control than the number of failed apexes themselves.

What i dont understand is how a head unit that has no power or is dead can issue a command or control anything? It's dead/powerless. I assume there is some way

Each outlet has a memory so they either turn on or turn off if the head unit fails.

Im probably not the first, and im most certainly not the last. Shipping yea took forever, longer than told. But after waiting a long time and then receiving the product I was very happy until i got home. Noticing the paint began to rub off. Maybe I shouldnt of said fried but definitely the soldering was crappy as the leds would flicker etc and then not even power. And the gooseneck, and the main head being way to loose. Scared it would fall in the water. Seemed to be very rushed. Most of the time I see Dave being spot on with his leds, which made me choose to go nano box. But you can't be spot on 100% of the time and I was the unlucky one.

But very happy with the kessil as far as color/growth and I can always use it to upgrade and move to bigger tanks. It all is going to come down to what exactly your looking for and your tanks needs.

Trust me you're not the only one that waited. when I ordered mine it almost took 2 months to arrive, and his customer service wasn't the best. He's probably improved now since he's dedicated to nanobox 100%.

Awesome.

I actually have a 4 bulb powermodule.

frag tank is custom built 22x15x10. Here's a pic of the frag tank next to my display. Haven't plumbed it yet. Waiting to decide on a light because that's gonna make my decision easier as to qhich light tree I put on.

20150528_185848_zpsklqamo5a.jpg

20150528_185855_zps79x0ybja.jpg

reefernanoman

No cyan and no red. ;)

Cyan is for what? I don't see it do anything in my fixture TBH(NB). Now red, some people have told me that it should be avoided since it can be jarring. NB doesn't have red either.

Only thing I don't like about Kessil is windex look. I like my tanks white and Kessil doesn't seem to have an option for a solid white look whose PAR is just as high as all blue windex.

An impossible no way to mess up option is a 6 bulb ATI Sunpower. Will grow anything with near unlimited color combinations.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't like them "white" tanks. Does the natural reef really look that white? I guess it depends on the location maybe? IDK.

Cyan is for what? I don't see it do anything in my fixture TBH(NB). Now red, some people have told me that it should be avoided since it can be jarring. NB doesn't have red either.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't like them "white" tanks. Does the natural reef really look that white? I guess it depends on the location maybe? IDK.

Every reef I have dove on was more a 10-12k look to it. Nowhere near the 16-20k people keep their tanks at. The pictures you see of a natural reef are clearly doctored as well because while stuff is incredibly bright it isn't as fluorescent as some of the pictures show.

reefernanoman

Every reef I have dove on was more a 10-12k look to it. Nowhere near the 16-20k people keep their tanks at. The pictures you see of a natural reef are clearly doctored as well because while stuff is incredibly bright it isn't as fluorescent as some of the pictures show.

Got cha.

Cencalfishguy56

True but it's definitely not a 6-7k range haha it would be so dull!

Got cha.

something fun to do being that you have every channel to control is to see how each color brings out different colors in the corals. Try this....

• Go to Scenes
  • Go to Free Mode
  • Turn all channels 1,2,3,4,5
  • Adjust each to see the colors and what they pull out of corals.
  • TADA! :D

-Dave

Paleoreef103

Cyan hits numerous fluorescent proteins that are excited by light around 500 nm. If you search advancedaquarist and fluorescent proteins you'll see how much is excited by light around that wavelength. However, in simplest terms, it really makes oranges and yellows pop like crazy. As for red light in nanobox, they don't have crappy narrow wavelength reds, deep reds, or hyper reds. They use 2700-3000K Warm white diodes. Below is a spectrograph of a rebel es warm white diode (Dave's Luxeon Ts are going to be very similar to this). Notice how the peak is at about 650nm with a broad spectrum instead of the razor sharp peaks of discrete color diodes. This means the diodes blend considerably better and still reflects and excites pigments. This is why the difference between a cool white lit tank and a neutral or warm white lit tank is so noticeable.

PhilipsLumileds_LUXEON_Rebel_ES_chart_LX

Dave's lights are a cut above the rest. For a small company to have so many TOTM winners running their products is pretty indicative (nanotopia's 2015 tank, ninjamyst, teenyreef, trueisb2, justind823, 4x5, and uwwmatt all ran nanobox lights at the time of their winning; currently metrokat's future TOTM is running a nanobox ATI retrofit). However, for a frag tank only where you want a shallow tank with extremely even lighting an ATI T5 would also be an excellent choice.

No offence to Kessil or Dave but I'd like to think there is a little more to winning TOTM than the light hanging over it. I own both and both do the job. :) All that being said I'd use the ATI T5 unit for the frag set up since you own it.
Paleoreef103

No offence to Kessil or Dave but I'd like to think there is a little more to winning TOTM than the light hanging over it. I own both and both do the job. :) All that being said I'd use the ATI T5 unit for the frag set up since you own it.

Yeah, I was more saying that it's a topflight light that some of the best tanks on the website use. No light is so amazing that you can throw out water quality and still get an amazing tank. OK. Maybe if you really love tanks of xenia, kenya tree corals, gsp, and discosoma mushrooms.

I do agree about the ATI T5. If you own one already, it'll be an perfect light for a frag tank. One dirty little secret is that I know a lot of great frag tanks that use cheap Chinese 155W LED lights (Evergrow d120s, reefbreeders, etc.).

By the way, love the new anthias in your tank.

I was in the same boat trying to decide. Caught the Kessil 360W on sale and picked one up. Control from the Apex is really nice. The Kessil is an outstanding choice but I think the Nanobox is also. My biggest issue was I just couldn't head to the LFS to look at the difference between the two.

Cencalfishguy56

I was in the same boat trying to decide. Caught the Kessil 360W on sale and picked one up. Control from the Apex is really nice. The Kessil is an outstanding choice but I think the Nanobox is also. My biggest issue was I just couldn't head to the LFS to look at the difference between the two.

I think that's the deal breaker, it's hard to know what the nanobox looks like in person unless you know someone who owns one

Cencalfishguy56

Working on it. Few big things in the works. :)

Sweet! That's the biggest thing for me is seeing it first, I don't doubt your hard work but everyone has preferences haha

Archived