SaltCritters.com

RedSea Reefer 170 Build

dcbaros

Keep an eye on the return hose connection to the tank. My first one leaked. We went to the lfs that I bought the tank from and they pulled another one from a tank they had just set up and it leaked also. Not sure if it's a design flaw or not. It had both teflon tape and an o-ring. May try putting silicone around the threads and see if that helps. Also going to contact Red Sea.

Noticed it and fixed it by adding more teflon tape as well as a hose clamp. Here is the aquascape. Kessil is temporary.

nInDvuy.jpg?1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have ran into a problem with the bubble magus curve 5. It continues to overflow no matter what the water level. This seems to be a common problem. Any ideas?

Is that the 160 Kessil? How does the coverage look, is it bright enough?

No it's the 150. Just a spare I had, I'm not using it. I don't think it's bright enough.

This thing was hard to aquascape! You're moving right along and looking good! Love the way that radio looks above the tank. Thats a bad*** light for that tank.

Did you have to remove part of the overflow cover to allow for the clamp?

This thing was hard to aquascape! You're moving right along and looking good! Love the way that radio looks above the tank. Thats a bad*** light for that tank.

Did you have to remove part of the overflow cover to allow for the clamp?

Thanks! Yeah but it was designed to be removed if needed. Unfortunately you have to take the light off to open the overflow but no big deal.

So there seems to be two dead zones next to the overflow. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? I suppose I should add another MP10, but I was also considering the gyre. Any input?

So there seems to be two dead zones next to the overflow. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? I suppose I should add another MP10, but I was also considering the gyre. Any input?

Well I ended up getting another MP10. Flow is great now.

• 2 weeks later...

So everything is going well and I am now down to just one tank (sold the IM Fusion 20). One thing I did notice is that the corralline algae growth that the IM nuvo fusion had with the kessil in one week was greater than the last 4 months under the ecotech. I am seriously considering ditching ecotech and going back to kessil, maybe the a360n. Perhaps my Radion intensity wasn't high enough?

HarryPotter

So everything is going well and I am now down to just one tank (sold the IM Fusion 20). One thing I did notice is that the corralline algae growth that the IM nuvo fusion had with the kessil in one week was greater than the last 4 months under the ecotech. I am seriously considering ditching ecotech and going back to kessil, maybe the a360n. Perhaps my Radion intensity wasn't high enough?

What intensity? I have insane coraline and SPS growth w. Radion

What intensity? I have insane coraline and SPS growth w. Radion

I was at about 45%. I just changed it to 70% on the coral radiance preset.

Your tanks looking amazing.

As far as the coraline growth it has alot more to do with your parameters then your light your calcium levels my have dropped a little there could be less nuisance algea

Therefore the coraline doesn't go into survival mode and spread everywhere. Im not saying that its not your light im just saying its very unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love it! Wish I could afford one of these right now. Just saw the reefer nano at Fish Gallery in Austin the other day. Hook 'em Horns!

• 3 weeks later...

Keep an eye on the return hose connection to the tank. My first one leaked. We went to the lfs that I bought the tank from and they pulled another one from a tank they had just set up and it leaked also. Not sure if it's a design flaw or not. It had both teflon tape and an o-ring. May try putting silicone around the threads and see if that helps. Also going to contact Red Sea.

thats what my issue is currently,was the pipe that screws into the overflow box leaking or was the the barbed hose connection that was leaking?

Archived