Cultivated Reef

Nathan's Shallow Reef

Nstocks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two Aqua medic powerhead either side of the rock pile but I hate the cables that go over the tank (and will be even worse when I install the mesh cover)

Is it true one Vortech can *almost* replace two powerheads? I'm getting good flow with two Ecodrift 4.0 but hate the cables and fear one Vortech won't cover as much space?

Dreamt up a new tank last night... Nothing too extreme, just double the height of my current tank so I can create a large rock pile with varying height sand bed... It would be 750mm x 750mm x 600mm... Over 300L LPS only tank with 3 yellow tangs and a bartlett Anthias which probably won't do well without much swimming length.

Does anyone else go through these dreams?

Strongly considering a larger tank which would require a few constraints:

790 x 790 foot print to use the same cabinet (and light) as I have

Mame overflow compatible, which would be very low flow to the sump

Fish stocking would be Anthias, ideally a yellow tank but length and aggression is an issue and a couple of wrasse (christmas if I can get one over here)

LPS only stocking with a steep rock pile on one corner. This is what I currently have and really like the fish behaviour of swimming in the open space during the day, and receding to the reef at night.

I've considered a pre-manufactured tank but the depth to length ratio doesn't appeal to me and they generally quite low down for me at 6' 3".

Ideas?

post-85519-0-70962000-1445172069_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

No plans for a lid as of yet. If anything tries to jump out, I'll make a mesh cover for it. It's already designed in preparation!

I'm sloooowly catching up on this thread, not sure if you got a lid or what fish you actually have. But if a fish tries to jump out - it just will, it's not an attempt. :flower:

Some Mandarins will do "rises" in the evening, with or without a mate. In a shallow tank, they run out of vertical wall fast.

Mandarin jumped out :wacko:

I was at work, but my parents were at home, but unfortunately it was too late, I'm so upset.

I feel like selling the f****** tank because it's one thing after another and I'm still not happy with it and don't have the £100's it's going to take to get it how I want it - more rock, coral and of course, fish. I don't think I can even go through replacing him but he was such a great fish.

Horrible ending to a terrible day at work. He was my friend!!!!

WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

(because I didn't cover it)

:( I'm sorry :(

Your SPS could have had 2 issues.

1. Pests

2. Nutrition

If you still have the bigger acro colony, I would examine it for AEFW. The base rock it was on points to a maricultured colony and those are notorious for pests.

Nutrition wise I think there was a lot going on on your tank and a lot of changes done rapidly. 3 months into the tank you are supposed to see diatoms, algae, and stuff that does not appeal. This is a normal part of how a reef matures. Part of the reason the chaeto did not do well for you is not the lack of light - I had chaeto grow in a dark corner of my sump for over 2 years. Chaeto sucks up nitrates like a boss, and loves phosphates too. If you have low levels of these, then SPS also show the effects by getting lighter in color or losing flesh if combined with other factors.

It is important to have measurable nitrates and phosphates, zero is not a good idea. If you have undetectable levels and have problems like a lot of GHA or cyano, or something really undesirable, then the nutrients are being used by them, and not being detected in our test kits for that reason.

The tarp cover was cute.

Thanks for popping in metrokat.

Yup, sadly Mandy jumped out and it broke my heat a little because he was doing so well :(

All SPS have been removed from the tank. I was probably a bit naive in thinking that good water changes will help keep everything in balance (on a new tank) but that was lesson 1 I learnt myself.

On another forum I learnt a lot more about algae, diatoms and nutrients and the tarp cover was through a mix of suggestions and again, an experiment and lesson in itself.

I'm much happier with the idea of LPS only, even considered fish only but Euphyllia grab my attention in their flowing movements that SPS just don't provide.

Stocking has been updated on page 1.

Once you've caught up, do chime in from time to time, especially now when I'm considering an upgrade. Still deciding on potential stocking before I make the decision to go twice as high.

Bursting with ideas after watching 'Live on the Reef' on the discovery channel.

I've envisioned a off-centre island reef with a small amount LPS and 3 mangrove trees within a 1200mm x 800 x 600 tank (but realistically quite a bit smaller as I have concerns with the weight, even though it's on a ground concrete floor)

With this idea I could perhaps stick to one Hydra 52 above the mangrove (unless it will be too bright) and just light the main focus instead of trying to light ever square inch of the tank.

• 5 months later...

Archived