Cultivated Reef

My (non-nano) Macro Lagoon

phobos2deimos

My goal is to never change the water if I can help it. Usually 2-3 months between 50% changes, and that's almost always because I screwed up dosing (100+ ppm nitrates) or my brother doses a damned gallon of calcium! :D

I have started dosing trace elements to help with the lack of water changes. I'm curious to see if I get different/better growth due to that.

Never changing the water is actually a challenge - not so much because of nutrient build up, like in a typical reef, but because of the constant depletion of nutrients. The challenge is in the stuff we can't or don't know to measure for.

Have you thought about going with dosing pumps?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get good growth from some of my macros and I do big water changes because of the seahorses. Even at that I still dose iron, magnesium and occasionally iodine to make up for depletion of nutrients. I use straight tap water so they are probably getting some nutrients there too.

phobos2deimos

Have you thought about going with dosing pumps?

I have, and I did get pretty close to biting the bullet. But the BubbleMagus stuff is too pricey for me, and the cheaper options with controllers seem to be finicky or unreliable. The Jebao doser seemed like a great choice but there's a real nice long thread full of problems with it over on RC.

The other option is building DIY dosers, (or getting BRS dosers), but then I'd need a controller, which means I'm into buying all sorts of other stuff. Someday I probably will, or maybe even build my own arduino or rPi controller. That would be fun!

• 4 weeks later...
phobos2deimos

How is that lettuce sea slug doing? I heard they are hard to keep alive.

I unfortunately lost the slug (and my shrimp, and my porcelain crab) a while back when my nitrates spiked (over 100+ppm!) from overdosing. It did well for the time that I had it, active and colorful. I'll probably try again once I get dosing levels figured out a little better.

phobos2deimos

So my nitrates... are around 160ppm :o Kind of impressed with how well my few corals and nem are handling it. Gonna have to cut back on dosing nitrate for a week, and jacking up my phosphate dosing to help bring the N down. Not much else going on with the tank other than letting things grow in, cleaning up the scape a little more, got several new macros in but haven't figured out where to put them yet.

A few new shots! All untouched and under daylights w/blues.

Halymenia sp. (I'm naming it Pink Dragon - it's a lot like Dragon's Tongue, but pinker and without any iridescence)
RfH72bD.jpg

rv7ORe5.jpg

Blue Ochtodes
VnVHpd0.jpg

J5JddoT.jpg

Hypnea Pannosa
zCFZ1jt.jpg

Frogspawn, made because I moved it but looking very colorful these nitrate levels! Actually much brighter in person.
PiJBtiF.jpg

Grandis doing good in lower light, need more light for better color though.
EYJa463.jpg

FlGfWye.jpg

Freebie from Edward!
gVC0yma.jpg

Looks great Andrew. Are those the grandi palys you had for sale? I was gonna ask about those but saw that you had them for sale as part of a frag pack.

phobos2deimos

Looks great Andrew. Are those the grandi palys you had for sale? I was gonna ask about those but saw that you had them for sale as part of a frag pack.

Thanks, and yep, that's them. I think they normally run $10/polyp (what I paid on SDR), and there are 6-7 polyps, so $30 for the pack is a steal! :D

Thanks, and yep, that's them. I think they normally run $10/polyp (what I paid on SDR), and there are 6-7 polyps, so $30 for the pack is a steal! :D

That is a steal. Hmm are you still selling the pack? I'll send you a pm later or tomorrow morning.

phobos2deimos

That is a steal. Hmm are you still selling the pack? I'll send you a pm later or tomorrow morning.

Yessir, sounds good! Do you have room?! :P

phobos2deimos
Sump shots too! Packed, I need to move more stuff up to the display.
kfWfsCq.jpg
mvn5smU.jpg
The Hypnea and especially Ochtodes have been doing awesomely! I have one rock that's totally bare in my display, thinking about covering it in Ochtodes.
jDwO44w.jpg

Looking great! I gotta send you some updated pics of that moss wall you helped me out with!

Definitely!!

phobos2deimos

Where did you get Blue Ochtodes? I looked on reefs2go but don't see any

I got it from someone on eBay, which is where I get most of the more uncommon macros lately. I've ordered from R2G several times but will no longer after several DOAs and unauthorized substitutions.

