Cultivated Reef

[RETIRED] Bedroom Pico 5.5 Gallons of Dry Tank

DurocShark

HarryPotter

So I was all, "What's that thing? Looks like a fish died and is rotting there..."

I looked closer and it closed! A clam hitchiker on my zoa frag!

U1EuHLe.jpg

That's fun! Not sure if it's "technically" a clam (I dunno the species?) but I believe most bivalves are helpful in a tank as they clean the water

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Came in Saturday to do a water change, and added carbon to the canister filter. Previously it was just running filter floss and Purigen.

My softies are all open like mad except for the one zoa frag with the weird brown filamentous algae that still only opens part way.

I'm thinking there's something in the air here in the office that was irritating the corals, and the carbon sucked it up. Woot!

Can you get a better shot of the "things" on the zoa? The smaller one on the left in the pic looks like aiptasia - but I am paranoid about them!

Can you get a better shot of the "things" on the zoa? The smaller one on the left in the pic looks like aiptasia - but I am paranoid about them!

Definitely not aiptasia. It doesn't close if I poke at it, and it comes apart fairly easily when grabbed with the tongs.

So glad it is not aiptasia. That stuff gives me nightmares after I had it in my first reef tank (a bio14). When I first saw it I was so happy - thought I had finally gotten a "pretty" hitchhiker. Three months later after the little b*^°@tard became 30, killed most of my corals and I had used everything in the planet to rid of them I actually took all my live rock out piece by piece as they came up and bleached them. I now have a 5 gal quarantine tank (after promising husband I would only have one tank, now a 29, I could justify the little one as he hated watching all the corals die due to the dang things too).

Used this pico to rescue the 10 head duncan from the 70. Started opening up almost immediately, even though it's been closed for a month in the big tank.

fLbFtqr.jpg

Hooray! Bristle worm! I can't imagine how he got in there with just a tiny piece of live rock used to seed the tank. But woot!

pFqMJaL.jpg

(Yeah, craptacular HTC One M8 photo. :( )

whoisthegooch

this is great man! I found your thread while looking for a light for a 5.5 QT tank I'm starting up. I was looking at the wave point. How do you like it?

I'm happy with it. It's not going to grow any demanding corals, but the softies and LPS's I have in there are fine with it so far.

If I decide I need more, there's room to mount an Ecoxotic Stunner or two. :)

Added some stuff:

Green and white rock nem.

Neon goby.

Two sexy shrimp.

:)

Pics next week once they've settled in.

Neon goby didn't make it through the weekend. :(

Got a nitrate spike from his corpse being in there, but not much. Other parameters are fine. Just too stressed from the fish store to the tank I guess.

Peroxide killed the bryopsis in my 9g. It never came back. :)

This is fading, so I'm holding off on treating it for now. And at the moment I need to figure out what the hell happened to the fish.

I think I've figured out why they died... The maintenance guys shampooed the carpets on Sunday.

I think I'm going to need to get this tank out of my office. :(

Tank's coming home tonight. I brought a bucket and water jugs to do it.

Sucks.

However, I have an ecocube c coming soon (if they ever ship the damn things) and I'll put that in its place so I have something.

It's home:

5JiztVP.jpg

The corals are all fine, though the temperature is pretty brutal. It's so hot my AC can't get the house below 88*. Yikes!

I'm not changing anything until the heatwave is over, or until I finish building my peltier chiller, whichever is first.

Archived