Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Murph's Tank Reset...

Murphs_Reef

Hmm.. Another day and it's continuing to climb. Having a right drama at the moment..

i know 20ppm isn't a deal breaker as such but it's really annoying as my duncans is now in a state of constant pissed-off-ness...

Bummer. Do you ever clean your LR? Blast it hard with a turkey baster, you'll be amazed at how much crap accumulates in it that you can't see on the surface. I have a solid crew of bristle worms cleaning mine and it still gets gunky as hell inside.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bummer. Do you ever clean your LR? Blast it hard with a turkey baster, you'll be amazed at how much crap accumulates in it that you can't see on the surface. I have a solid crew of bristle worms cleaning mine and it still gets gunky as hell inside.

Yeah I did start blasting last week, see my gallery' pix.. I have some pretty good sized bristle worms (around 10 at last count so say 20 lol)

Still really struggling to manage Nitrate levels here. Phosphate seems to be within a manageable range just above readable levels. I have reduced feeding to every 3 days short term to see if that helps but nothing.

Corals seem to be ok with it however the seer volume of algae growth is terrible, lots of diatoms, I guess this is due to silicates in a small amount of "play sand gate" left in the substrate. Lighting times have been reduced to 7 hrs for the main lighting and 9 hrs total for blues.

My white sand isn't so white anymore.. And keeping glass clear... You can almost watch the algae grow!

• 2 weeks later...

So move. Have the TMC RO unit running, I have been looking at salt brands n stuck on Royal Nature, seems good pleads of good reviews online, one of my pals use it and swears by it so all good.

Dropped my refrac on the floor so back to using a floating hydrometer for now.. Lifting the SG up over the next week from 1.022 to 26 after the LFS incident..

So last Saturday, my heater broke. I didn't notice till Monday with a bunch of distractions.. Lost all coral other than Xenia (of course) and 1 clown!

So now I have RO unit of my own it's going to make the next job a bit easier. Full tank breakdown and rebuild.

I have a 80cm by 30cm and 40cm high, it's a 95 litre tank.. Thinking of looking at a nano box for this going forward

So last Saturday, my heater broke. I didn't notice till Monday with a bunch of distractions.. Lost all coral other than Xenia (of course) and 1 clown!

So now I have RO unit of my own it's going to make the next job a bit easier. Full tank breakdown and rebuild.

I have a 80cm by 30cm and 40cm high, it's a 95 litre tank.. Thinking of looking at a nano box for this going forward

Sounds like a pretty cool plan

Does your ro unit have a DI filter? If not you can pick one up for fairly cheap and I would recommend using a di filter and not just ro if making your own water.

Does your ro unit have a DI filter? If not you can pick one up for fairly cheap and I would recommend using a di filter and not just ro if making your own water.

No I don't as it happens TDS is less that 5 though.. Nitrate and phosphate is 0, I rekon your right... I'll scope one out.

Sounds like a pretty cool plan

cheers - not sure if i will DIY or nano box yet. I quite fancy doing a DIY but if it goes wrong or not as i want it to look then double up on the cash for nothing... ??!!

• 2 weeks later...

Right I'm just about ready to start planning my tank reset.

I think I have decided on a nanobox duo for the lighting..I'll retire the Arcadia out and use that for a QT tank but not just yet,

So of course there will be a cycle as I am going to strip the tank down, empty it and give it a good scrape. I plan on holding what is left of my live stock n clown in a smaller tank (maybe a 5 gallon??) until my display is back up and cycled..

A few question I have:

I want to do a proper job on acquascaping this time, holding the rock together with rods building 2 high structures or some kind. These will be built with the existing live rock, after reading a number of posts and articles, there are suggestions of wrapping the rock in wet newspaper, towels or what not.. Or just spraying them with tank water periodically. As there is very diverse life on these rocks which lets face it I'm not got to get off, worms, algaes, pods, feathers etc. how long can I push keeping the rock out of water to do work on them with minimal die off.. Kinda knowing that I bought them and took them home in plastic bags with no water in them.. Can I assume half an hour or so would be ok?

As for the sand and crushed coral (fine) mix can I just clean with Tap water till the water runs clear then use RO to rinse off or do I need to make a lot of salt water and clean off that way?

I will be moving to a shallow sand bed (an inch or less) as my experience with a deep is that it's just to much hassle maintaining it to look clean and white.

I am going to complete the test kit set and buy copper and mag test kits this time around as well, to make sure I have a strong understanding of the water column going forward.. Apart from the other standard, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alk, Ammonia and nitrite, is there any thing else you suggest?

Archived