HarryPotter

I have, and I did get pretty close to biting the bullet. But the BubbleMagus stuff is too pricey for me, and the cheaper options with controllers seem to be finicky or unreliable. The Jebao doser seemed like a great choice but there's a real nice long thread full of problems with it over on RC.

The other option is building DIY dosers, (or getting BRS dosers), but then I'd need a controller, which means I'm into buying all sorts of other stuff. Someday I probably will, or maybe even build my own arduino or rPi controller. That would be fun!

ORRRR a BRS doser with simple timers that are like $7 each

phobos2deimos

ORRRR a BRS doser with simple timers that are like $7 each

Looked at that too, but I'm dosing so much different stuff that I'd have to buy... a lot of pumps. Plus that fact that some pumps won't shut off once turned on depending on the timer (mechanical vs electronic solenoid, as seen with the RKE/RKL PB4 issue). For my budget the only thing that works is the Jebao or DIY chinese pumps, but both seem to have reliability issues that I don't want to take the chance on.

Kind of a bummer, but low tech ain't so bad.

HarryPotter

Looked at that too, but I'm dosing so much different stuff that I'd have to buy... a lot of pumps. Plus that fact that some pumps won't shut off once turned on depending on the timer (mechanical vs electronic solenoid, as seen with the RKE/RKL PB4 issue). For my budget the only thing that works is the Jebao or DIY chinese pumps, but both seem to have reliability issues that I don't want to take the chance on.

Kind of a bummer, but low tech ain't so bad.

I have a Jebao DP4 that I really like. I do have a little back-siphoning issue. Need to buy some anti-siphon valves

phobos2deimos

I have a Jebao DP4 that I really like. I do have a little back-siphoning issue. Need to buy some anti-siphon valves

I did get super close to buying one, but the big deal breaker for me was that I read it doesn't keep settings after a power outage. And with my wife tripping the tank's circuit twice a month, that was a big problem :(

Manbearfish

I got it from someone on eBay, which is where I get most of the more uncommon macros lately. I've ordered from R2G several times but will no longer after several DOAs and unauthorized substitutions.

So I'm not the only one! I had a macro pack come from them yesterday and not only did I never get a tracking email sent to me or any sort of contact email whatsoever about my order, but my package comes and they just crossed some of the stuff in the package out with a sharpie and wrote in new subs which I can't even read, I was a little bummed to be fully honest.

HarryPotter

I did get super close to buying one, but the big deal breaker for me was that I read it doesn't keep settings after a power outage. And with my wife tripping the tank's circuit twice a month, that was a big problem :(

Um- yeah it does! :)

Jebao DP4 has a battery that lasts a few days if the power goes out; I've personally done this a bunch of times

phobos2deimos

So I'm not the only one! I had a macro pack come from them yesterday and not only did I never get a tracking email sent to me or any sort of contact email whatsoever about my order, but my package comes and they just crossed some of the stuff in the package out with a sharpie and wrote in new subs which I can't even read, I was a little bummed to be fully honest.

I always get the tracking email like a week later. Kinda useless. They are fairly responsive with complaints and DOA credit, but their $20 shipping kind of kills it when the macro is $4. If I could do it again I think I would've just done a credit card chargeback, which I really try not to do but wasting money with them is not fun.

Also, I am loving your user name and avatar. I'm super cereal.

Um- yeah it does! :)

Jebao DP4 has a battery that lasts a few days if the power goes out; I've personally done this a bunch of times

Really? Awesome, I will check it out again. I was reading through a long thread on RC about the DP4 issues and that was mentioned, but maybe I was mistaken! Thank you.

Thanks for the info. I am looking to add more macro's to my mangrove tank, so I will keep using ebay and skip R2G.

If you ever sell any, lmk.

Actually, I think I found you on ebay. Are you selling a $65 high-end saltwater macroalgae plant pack? The pictures on the listing look identical to this thread. Or did you just repost pictures from that sellers listing?

Manbearfish

I always get the tracking email like a week later. Kinda useless. They are fairly responsive with complaints and DOA credit, but their $20 shipping kind of kills it when the macro is $4. If I could do it again I think I would've just done a credit card chargeback, which I really try not to do but wasting money with them is not fun.

Also, I am loving your user name and avatar. I'm super cereal.

Really? Awesome, I will check it out again. I was reading through a long thread on RC about the DP4 issues and that was mentioned, but maybe I was mistaken! Thank you.

Haha thanks, I'm also a gamer at heart, my other "hobby" :naughtydance:

Archived