Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My (non-nano) Macro Lagoon

phobos2deimos

phobos2deimos

Thanks for the info. I am looking to add more macro's to my mangrove tank, so I will keep using ebay and skip R2G.

If you ever sell any, lmk.

Actually, I think I found you on ebay. Are you selling a $65 high-end saltwater macroalgae plant pack? The pictures on the listing look identical to this thread. Or did you just repost pictures from that sellers listing?

Yep - I don't know if it's okay to post eBay stuff here so I didn't specify, but yes, that's me.

Beautiful tank

Thank you!

Just spent about a hundred bucks on various seagrasses, all should arrive Friday! Very excited and can't wait to fill in some of that open space!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
phobos2deimos

Got my orders in! Just threw them in the tank to settle and took a couple shots, will scape this weekend. They look good!
MjtkPek.jpg
xYw649g.jpg
8S7V2Md.jpg
I also ordered a couple or porcelain crabs. They shipped five, one died and the rest came through okay. Even got a little baby! I hope the wrasses don't get him... Too little too late but I should have put him in the sump :doh:
0USOfL6.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just found your thread! I'm loving all your macros :)

Me makes three...

Anyways - liking the tank hope it's still up.

Important question for you - since I've just started a display refugium (and I've seen a few people starting macro tanks). So far I have caulerpa prolifera & chaeto but I hope to add more soon.

In your experience, what are the 3 most important things needed to be successful in keeping macros?

• 3 weeks later...
phobos2deimos

Sorry for the delay guys, been just totally overwhelmed lately. I'm glad you all enjoyed the tank.

I broke it down several months ago so I could focus on some other things for a while.

Me makes three...

Anyways - liking the tank hope it's still up.

Important question for you - since I've just started a display refugium (and I've seen a few people starting macro tanks). So far I have caulerpa prolifera & chaeto but I hope to add more soon.

In your experience, what are the 3 most important things needed to be successful in keeping macros?

I think, other than the typical mixed reef requirements, there's only really one specific tip - nutrient balance. Conventional reef knowledge tells you to get rid of all nutrients no matter what, and if you have an algae issue then the solution is to reduce nutrients.

For a macro tank, I don't think this applies. Or if it does, it's not the only way.

I found a pretty sweet spot around .4-.8ppm PO4 to every ~15ppm N3. If I saw a nuisance algae outbreak, I found that usually it was caused by nutrients being out of balance - too much or too little of this or that. Don't be afraid to *add* nutrients to correct the issue.

I think, other than the typical mixed reef requirements, there's only really one specific tip - nutrient balance. Conventional reef knowledge tells you to get rid of all nutrients no matter what, and if you have an algae issue then the solution is to reduce nutrients.

For a macro tank, I don't think this applies. Or if it does, it's not the only way.

I found a pretty sweet spot around .4-.8ppm PO4 to every ~15ppm N3. If I saw a nuisance algae outbreak, I found that usually it was caused by nutrients being out of balance - too much or too little of this or that. Don't be afraid to *add* nutrients to correct the issue.

Thanks for the tip. So far i am having very good luck with my macros but i really appreciate the ratio advise as i never heard that before. My seahorse tank runs about .5 PO4 to 10-20 ppm of nitrates. The seahorses are dirty and put a heavy bioload on the tank and i can't really get the nitrates any lower. I do a 30% or better WC every week and skim with an oversized skimmer. Now with reading your advise i am going to quit trying to get the nitrates lower. For the seahorses health i do need to keep dissolved organics under control though.

Archived