Cultivated Reef

LED build

Halo_003

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, on the BF I had PWM for each channel but only one GND wire which was the one below CH1. But I just finished checking and all arrays and channels work. (When tested individually.

So it was like:

Ch1 ch2 ch3 ch4

Gnd n/a n/a n/a

Is that wrong?

Well I'm officially completely stumped. All wiring shows up as continuous, all channels and arrays work, all channel outputs on the BF and LDDs work just fine. But when plugged into LDDs White and RB channels don't work. Any suggestions?

Also traced all wiring, it's all wired up to the correct channels. I didn't do anything stupid like wire white - to blue -.

jedimasterben

Did you swap the LDD? Or did you swap the LED strings to another LDD slot on the board? It's unlikely but the board could have a solder point or two missing.

Did you swap the LDD? Or did you swap the LED strings to another LDD slot on the board? It's unlikely but the board could have a solder point or two missing.

Both. I shuffled the LDDs and tried strings in different channels, no dice.

I have a RapidLED Nano driver I'm going to try on the whole string of each channel tomorrow though.

It is very rare now for a bad array to pop up. Ben had the first 12 or 50 that were made. Still test on there own but again not something normal this day and age.

-Dave

Any ideas on this Dave? I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Any ideas on this Dave? I'm not sure what to do at this point.

So I have had a few LDD boards that have come in bad before. It could be the traces. Also check the PWM pin and make sure it is soldered as well.

-Dave

Yeah I was thinking it's my multicable, maybe something is messed up somewhere (but I don't think so lol). That would explain RB and White not working when plugged into any output, but Cyan and UV working on any of the outputs. I'm going to redo all of the inline splices to the fixture and triple check that it's all okay.

So I have had a few LDD boards that have come in bad before. It could be the traces. Also check the PWM pin and make sure it is soldered as well.

-Dave

I'll check on all of that, I didn't notice any traces broken but I'll check again. UV and Cyan work on any output though, so I was thinking if all of the arrays check out (they do) then I guess it must be wiring or something.

At this point I don't know what I even have left to check. BF solder points are all good, LDDs all work, and the different channels all work on the RapidLED Nano Driver plugged in through the multicable. UV and Cyan work when plugged into any channel on the LDDs, White and RB work when connected to other drivers, but not when plugged in to the LDDs. So everything works.

It just doesn't all work together. White and RB don't work on any LDD output, but do on the nano driver. Cyan and UV work on any of the outputs. No shorts or grounding anywhere, no crossed wires, no issues at all that I can find.

Look at the back of the LDD board and tell us what the resistor numbers are. Might have resistors too strong for the 5V signal to push through.

Look at the back of the LDD board and tell us what the resistor numbers are. Might have resistors too strong for the 5V signal to push through.

R1-R4 all say 103.

It was pointed out to me on FB that I'm using a 24V 4A PSU.... And that I need a 48V PSU. And that the 96W it provides allows 2.4W per LED, where 700mA will want to pull 3.25W per LED. Sigh...

Time to order a new power supply, thoughts on Meanwell HLG-240H-48? If I have to replace it I may as well future proof it. On FB I was recommended replacing it with this, but I was a bit skeptical of not having IP65 rating since this will be placed inside my stand.

jedimasterben

That is not actually correct. Wattage is voltage times the amperage. 700mA gives around 2-2.2 watts each. Your power supply only gives the amount of power required, it cannot force more into the LEDs.

In any case, a 24v supply cannot work, your longest series is over 42v.

That is not actually correct. Wattage is voltage times the amperage. 700mA gives around 2-2.2 watts each. Your power supply only gives the amount of power required, it cannot force more into the LEDs.

In any case, a 24v supply cannot work, your longest series is over 42v.

P=IV ;)

One of the equations I remember from Physics haha. I actually didn't do the math on it, just posted what was said on FB.

Ah well... Meanwell HLG-240H-48(!!) is now on the way. I know, probably overkill but I can now add like 5 arrays before needing an upgrade. :) Can't believe it was something so dumb lol.

• 2 months later...

So I finally had time again to put it all together, this time with the correct voltage PSU. Only issue I'm having is that channel 4 buzzes if it's not at 100%. Ch4 is cyan and blue, and it's the actual diodes buzzing, the sound comes from the V3 arrays. Any ideas on how to alleviate that?

Buzzing direct from the LEDs? Weird.

Yeah both diodes on that channel on all three arrays, not sure what to make of it honestly.

I fixed it today, sort of a weird issue but I had the wrong wire plugged into the output so it was running through about 40' of cable lol. (The extra were all taped together on both ends.) so I plugged in the correct one and it fixed it. It's now officially alive.

498E0EB3-5941-446A-A96B-69168E0E110F_zps

65C46675-9DA4-4DAC-80FA-B0B5EC9FCB5D_zps

It's alive. :)

What would you all recommend for hanging it? I bought a hanging kit from Dave but I don't think it's going to work for me, its threads are too big for the holes in the fixture. I was thinking I could 3D print a bracket to be secured at each end so that it slips on a 3/4" rod, but I feel like that will kill the looks of it.

I think another option would be to copy the Radion hanging kit. I haven't figured out where to get the bits to do it DIY though. I could just buy it I suppose. More than I would like to pay but if that's what it will cost to do it right... :unsure:

Just get crimp on eyelets that will fit under the screws that fasten the top plate down. Then use 1/16" stainless cable to create your hanging feature.

Just get crimp on eyelets that will fit under the screws that fasten the top plate down. Then use 1/16" stainless cable to create your hanging feature.

So here's what I have right now:

DEE9CABD-8B96-46FA-B616-978F9EE405D9_zps

I just bought a 50 pack of the crimp on compressions for the 1/16" wire. What would you suggestion be for the part that connects the upside down V shape to the hanging line? The Radion kit has a nifty sleek looking connector, any idea on how to do that piece?

I actually found lanyards on McMaster so I wouldn't need to make the V shaped parts. The connector to hang those though I haven't found yet.

Archived