ReefCleaners.org

Vortech MP10 vs Jebao RW-4

Hexadron

bdevillier19

I had an mp10 and it was pretty noisey from the start. When I upgraded to my 60 gallon the mp10s weren't enough flow even at 100%, but the noise was even worse. So I bought a pair of rw-8s and even at the second from the lowest setting in terms of power, the rw-8s out performed the mp10s in regards to flow. The mp10 is rated 200-1500 gph per ecotech and the rw-8 is 200-2000 gph. So with the mp10s pushing 1500 gph each they didn't do as much as the rw-8s running 400-500 gph each. And to top it off I can hear my rw-8s even with my head next to them.

slevin007

Having spent a little more time with both now, I love them both but there are some serious advantages to the MP10 obviously. The controllability to me is the biggest issue. I love how I can change just about everything with the MP, since Im running them both in an IM 40 there is not a ton of Width. the MP10 allows me to really dial it back. The RW seems to be pretty powerful even when its turned down all the way, and the night mode is hit or miss. The price point is the problem. you can get 4 RW's for the price of 1 MP10....

I own an RW-4 now but it hasn't collected enough dust yet. It will be replacing a WP10 which is probably the worst Jaebo pump made, just a real lemon and I've been able to keep one running because I bought 2 and can use the parts from the other.

My MP10 is the loudest pump in the house, sitting right next to a 150 gallon tank with an MP40 that is much quieter. I think it's the size and the fact it tends to whine at higher speeds while the larger MP40 makes a nice powerful hum. I do like the vortechs for temperature control. In my 150 every RW I've added (using the RW 15's) has increased the tank temperature which becomes a problem in the summer for me.

For the love of god please reply here or make a thread! I am really looking forward to hearing your impressions. :haha: I really love the MP10 for its modes and small footprint, but yea, my tank is near me for a lot of the day, and drove me to buying the Jebao for now at least.

You lucked out! Or I am unlucky. I'm happy that you have such quiet operation for these units. I really hope the Jebao is quieter. Depending on some more thorough/truthful reviews of the QD, I may upgrade in the future.

I have 2 new MP10wQD pumps on the way as well. I also have access to a sound meter. Soon as I get my tank I'll set them up and test it. That is about 4 weeks away though as I just signed the tank order papers Monday.

I have 2 new MP10wQD pumps on the way as well. I also have access to a sound meter. Soon as I get my tank I'll set them up and test it. That is about 4 weeks away though as I just signed the tank order papers Monday.

That would be amazing! Thanks braaap.

VW_TDI_02

I see a couple have said that the MP10 has a few "obvious advantages" but could someone help explain what they are? Like, someone said control but I know my RW-4 has amazing control and frankly I don't know what else there would be to control. Already have the intensity control and how quickly/slowly the waves start and stop and I'm assuming the MP10 can do the same right?

[Edit]

The MP10 is listed as being more powerful.

reefernanoman

I see a couple have said that the MP10 has a few "obvious advantages" but could someone help explain what they are? Like, someone said control but I know my RW-4 has amazing control and frankly I don't know what else there would be to control. Already have the intensity control and how quickly/slowly the waves start and stop and I'm assuming the MP10 can do the same right?

[Edit]

Well, my Apex Jr controls both of my mp10's wirelessly, and one of them is not even in the same room! One is inside my NC 28g located in my living room (Apex Jr inside cabinet), and the other mp10 is inside my fusion 10g located in the first guest room in my house, which is pretty far away. I would call that an advantage!

Well, my Apex Jr controls both of my mp10's wirelessly, and one of them is not even in the same room! One is inside my NC 28g located in my living room (Apex Jr inside cabinet), and the other mp10 is inside my fusion 10g located in the first guest room in my house, which is pretty far away. I would call that an advantage!

A very cool advantage as well. I had mine controlling 2 tanks as well. I had one on a tank in my living room and then ran an aquabus through the walls about 150ft to another room for an EB8. The WXM controlled the other MP10 in that far room and the Apex could control both tanks.

VW_TDI_02

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have an Apex so that would be of little use to me. But again, thanks for clarifying. I've never had the chance to mess around with one in person.

[Edit]

Tanks temperature. In tank motors add heat. May or may not be a concern.

reefernanoman

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have an Apex so that would be of little use to me. But again, thanks for clarifying. I've never had the chance to mess around with one in person.

You don't know what you are missing out on! Little use to you? Get one, and you would me amazed how many things you can automate with it! Absolutely astonishing how many things you can do with one of these mini computers.

VW_TDI_02

You don't know what you are missing out on! Little use to you? Get one, and you would me amazed how many things you can automate with it! Absolutely astonishing how many things you can do with one of these mini computers.

I actually use a ReefKeeper Lite with three PC4s and a SL1 module. I couldn't afford the Apex and this does pretty much everything I need. Only bad part is that I don't have the web connection.

[Edit]

Should probably get back on topic, hahaha.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Rw4 on my 29 bio cube and I love the small profile. It still gives a wider flow and the night mode and random modes are nice. Obviously price difference is nice to. I would have bought the mp10 but I didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ also I have always read they get noisey.

I have a 12g With 1 MP10 and it has provided more than enough flow in my tank, can't speak for the Jebao powerhead as I have never used one. When I first got the MP10 there was a break in period of about a week and a half where it was pretty loud, since then it got much quieter and being in my living room i rarely notice it unless everything is dead silent and its going at a high rate.

Archived